Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

New Fiesta ST owner in Houston!

After years of compromising and being unable to purchase the vehicle I wanted I finally was able to buy my hot hatch!
I watched numerous videos on performance and experience of a number of spirt compacts and every reviewer who drove the Fiesta loved the performance. I knew from watching Hammond from Top Gear say while smiling, “you can’t put a price on that” that this was the car I wanted.
Its been a journey- first one I showed interest in I found through some detective work to be a one highly modified one, another died right in front of Carmax (thank God really). Every other car was too far away or had something questionable about it. Finally I found a 2017 with just 45k miles on it.
It is, in my opinion, the best looking hatch of the last 2 decades. The lines, the seating position, everything.
The only thing is I haven’t driven a manual in 15 years so I am relearning it! But what a car to do it in.
Looking forward to being a part of the community here!

Attachments

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
Welcome!
I'm so glad that you finally got the car you were looking for. It's a peach.
I would suggest that you drive it as-is for a while, read this forum and all the ideas for mods, and think about what you want to do with it.
I also strongly suggest that you drain the transmission and give it 2 liters of this: https://www.ravenolamerica.com/passenger-car-products/75w-80-gear-oil-ravenol-mtf-2/
Smooth as a baby's butt.

OP
Roboticrocket
Thread Starter #5
Welcome!
I'm so glad that you finally got the car you were looking for. It's a peach.
I would suggest that you drive it as-is for a while, read this forum and all the ideas for mods, and think about what you want to do with it.
I also strongly suggest that you drain the transmission and give it 2 liters of this: https://www.ravenolamerica.com/passenger-car-products/75w-80-gear-oil-ravenol-mtf-2/
Smooth as a baby's butt.
Thanks! When I get a free weekend I’ll get that done as my first treatment! Would you recommend buying it and taking it to a pro place where they could flush the old transmission fluid?

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
It's a manual. Just drain and fill. Use 2 full liters.
Whenever I did mine, especially when I could leave it up on jack stands without constantly looking over my shoulder, I used to let it drain out sometimes for hours (like I did for the engine oil), just to get as many of the 'fines' out as possible.

But this is completely unnecessary, and totally OCD overkill on my part.

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
Whenever I did mine, especially when I could leave it up on jack stands without constantly looking over my shoulder, I used to let it drain out sometimes for hours (like I did for the engine oil), just to get as many of the 'fines' out as possible.

But this is completely unnecessary, and totally OCD overkill on my part.
Yeah, when I have the time, I do the same. Not necessary, but why not? Get as much out as you can.

OP
Roboticrocket
Thread Starter #10
Yeah, when I have the time, I do the same. Not necessary, but why not? Get as much out as you can.
Definitely! I have a question for the thread- when depressing the clutch shouldn’t the RPMs lower to idle speed? I notice in third and second the RPMs lower immediately to 2-3k but then lowers slowly to idle.

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
Definitely! I have a question for the thread- when depressing the clutch shouldn’t the RPMs lower to idle speed? I notice in third and second the RPMs lower immediately to 2-3k but then lowers slowly to idle.
That's "rev hang." It's programmed in for pollution control.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
The manual warns against revving the engine then immediately turning the ignition off because it could damage your turbo. It takes time to spin-down.

Oil is used to cool your turbo and when you shut off the engine, you shut down the oil pump; shutdown the waterpump, shutdown the heat-exchanger for the turbo.

Rev-hang in my experiences occurs following a pull that is cut-short with a throttle closure and clutch-in. RPMs begin dropping for a brief moment then the ECU kicks-in and throttles up for some seconds before returning to normal.

Rev-hang is useful for cooling your turbo.

Last edited:

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
There's a weird bar here... like a lip that protrudes. It's probably for aero/mpg, noise reduction, or to reduce wind effect when windows are down.
All of the above. My '17 has it. It think they were added in '16.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Interesting. I think I read someone somewhere at some time complaining about a wind generated sound. Might have that purpose? My '16 manufacture date is October of '15. No deflector there.