Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

need suspension advice!!

caliboy15

I can't deal with the stock suspension anymore! too harsh! too stiff!

I want something that I can use for daily and won't break my spine

something that I can still enjoy on the canyon

I'm also thinking 16" wheel if that'll help improve the ride quality

thanks in advance!

Koni struts/shocks have less compression damping and will improve the ride and handling on rough pavement.

Pete

if you are looking for a less harsh ride invest in the Koni Str.t Lots of reviews of them out there. Also going to a 16" rim or even 15" will help soften the ride up.

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
16s will help a lot. I went from 17s to 15s and loved it. I'll be going 16s next year though for performance reasons. Need wider tires and wheels.

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
I went down to 16's and it improved my quality of life dramatically in DC.
What size tire did you end up going with? I was looking at either 205/45 or 205/50. Leaning more toward 45. I want the 225/45s because I think they look bad ass but I really want the BFGoodrich sport comps 2 and they don't make them in that size.

OP
C

caliboy15

Thread Starter #7
thanks for the input guys. I'll invest on Koni combo and will eventually go 16"

JasonHaven

What size tire did you end up going with? I was looking at either 205/45 or 205/50. Leaning more toward 45. I want the 225/45s because I think they look bad ass but I really want the BFGoodrich sport comps 2 and they don't make them in that size.
205/45 BFG Comp 2 A/S :)

BlueBomber

1000 Post Club
I can't deal with the stock suspension anymore! too harsh! too stiff!

I want something that I can use for daily and won't break my spine

something that I can still enjoy on the canyon

I'm also thinking 16" wheel if that'll help improve the ride quality

thanks in advance!
Two things corrected the problem for me.
One. COILOVERS. the car rides so much better than stock ever since I installed the ST Suspensions XTA Adjustable coilovers, though I think a set of the Vogtland Coilovers would be better for you, and cheaper. both will handle better than stock.
sidenote: we're going to have some balls-to-the-wall blowout pricing on the Vogtland coilovers for Black Friday at ModBargains as well, just as a tip (again I'm not sales and cannot take your order but just FYI they're going to be CHEAP here so it's a once a year chance to get a fat deal that we can't offer the rest of the year - we get to break MAP and everything for black friday)
I can think of like 3 other local FiSTs running the Vogtland coilovers (John L, Dave R, and I forget the other guy's name - we're all in the SoCal Fiesta ST FB group)

Two. TIRES. the stock tires are hard as rocks. You can have 17s and still have a nice ride. I am stepping down to 16s myself this week however that's only because they don't make the wheel i want in 17.

Come on by ModBargains and we'll go for a cruise in my car and you can let me know what you think of the ride.

OP
C

caliboy15

Thread Starter #12
Two things corrected the problem for me.
One. COILOVERS. the car rides so much better than stock ever since I installed the ST Suspensions XTA Adjustable coilovers, though I think a set of the Vogtland Coilovers would be better for you, and cheaper. both will handle better than stock.
sidenote: we're going to have some balls-to-the-wall blowout pricing on the Vogtland coilovers for Black Friday at ModBargains as well, just as a tip (again I'm not sales and cannot take your order but just FYI they're going to be CHEAP here so it's a once a year chance to get a fat deal that we can't offer the rest of the year - we get to break MAP and everything for black friday)
I can think of like 3 other local FiSTs running the Vogtland coilovers (John L, Dave R, and I forget the other guy's name - we're all in the SoCal Fiesta ST FB group)

Two. TIRES. the stock tires are hard as rocks. You can have 17s and still have a nice ride. I am stepping down to 16s myself this week however that's only because they don't make the wheel i want in 17.

Come on by ModBargains and we'll go for a cruise in my car and you can let me know what you think of the ride.
that's my option too, buy proper coilovers. thanks for the input nick! as far as tire goes what do you recommend if I stick with my 17" wheels?

Waterfan

Stock springs are linear, yes? Some lowering springs are progressive and might help soften some of the straightline bounciness.

Also thumbs up on the Konis.

Personally, I would do the 16" conversion first. It might solve ALL of your issues and leave the otherwise awesome stock chassis intact.

Waterfan

Speaking of hard stock tires, for immediate relief, try running 5-7 psi less. Lower pressures, especially in the rear, can provide a meaningful improvement.

BlueBomber

1000 Post Club
No.
Progressive is stock as are virtually all aftermarket springs for the car.
Only racecars use linear, its not ideal for street use to go linear.

JBO

on fiestast.org a lot of positive comments about koni str.t shocks and eibach spring combo. Retains great handling and MUCH better ride quality.

No.
Progressive is stock as are virtually all aftermarket springs for the car.
Only racecars use linear, its not ideal for street use to go linear.
Yes, the rear Mountune springs are indeed progressive, HOWEVER the upper coils are flattened simply by the weight of the car. The front springs are linear.

Plainrt

1000 Post Club
Speaking of hard stock tires, for immediate relief, try running 5-7 psi less. Lower pressures, especially in the rear, can provide a meaningful improvement.

Are you serious????? Made me lol. Many things wrong with above statement.......

koozy

3000 Post Club
stock springs are linear. here they are next to ST lowering springs, which are also linear.

front next to the OEM spring.

rear next to the OEM spring.

stock springs are linear. here they are next to ST lowering springs, which are also linear.

front next to the OEM spring.

rear next to the OEM spring.
Where did you get this information? Because those springs are both progressive rate.