Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

New Ford Escape is quick...ST coming?

jeff

2000 Post Club
Just read this article over on C&D....the new 2020 Escape 2.0 turbo (non ST) hits 60 in 5.7 seconds and they discuss the likelihood of a forthcoming ST model which will feature a version of the 2.3 turbo Focus RS engine...Ford did say many ST models were coming so this is very likely...I suspect an ST version of this will be even quicker.

Not that I'd buy an Escape ST, but it is interesting that they're putting such performance in their SUVs, and an ST model would be darn quick if it were even faster than what we're seeing here.

That aside, even the straight line speed does not make it an ST...the specialness of the Focus/Fiesta ST has been lost. But interesting nonetheless.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a29077713/2020-ford-escape-drive/

STTom

Premium Account
We'll probably be seeing an Expedition ST as well.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
One of the problems with Ford is they overprice everything. They are like bed bath and beyond 20% off everything you just have to use the coupon. With Ford you just have to wait until they start marking them down and offering heavy incentives.

I really like the Hyundai Veloster N it's actually the second fastest front-wheel drive car, car and driver has ever tested.
I like the Kia stinger as well. The Ford escape St will probably be priced in the mid $30,000 range if not higher when basically it's just a jacked up Focus.
With all the options I wouldn't be surprised if it hits $38,000.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

One of the problems with Ford is they overprice everything. They are like bed bath and beyond 20% off everything you just have to use the coupon. With Ford you just have to wait until they start marking them down and offering heavy incentives.
The Escape in the article (a 2.0L awd Titanium) starts at $37,800 and is spec'd at over $40k! If there's an ST model, I'd expect it to be in the same range; we're talking at or more than twice as much as we've all paid for our FiSTs. As we say in MN, "Ufda!" It's insane that people would consider paying that much for so little, IMO.

I agree with all the sentiments about the ST label being watered down. There's a few pages in our manuals about the heritage of the SVT, ST, and RS models. With the new direction Ford is taking, that heritage is not as meaningful. #sadface

Most of the "Sport" trim will become ST. It's been done on both Edge and Explorer.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
And if that's the case that's just Insanity because let's remember the escape is a focus at the end of the day. Just look at a brand new escape and look at a brand new Focus overseas. They damn near share the same front end.

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
Remember when Chevy slapped SS on everything?

Best way to deal with these counterfeit ST's is to lure them into following you on a road like Tail of the Dragon. Once enough of these top heavy Barges go over the edge the Feds will start limiting the top speed of all Trucks (and an SUV IS a Truck) to something like 45 mph so they cant roll over.

PunkST

2000 Post Club
My moms escape sport package is very fast for its dimensions. But i hate the seats with a passion. And the ride height. I can live with the flappy box. Wish it had a proper rear diff.

If they make a Sport or ST model I would definitely consider it. Add a few bolt-ons and a tune for 300+ HP and, with AWD, it will probably run low 13s. It doesn't appear as top heavy as the previous model so, while it will never be a canyon carver, I bet it will handle decently with some springs/braces.

Because I have been out of the performance car scene for 20 years (up until 2018 when we got our FoST) I still view everything through a mid/late 90's sports car lens. This compact SUV will probably out accelerate a late 90's Mustang (new model when I graduated high school) and also probably isn't too far behind in handling either. That is impressive to me lol.

Oh, and most SUV's today ARE NOT trucks. Trucks have frames; most SUVs are uni-bodies.
https://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2017/05/the-only-15-real-suvs-left-on-the-market.html

EDIT: Just checked the spec sheet; the AWD 2.0 SEL weighs in at 3551 lbs. While that is "heavy" compared to a FiST, it's really not that bad. It's only 300 lbs more than a FoST and only 100 lbs more than a FoRS.

EDIT 2: This got me curious so I looked it up; 2020 Escape runs a 14.3, a 1996 Mustang runs a 15.1 :p

Last edited:

PunkST

2000 Post Club
Im merely stating that the suv i helped her pick out is much quicker than my hot hatch.

Wow you guys are so cool.......

Wow. YOU are SOOOO cool too!!!!

Can I play your game as well? Lets see;

Life's too short to drive a car that rides like crap.

Life's too short to drive a car with a crappy radio.

Life's to short to drive a car without climate control.

Life's to short to drive a car that doesn't run at least 13s.

Life's too short to drive a car with loud wind/road noise.

Life's too short to drive a car without a panoramic vista roof.

Life's too short to drive a car without......an advanced suite of standard driver-assist technologies that includes, Pre-Collision Assist with Automatic Emergency Braking, Auto High-Beam Headlamps, and Lane-Keeping System.

You see where I am going with this right? You are a "purist" who hates SUVs, good for you! I'm certain if Ford builds an Escape ST it WILL NOT be marketed to people with your mind set (obviously). It will probably be marketed to someone a lot like me; a middle aged, reasonably successful family guy who wants a practical, comfortable, and safe small SUV which can also blow the doors off every other SUV in it's segment (as well as lots of other vehicles). Guess what, that isn't a bad thing at all.

Brianmc27

Wow. YOU are SOOOO cool too!!!!

Can I play your game as well? Lets see;

Life's too short to drive a car that rides like crap.

Life's too short to drive a car with a crappy radio.

Life's to short to drive a car without climate control.

Life's to short to drive a car that doesn't run at least 13s.

Life's too short to drive a car with loud wind/road noise.

Life's too short to drive a car without a panoramic vista roof.

Life's too short to drive a car without......an advanced suite of standard driver-assist technologies that includes, Pre-Collision Assist with Automatic Emergency Braking, Auto High-Beam Headlamps, and Lane-Keeping System.

You see where I am going with this right? You are a "purist" who hates SUVs, good for you! I'm certain if Ford builds an Escape ST it WILL NOT be marketed to people with your mind set (obviously). It will probably be marketed to someone a lot like me; a middle aged, reasonably successful family guy who wants a practical, comfortable, and safe small SUV which can also blow the doors off every other SUV in it's segment (as well as lots of other vehicles). Guess what, that isn't a bad thing at all.
Have you ever been in an Escape? They are not built for family duties. My Mk7 GTI was more spacious than that fat pig.

Have you ever been in an Escape? They are not built for family duties. My Mk7 GTI was more spacious than that fat pig.

Not trying to be rude but you should read the OP AND the linked C&D review. This is all about the 2020 Escape as well as a hypothetical Escape ST.

The 2020 Escape is a new car from the ground up so any comparisons to the previous model are......limited at best.

Brianmc27

Not trying to be rude but you should read the OP AND the linked C&D review. This is all about the 2020 Escape as well as a hypothetical Escape ST.

The 2020 Escape is a new car from the ground up so any comparisons to the previous model are......limited at best.
You’re not being rude, but the fact is that all small CUVs are really lacking on interior space. You’re better off getting a minivan than an escape.

Either way, it sucks that this is going to be Ford’s “sporty” offering for the foreseeable future.

Last edited:

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
Ecosport ST.
Bronco ST
Econoline ST
Mustang GT 350R....ST

It's all just crap. They have taken all meaning away from "ST"
What meaning are you referring to?
You do know ST means Special Technologies right? Pretty much an updated shortened SVT, Special Vehicle Team. That's all, not Street/Track, Super Tune, Sports Tuned or anything else I have read even from dealers....... Means it is a model that adds special engineering of engine and handling. Can be used with any model Ford choses to upgrade to a higher performance level per Ford on the initial release of the first two ST's.
My 1979 Capri was an RS model which was just a stripe option on the Mercury version of the Mustang. Never did hear what it was supposed to mean here, in Europe a Capri RS was "Rally Sport" but a totally different car. Chevy still uses RS also Rally Sport. Keep in mind Porsche made their 911 ST in '70-71 and has on and off made RS version (Race Sport in English) for years. No car company owns letter designations to my knowledge but I believe only Dodge uses the R/T moniker. Hell even Pontiac called a mid size car a "GTO" lifted from Ferrari.