Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

My upgrade agenda. Insights?

Well, I think I have a Road Map on how I'm going to be doing my upgrades:

1: $650.00 - Cobb Stage 1 Package (AccessPort & Rear Mount)
http://www.cobbtuning.com/products/stage-package/ford-fiesta-st-stage-1-power-package-w-v3-1

2: $250.00 - E-Tune from Adam at Tune+
http://www.adamtuned.com/collection...products/2014-1-6l-fiesta-st-e-tuning-package

3: $800.00 - MAP Intercooler and Charge Pipe
http://www.maperformance.com/map-20...pipe-upgrade-2014-ford-fiesta-st-fist-ic.html
http://www.maperformance.com/map-20...pe-upgrade-2014-ford-fiesta-st-fist-cpkx.html

4: $325.00 - Cobb Intake
http://www.cobbtuning.com/products/air-induction/ford-fiesta-st-intake-system

5: $700.00 - MAP CatBack Exhaust
http://www.maperformance.com/map-cat-back-exhaust-2014-ford-fiesta-st-fist-cbe.html

I'm also looking at some big brake kits, but haven't decided on anything yet.
After that's done, I'll start doing some aesthetic stuff like some Rally Mudflaps, Rims, Front Splitter and Spoiler Extension, etc.

Anything missing in your guy's opinion? I'm not worried about major upgrades like improving the turbo or anything just yet. Doing all this is going to take me the year anyway, and I honestly don't know if I want huge power gains, considering Adam is going to be able to improve it dramatically with just this stuff anyway. But outside the tune, intercooler and charge pipes, intake, and exhaust does it seem like I'm missing anything?

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
You'll get roughly the same power results without the cat-back, intake and charge pipes. You'd save a lot of money... Pick up a panel filter and silicone pipe, and mod the airbox for the intake. On big turbo my car is making ~300/300 with a mostly stock intake, and stock charge pipes.

C. love

You'll get roughly the same power results without the cat-back, intake and charge pipes. You'd save a lot of money... Pick up a panel filter and silicone pipe, and mod the airbox for the intake. On big turbo my car is making ~300/300 with a mostly stock intake, and stock charge pipes.

I agree with the charge pipe, I dont think they are a bottle neck until you get a bigger turbo. i feel the exhaust and intake would be needed for extra power output, any turbo car benefits from a freer flowing system. Price wise though unless you are not mechanically inclined I would seriously consider used or piecing things together. Sure it takes longer and is a slight more hassle but you save alot of money.

I did my inter-cooler setup (mishimoto with stock pipes) for 200 bucks. The IC had a cosmetic blemish and cost me 150 shipped and new, the two couplers and aluminum 90's made up the other $50. i did have to trim the bumper support and make brackets. Well worth it.

I got an AP for $350 shipped used

I filled the motor mount with windshield urethane $10. Works I would say almost as good as the cobb or similar mount does

I bought a MBRP T409 exhaust for $499 from Cj pony parts got some points which gave me a $20 discount on a Cobb shift knob lol. And there is a $75 rebate on the exhaust right now so it was $425

I bought a new injen intake also on a sale i was say it was like $230 shipped.

Currently that adam tune sounds like a good deal but I wanna do more research.

So I am at $1155

Not including the adam tune you are at $2,475!!! Thats crazy!! Literally double my cost. Hell that's some suspension or a set of wheels hell maybe both. Maybe I am just cheap or maybe I have done this car BS long enough I can deal with some minor inconveniences.

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
I agree with the charge pipe, I dont think they are a bottle neck until you get a bigger turbo. i feel the exhaust and intake would be needed for extra power output, any turbo car benefits from a freer flowing system. Price wise though unless you are not mechanically inclined I would seriously consider used or piecing things together. Sure it takes longer and is a slight more hassle but you save alot of money.

I did my inter-cooler setup (mishimoto with stock pipes) for 200 bucks. The IC had a cosmetic blemish and cost me 150 shipped and new, the two couplers and aluminum 90's made up the other $50. i did have to trim the bumper support and make brackets. Well worth it.

I got an AP for $350 shipped used

I filled the motor mount with windshield urethane $10. Works I would say almost as good as the cobb or similar mount does

I bought a MBRP T409 exhaust for $499 from Cj pony parts got some points which gave me a $20 discount on a Cobb shift knob lol. And there is a $75 rebate on the exhaust right now so it was $425

I bought a new injen intake also on a sale i was say it was like $230 shipped.

Currently that adam tune sounds like a good deal but I wanna do more research.

So I am at $1155

Not including the adam tune you are at $2,475!!! Thats crazy!! Literally double my cost. Hell that's some suspension or a set of wheels hell maybe both. Maybe I am just cheap or maybe I have done this car BS long enough I can deal with some minor inconveniences.
The engine will only flow so much air in and out. The stock intake box and charge pipes are still good on my big turbo since the only limiting factor is fuel (which will soon be fixed).

frankiefiesta

1000 Post Club
I agree with [MENTION=225]C. love[/MENTION]

Try to find most parts used. The only parts I bought "new" was my intercooler, pre sale $400. Tune from Adam (better than OTS tunes, and it's for life) and my catback which I also got on clearance from mod bargains. Most parts can be had for much cheaper in the for sale section.

I also agree with hijinx in a sense where intake and catback can wait until last or if you find a good deal

C. love

The engine will only flow so much air in and out. The stock intake box and charge pipes are still good on my big turbo since the only limiting factor is fuel (which will soon be fixed).
I am not disputing the charge pipes at all, matter of fact I will probably never do them myself. Intake wise sure you can get away with a panel filter, riding the bay of all the extra stuff and having some cool intake noises is at least worth the extra money spent, although you are right its not needed. An exhaust is needed the stock system is a choking point

I have to disagree on the bigger turbo as a feasible route...whats that 2 grand ish+ ? IMO that's really unneeded unless max power is your goal. I come from the camp of I want a fun-er than normal daily with little or no problems/issues to deal with, i want to be able to drive across this country and back with no issues, no looking for special fuels, no wondering of this or that. My fiesta is not my "race car" and mods like a bigger turbo, meth injection, cams etc etc etc are a rabbit hole you can and probably will get trapped in. In the end you have a finicky and uncomfortable car. Intake exhaust are easy mods that yield power with almost zero down sides on the reliability front.

OP
T
Thread Starter #7
I don't really care about price, just the parts. I'll toss another 100k into the car if it make me happy. Money doesn't matter here.

So far the big thing is some people are saying to not replace any piping at all, while others are saying do. Why not though? Or does it honestly not make a difference? Materials do matter as well, plastics obviously retain more heat, thereby increasing air temperature. Also what size are the current pipes, or is opening the air flow actually going to harm power flow?

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
I am not disputing the charge pipes at all, matter of fact I will probably never do them myself. Intake wise sure you can get away with a panel filter, riding the bay of all the extra stuff and having some cool intake noises is at least worth the extra money spent, although you are right its not needed. An exhaust is needed the stock system is a choking point

I have to disagree on the bigger turbo as a feasible route...whats that 2 grand ish+ ? IMO that's really unneeded unless max power is your goal. I come from the camp of I want a fun-er than normal daily with little or no problems/issues to deal with, i want to be able to drive across this country and back with no issues, no looking for special fuels, no wondering of this or that. My fiesta is not my "race car" and mods like a bigger turbo, meth injection, cams etc etc etc are a rabbit hole you can and probably will get trapped in. In the end you have a finicky and uncomfortable car. Intake exhaust are easy mods that yield power with almost zero down sides on the reliability front.
I wasn't saying he should go with a big turbo. I was just using the power as a reference point on the capabilities of some of the stock plumbing. But since it's mentioned, I'll say that we'll have to agree to disagree. I won't go as far as meth and cams, but Im hoping to see 370-380 on aux fuel. Currently sitting at 300 and I don't feel as if I've sacrificed anything, unless you count extended tire life and better mpgs as a sacrifice. No issues, and it's not finicky. No worries if done right. Like I said, agree to disagree, as I understand where you're coming from.

OP
T
Thread Starter #9
Eventually I'll probably do a bigger turbo, but right now this is kind of my stage 2 route, I'm not really all that concerned with track day yet.

Siestarider

IMHO, once you have IC, stiff engine mount and tune, LSD is the best mod for the money. But only if you are pressing traction limits. Otherwise LSD is a waste of money.

Alternatively, light 16" wheels and the best 45 aspect tires you can find. Once you have comfort with handling and grip, and then start pressing traction limits, LSD.

C. love

I don't really care about price, just the parts. I'll toss another 100k into the car if it make me happy. Money doesn't matter here.

So far the big thing is some people are saying to not replace any piping at all, while others are saying do. Why not though? Or does it honestly not make a difference? Materials do matter as well, plastics obviously retain more heat, thereby increasing air temperature. Also what size are the current pipes, or is opening the air flow actually going to harm power flow?

Hmm sounds foolish to waste money to me, if you have money to spend with little thought given why not wait and get a Focus RS? AWD, slightly better looks, more out of the box power, probably higher potential. Or heck for that matter a Z06 vette or GT500 after all money seems to grow on trees down in TN.

I wasn't saying he should go with a big turbo. I was just using the power as a reference point on the capabilities of some of the stock plumbing. But since it's mentioned, I'll say that we'll have to agree to disagree. I won't go as far as meth and cams, but Im hoping to see 370-380 on aux fuel. Currently sitting at 300 and I don't feel as if I've sacrificed anything, unless you count extended tire life and better mpgs as a sacrifice. No issues, and it's not finicky. No worries if done right. Like I said, agree to disagree, as I understand where you're coming from.

We could do that. I only speak from my experience. I have and have had many a "rabbit hole" of a car. I keep relaxed and penny pinch of sorts with my ST, its a daily with perks to me and nothing more

OP
T
Thread Starter #14
Hmm sounds foolish to waste money to me, if you have money to spend with little thought given why not wait and get a Focus RS? AWD, slightly better looks, more out of the box power, probably higher potential. Or heck for that matter a Z06 vette or GT500 after all money seems to grow on trees down in TN.
My point is I'll worry about how much of my money I spend on something I own that I'm doing for my purpose.

My concern is the parts, I want to get the right stuff if that makes sense. If catback is a waste, I'd rather know why it's a waste of power or whatever than other people's subjective opinion on it being a waste of money. The only things that are a waste of money to me is when I buy something expecting a gain that I will not actually get, then that's a waste of money.

So in the example of the exhaust, which someone mentioned, I'd like to know why it's not a gain for the car rather than why their paycheck can't handle buying it (Because I'll be using my wallet not theirs, so all is well :) )

OP
T
Thread Starter #15
btw, I needed to be able to drive to work and the like now, I couldn't wait because my RX-8 was nearly non-drivable, I was getting a car last weekend, and the RS wasn't available to buy, so I got the ST and since I love working on cars, figured I'd do the upgrades myself so I can enjoy the thing I'm spending money on.

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
My point is I'll worry about how much of my money I spend on something I own that I'm doing for my purpose.

My concern is the parts, I want to get the right stuff if that makes sense. If catback is a waste, I'd rather know why it's a waste of power or whatever than other people's subjective opinion on it being a waste of money. The only things that are a waste of money to me is when I buy something expecting a gain that I will not actually get, then that's a waste of money.

So in the example of the exhaust, which someone mentioned, I'd like to know why it's not a gain for the car rather than why their paycheck can't handle buying it (Because I'll be using my wallet not theirs, so all is well :) )
Cat-backs don't typically show a gain, but a downpipe with a higher flowing catalytic converter will. This has been the consensus for some time for many factory turbocharged cars. But then, there's MAP who's downpipe testing showed no gains, and the cat-back did. However, I find that hard to believe. No one has done their own testing yet to disprove them, though.

C. love

Cat-backs don't typically show a gain, but a downpipe with a higher flowing catalytic converter will. This has been the consensus for some time for many factory turbocharged cars. But then, there's MAP who's downpipe testing showed no gains, and the cat-back did. However, I find that hard to believe. No one has done their own testing yet to disprove them, though.
Yup have seen this too. In the end a full system is probably the ticket to success.

C. love

I see what you are getting at but the way it sounded is you could give a shit if you spent literally 2x as much on parts that work EXACTLY the same. If you like working on your car would it not make sense to spend the money as wise as possible so in the end you can have way more parts and in the end fun? Seems like you have a childish attitude towards spending money, but hey whom am i to judge its not my wallet [:p]. Hope in the end what ever mods you do you are 110% happy man.

OP
T
Thread Starter #19
I see what you are getting at but the way it sounded is you could give a shit if you spent literally 2x as much on parts that work EXACTLY the same. If you like working on your car would it not make sense to spend the money as wise as possible so in the end you can have way more parts and in the end fun? Seems like you have a childish attitude towards spending money, but hey whom am i to judge its not my wallet [:p]. Hope in the end what ever mods you do you are 110% happy man.
I don't have a childish attitude about spending money, I just have enough to do with what I please. My car is worth spending they money on. How about instead of trolling me over what you conceive to be bad spending habits (which obviously can't be that bad if I have the money to spend, trust me my 4 walls are more than taken care off before I start spending money), let's focus on the question I'm asking. New or used (as you just stated) doesn't matter so don't worry if I choose new from a supplier that has to refund or replace defective parts over a supplier that can screw me over and all I can do is file a complaint with paypal or something (experienced that already with my RX-8, I'm 100% against ever going with used parts again). Let me worry about the newness and my vast "immaturity" (laughable if you you actually knew anything about me), let's make this thread about the question rather than ad hominem attacks against someone you know nothing about.

So if you are going to swap out the intercooler, doesn't it make sense to change out the charge pipes as well? Aren't our stock pipes made out of plastic?

C. love

I don't have a childish attitude about spending money, I just have enough to do with what I please. My car is worth spending they money on. How about instead of trolling me over what you conceive to be bad spending habits (which obviously can't be that bad if I have the money to spend, trust me my 4 walls are more than taken care off before I start spending money), let's focus on the question I'm asking. New or used (as you just stated) doesn't matter so don't worry if I choose new from a supplier that has to refund or replace defective parts over a supplier that can screw me over and all I can do is file a complaint with paypal or something (experienced that already with my RX-8, I'm 100% against ever going with used parts again). Let me worry about the newness and my vast "immaturity" (laughable if you you actually knew anything about me), let's make this thread about the question rather than ad hominem attacks against someone you know nothing about.

So if you are going to swap out the intercooler, doesn't it make sense to change out the charge pipes as well? Aren't our stock pipes made out of plastic?
Trust me I can troll way harder if you want but alas judging by your posts ...

and I wont get further here.

Also as was already stated the only time replacing the pipes makes sense is if they are a restriction, with a stock turbo they aren't a restriction.