Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Need a Tune?

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Btw that cooler used to be tube and fin but now it’s bar and plate. I think that is the perfect cooler for a stock turbo
Yes it is now bar and plate and Mountune sells it with the MRX turbo in their full MRX kit.
I have one as well as it came in my FB3 package and I got it for a great price because of that a lot cheaper than what it sells for normally.
If you are in California that intercooler does have a CARB EO number meaning that no one will look sideways at it. You can even get Mountune to print out the EO sheet . I had them do it and I carry it around in my glove box just in case. Also all there hoses and charge pipe are EO’ed as well. Its kinda nice.
Though truthfully cops know our cars have front mounts stock so short of being someplace like Irvine any aftermarket intercooler will fly.
I would say Whoosh is the best bang for the buck with the V3 it can be run on a stock Turbo and can handle a big Turbo as well and its less than $400 new.
If paranoid get the Mountune, if you get it in their FB2 or FB3 package it will be much cheaper especially if you wait for it to go on sale and then add their discount code.

You live in the Twilight Zone. To hear you guys talk about the cops and refing, it sounds other worldly. Vote out the insane confiscatory commies and get back in the real world. I hope people wake up instead of laying down and accepting this top down control from the worst people alive.

KnockOff

1000 Post Club
That's why this state is called commiefornia bro.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Not to knock Mountune, but if it were me, I'd go with a Whoosh or something price point similar. I started with a Whoosh V1 cooler. It was fine but with the stock turbo and was fine with the hybrid, but I went big turbo, I'm now running a Bravo Alpha unit.
Go with a Whoosh V3 intercooler and Mishimoto cold and hot charge pipe kit. That's a $200.00 savings before any discounts over the Mountune hardware and I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that the cooling properties of the Whoosh are as good or better than the Mountune for a bit less money. Your money, your choice, good luck.
How does the Bravo Alpha fit? Did anything have to be left off or cut to make it fit properly?

danbfree

3000 Post Club
They can only tell by number of ignition cycles that have been performed if you un-install an AP, that it has been tuned. I have heard of some guys cycling the ignition 200 times after uninstalling just to make sure they got warranty covered. You can also claim that you had AutoZone do a complete reset to see if that would help your problem.... That said, these engines are near bullet-proof and have commonly held double the stock power levels (those who have gone big turbo with aux fuel) with no issues. But with intake and exhaust adding such little power, even when tuned, your smart money is on getting an AP first and even just running their free Stage 2 tune as the best way to get a little more power. I just suggest an RMM to help put that power down. And yes, stick with CARB exempted parts for smog and you'll be good!

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
short of being someplace like Irvine any aftermarket intercooler will fly.
:( stupid irvine. I blame UCI - the University of Customized Integras.

Around me there are straight piped lambos, AMG's with muffler deletes, BMW's with muffler deletes, even my other cars which are much louder.... but I've only been pulled over in my FiST :facepalm:

I can afford the ref fees, but god is it inconvenient to get pulled over and spend 30 minutes explaining the missing symposer. Didn't notice the missing front plate or expired registration, but WHAT DID THAT HOSE GO TO?

I'll acknowledge that were I of a less pale complexion I would likely have a harder time with police - though being polite and respectful goes a long way. At this point I have lodged an official complaint with the city of Irvine - while I have been followed a few times I have not been pulled over again. Since I had been pulled over multiple times with no citations they "had no record", so I offered the video I recorded of each one to supplement their lack of data. Afterwards, I haven't been stopped at all, even when.. I probably should have ;)

For what its worth, Irvine is a privately owned city. Everything is "different" there. Drive an older car with not-great paint? You'll be getting pulled over. Driving an inexpensive car? Your chance of getting pulled over goes way up. Any visible mods? Chance of getting pulled over goes way up (unless it's a white bmw or white lexus, for some reason).

Last edited:

danbfree

3000 Post Club
:( stupid irvine. I blame UCI - the University of Customized Integras.

Around me there are straight piped lambos, AMG's with muffler deletes, BMW's with muffler deletes, even my other cars which are much louder.... but I've only been pulled over in my FiST :facepalm:

I can afford the ref fees, but god is it inconvenient to get pulled over and spend 30 minutes explaining the missing symposer. Didn't notice the missing front plate or expired registration, but WHAT DID THAT HOSE GO TO?
So you Cali guys have a decent selection in CARB exempt for intake and intercooler at least? Up here they sell our cars new as CA emissions, like 11 states do, but ultimately they don't even do any visual for smog check here as long as you don't roll in super loud and stinky, just OBD check...

Spork1569

So you Cali guys have a decent selection in CARB exempt for intake and intercooler at least? Up here they sell our cars new as CA emissions, like 11 states do, but ultimately they don't even do any visual for smog check here as long as you don't roll in super loud and stinky, just OBD check...
Not really, it's so expensive for most companies to get an EO # that hardly any go through the hassle of actually doing it. AFAIK Mountune seems to be the only company with carb exempt parts besides a few other parts here and there(such as intakes)

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
I think Cobb is the only CARB exempt intake (maybe a flowmaster one too, but only for earlier years), and only for 2016 and earlier (cobb). Once Ford announced they were killing the FiST I don't think *anyone* bothered CARB certifying anything.
I haven't ever been bothered by a smog shop for an intercooler before, worst case scenario my smog guy tells me my smog check will cost 200 cash instead of 80 on a credit card ;) you have to look pretty hard to notice that I even have an aftermarket intercooler (Whoosh v2 - fits great, ron!). I'd expect more questions about my aftermarket hot-side pipe.

I have been looking at how possible it would be to reinstall the entire stock intake system around the 2j intake to see if it'd pass visual lol - I could get a spare intake tube and just cut it to fit around the 2j along the back of the engine, and keep the rest of the stock system in-place. That being said, these days I tend to prefer my cars either pre-smog or I don't keep them long enough to need to get smogged. The thing is, getting caught with an *obvious* mod can often result in leniency if you "didn't know any better". Taking steps to *hide* a mod generally has the opposite effect. I just play dumb, and speak up if I really need to. Works well :p

IIRC, to get a part CARB EO'd, it's $10,000 to submit a part for an EO number, and you have to pay for the testing to prove it does not negatively affect emissions in any way. This has to be done for *every year you want to get an EO for* Intakes for a 2014, 2015, 2016? That's 3 separate certifications, 3 separate tests, 3 separate fees. Only big companies can do it, and generally only on high-volume vehicles. Injen makes CARB EO intakes on high-volume cars like honda civics, but not on low-volume cars like the FiST. I think another factor is that the 2016-later have that extra sensor on the PCV that triggers the p04db code when an intake is installed.

When my buddy owned a shop with a sniffer I was generally running cleaner post-mods/tune than I was pre-mods/tune. I don't go catless, I don't vent to atmosphere, and I always make sure vacuum lines and PCV are routed properly. Thats why code p04db with the 2j bothers me so much. Am I polluting more than stock? If so, I want to fix it.

Last edited:

danbfree

3000 Post Club
I think Cobb is the only CARB exempt intake (maybe a flowmaster one too, but only for earlier years), and only for 2016 and earlier (cobb). Once Ford announced they were killing the FiST I don't think *anyone* bothered CARB certifying anything.
I haven't ever been bothered by a smog shop for an intercooler before, worst case scenario my smog guy tells me my smog check will cost 200 cash instead of 80 on a credit card ;) you have to look pretty hard to notice that I even have an aftermarket intercooler (Whoosh v2 - fits great, ron!). I'd expect more questions about my aftermarket hot-side pipe.

I have been looking at how possible it would be to reinstall the entire stock intake system around the 2j intake to see if it'd pass visual lol - I could get a spare intake tube and just cut it to fit around the 2j along the back of the engine, and keep the rest of the stock system in-place. That being said, these days I tend to prefer my cars either pre-smog or I don't keep them long enough to need to get smogged. The thing is, getting caught with an *obvious* mod can often result in leniency if you "didn't know any better". Taking steps to *hide* a mod generally has the opposite effect. I just play dumb, and speak up if I really need to. Works well :p

IIRC, to get a part CARB EO'd, it's $10,000 to submit a part for an EO number, and you have to pay for the testing to prove it does not negatively affect emissions in any way. This has to be done for *every year you want to get an EO for* Intakes for a 2014, 2015, 2016? That's 3 separate certifications, 3 separate tests, 3 separate fees. Only big companies can do it, and generally only on high-volume vehicles. Injen makes CARB EO intakes on high-volume cars like honda civics, but not on low-volume cars like the FiST. I think another factor is that the 2016-later have that extra sensor on the PCV that triggers the p04db code when an intake is installed.

When my buddy owned a shop with a sniffer I was generally running cleaner post-mods/tune than I was pre-mods/tune. I don't go catless, I don't vent to atmosphere, and I always make sure vacuum lines and PCV are routed properly. Thats why code p04db with the 2j bothers me so much. Am I polluting more than stock? If so, I want to fix it.
Great info man, thanks for takinh the time to explain... sounds a lot like Mountune not bothering to get the MP215 package warranty friendly past '15 or '16, depending on who you believe, Ford says it's only through '15 while Mountune still advertises it as warranty friendly though '16... I even emailed Mountune to clarify and they never wrote back, LOL... didn't stop me from ordering their '16+ induction hose, but it's back ordered of course, they don't tell you that on their web site when they take your money first, ugh...

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Great info man, thanks for takinh the time to explain... sounds a lot like Mountune not bothering to get the MP215 package warranty friendly past '15 or '16, depending on who you believe, Ford says it's only through '15 while Mountune still advertises it as warranty friendly though '16... I even emailed Mountune to clarify and they never wrote back, LOL... didn't stop me from ordering their '16+ induction hose, but it's back ordered of course, they don't tell you that on their web site when they take your money first, ugh...
I have a sheet I can take a pic and upload of all Mountune parts currently EO#d. What I saw on Fords site about the MP215 was up to 2016 that is the exactly same word out of Mountune and yes it is because Ford announced in 17 they would be ending the Fiesta. You have to remember Mountune is a UK company. They saw the MK8 come out in early 17 over there. They did not know what Ford was going to do stateside except they might have had inside info that the FiST was killed for the U.S. So why bother.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
I have a sheet I can take a pic and upload of all Mountune parts currently EO#d. What I saw on Fords site about the MP215 was up to 2016 that is the exactly same word out of Mountune and yes it is because Ford announced in 17 they would be ending the Fiesta. You have to remember Mountune is a UK company. They saw the MK8 come out in early 17 over there. They did not know what Ford was going to do stateside except they might have had inside info that the FiST was killed for the U.S. So why bother.
Actually someone linked me to an updated doc from Ford that says 2015 is the last year, very weird there is disinformation out there! I'll try to find it again... But the rest makes sense, we here in the states use the Mountune USA website but yep, they are UK based overall...

OP
Hypergram

Hypergram

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #36
Yes it is now bar and plate and Mountune sells it with the MRX turbo in their full MRX kit.
I have one as well as it came in my FB3 package and I got it for a great price because of that a lot cheaper than what it sells for normally.
If you are in California that intercooler does have a CARB EO number meaning that no one will look sideways at it. You can even get Mountune to print out the EO sheet . I had them do it and I carry it around in my glove box just in case. Also all there hoses and charge pipe are EO’ed as well. Its kinda nice.
Though truthfully cops know our cars have front mounts stock so short of being someplace like Irvine any aftermarket intercooler will fly.
I would say Whoosh is the best bang for the buck with the V3 it can be run on a stock Turbo and can handle a big Turbo as well and its less than $400 new.
If paranoid get the Mountune, if you get it in their FB2 or FB3 package it will be much cheaper especially if you wait for it to go on sale and then add their discount code.
Thanks for the heads up. I'm not too mechanically inclined but I try my best. I really like the look of this one, https://whoosh-motorsports.myshopif...-2014-fiesta-st-pending?variant=1270852059150 . Compared to the Whoosh V3, what are the Pros and Cons? It's obviously bigger, but doesn't it get in front of the radiator? I don't really know. Thanks.