Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Nankang AR-1 - Who’s used them

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
According to the spec charts on Phil's site, they run at least as wide in tread width as the more 'name brand' usual suspects (A052, RE-71R, etc.) in some sizes, and wider than all of those 'go-to' options in other sizes.

The 215/40-17 and 225/45-16 AR-1s are W-I-D-E.
They beat everyone else by 0.5" in the 225/45-16 and by 0.3" in the 215/40-17.

Ive run these tires before in a 205/50/15 on my old integra. The tires run wider than a "true" 205 or any other size tire. I'd say the width is slightly less than an AO52. The tires don't grip at all when cold, which should be expected for a 100tw tire. They warm up pretty quickly but the "peak" performance for a PB is maybe 2-3 laps depending on the track. I wouldn't recommend this tire to someone trying to do a whole 20 min session.

green_henry

1000 Post Club
Ive run these tires before in a 205/50/15 on my old integra. The tires run wider than a "true" 205 or any other size tire. I'd say the width is slightly less than an AO52. The tires don't grip at all when cold, which should be expected for a 100tw tire. They warm up pretty quickly but the "peak" performance for a PB is maybe 2-3 laps depending on the track. I wouldn't recommend this tire to someone trying to do a whole 20 min session.
Interesting. Any experience with the NS-2Rs?

Interesting. Any experience with the NS-2Rs?
Yes, but they were take offs from a friend. So full disclosure these tires were already used on 3 track events, despite already have 3 full track days, the tires still gave me 3 more track days and a few canyon drives. The grip in the rain was pretty good as well as the wear. I think if you want a more track oriented nankang 200tw go with the CRS tire. The on track performance is better, if you want a step down to a 200tw but with more street features get the ns2r.
PS( I've driven on a ton of tires in my integra days; ns2r,cr1,v7340, a052,a1,ar1,nt01,nt05,nt555, rsrr,rsr,rspro, rs4,and prolly more im forgetting. Each tire typically has it's pros and cons, It's just a matter of what you prioritize )

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^But, is Nankang EVER going to offer the (A052 'copy') CRS in ANY (larger than 15" diameter) sizes which we could possibly use??

IF I were going to use their NS-R2s, it would be on the street, only for the warmer months, and I like them because they also run wider than most other tires in the same size, also with possibly better water ejection due to the tread pattern.

I just wish that they offered it in a 215/40-17, in case I want to go back to that size. [:(]

^^^But, is Nankang EVER going to offer the (A052 'copy') CRS in ANY (larger than 15" diameter) sizes which we could possibly use??

IF I were going to use their NS-R2s, it would be on the street, only for the warmer months, and I like them because they also run wider than most other tires in the same size, also with possibly better water ejection due to the tread pattern.

I just wish that they offered it in a 215/40-17, in case I want to go back to that size. [:(]
They make the Nankang Cr1 in a lot of sizes, I've heard its similar to the CRS, but I have never personally tried it to compare.

Jabbit

2000 Post Club
What would you suggest in a 225/45-16? I drive my car to/from the track (maybe 4 hours round trip) and run 20 min sessions. I'm looking for consistency - not a tire that does 2 fast laps then overheats. I got about 8 track days out of a set of 205/45-16 re71r and I'd like to go wider this season.

green_henry

1000 Post Club
What would you suggest in a 225/45-16? I drive my car to/from the track (maybe 4 hours round trip) and run 20 min sessions. I'm looking for consistency - not a tire that does 2 fast laps then overheats. I got about 8 track days out of a set of 205/45-16 re71r and I'd like to go wider this season.
225? Wow, I even get some rubbing on the front shocks with 205s. Are you using spacers?

Any of the federal options are really cheap and good on wear, BUT they will be noisy and slower. With that big of a roundtrip I would personally spend a couple more bucks and go with the nankang NS2R or the hankook RS4, both tires are really consistent and the lifetime of the tire was pretty good.

Jabbit

2000 Post Club
Any of the federal options are really cheap and good on wear, BUT they will be noisy and slower. With that big of a roundtrip I would personally spend a couple more bucks and go with the nankang NS2R or the hankook RS4, both tires are really consistent and the lifetime of the tire was pretty good.
None of those come in 225/45-16

None of those come in 225/45-16
my bad, I honestly completely glanced over the fact that you asked me for specific tire size. That was my problem with 16s on my integra. I loved the look of the size but the tire options and availability are trash.