Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

New Mountune Fiesta ST Big Brake Kit Coming September

So I was browsing Mountune UK's website looking at their crossover pipe when I stumbled across these: https://www.mountunestore.com/colle...esta-b299st-big-brake-upgrade-kit-6-pot-302mm

Even with shipping to the US, at $1,262.06 they look like they will be a great step up from the Willwoods. I know Mountune had a older brake kit that was made by Brembo and another by alcon, does anybody know who made these?

They are a 6 piston setup with 302mm rotors and they say you wont need any spacers if u use the OE wheels.

I was looking at getting an AP racing kit but this kit looks amazing and the price seems pretty reasonable.

What do you guys think?

OP
zeddzik
Thread Starter #3
Yes, that is not bad at all, price wise. [thumb]

I wonder if they could ever possibly fit under my 15x7/48 ET Method wheels. [dunno]
Considering the rotors are about 11 inches and the calipers may make it about 1-2 inches wider they might just fit!

I bet those are Alcons. Mountune used to have an Alcon kit that was branded as Mountune.

302mm brakes are gonna be really tight under 15's. I don't know about the barrels of the Method wheels, but that'll be too big for 15" Team Dynamics wheels. Unless this kit has much lower profile calipers than the 300mm Tarox kit.

Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk

OP
zeddzik
Thread Starter #5
I bet those are Alcons. Mountune used to have an Alcon kit that was branded as Mountune.

302mm brakes are gonna be really tight under 15's. I don't know about the barrels of the Method wheels, but that'll be too big for 15" Team Dynamics wheels. Unless this kit has much lower profile calipers than the 300mm Tarox kit.

It looks like they are pretty low profile, and I know the tarox calipers are pretty big but it definitely will be tight.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club

I guess I would have to compare the barrels/spacing of the Scoobie model Method MR501 VT wheels which are the same exact model as mine, since for rally use they fit some large brakes on those cars, even for gravel. [wink]

That these are sub-contracted out to Alcon would make sense, since that company made up the brakes for the M-Sport R2 Fiestas as well.

I guess I would have to compare the barrels/spacing of the Scoobie model Method MR501 VT wheels which are the same exact model as mine, since for rally use they fit some large brakes on those cars, even for gravel. [wink]

That these are sub-contracted out to Alcon would make sense, since that company made up the brakes for the M-Sport R2 Fiestas as well.
I've got the measurements for the 15x8 +35 Team Dynamics wheels. There's a rib where the spokes meet the barrel that has a 6.625" radius that's the minimum radius for the wheel. But, from what I can tell my Team Dynamics have the tightest clearance of pretty much any 15" alloy wheel you can get in 4x108. Which made finding upgraded brakes for my wheels really fun.

^^^IF AP Racing offered a 285mm-290mm rotor option, that would work. [wink]
I found a listing for a 285mm friction ring (didn't figure out the rotor hat) on the AP website back before I committed to the V-MAXX kit. I can probably go find that part number if you're interested.

I'm curious if these will pair nicely with the wildwood rear brakes.

I dont NEED upgraded brakes, but I love a nice brake setup. It just looks amazing.

Does the wildwood rear caliper have dust boots? I dont care for the wildwood fronts because the brake pistons lacks dust covers.. unless they include them now.

OP
zeddzik
Thread Starter #15
I'm curious if these will pair nicely with the wildwood rear brakes.

I dont NEED upgraded brakes, but I love a nice brake setup. It just looks amazing.

Does the wildwood rear caliper have dust boots? I dont care for the wildwood fronts because the brake pistons lacks dust covers.. unless they include them now.
I doubt they have dust covers but u should definitely look into just doing a Focus SVT brake swap for the rears, I think that should really be all u need

I doubt they have dust covers but u should definitely look into just doing a Focus SVT brake swap for the rears, I think that should really be all u need
Well the unsprung weight savings of the wilwood kit is attractive... but if no dust cover I'd assume it would live a short life

Fusion Works

Not sure why everyone thinks this kit is that much better than the Wilwood basic kit. The Wilwood kit has a bigger rotor, but thinner. The caliper isn't substantially different. There isn't much of a reason to run 6 piston on such a small rotor.

The floating rotor is a nice touch.

The only benefit would be it fitting under a tiny 15in wheel. This is essentially the same size as the Focus SVT front rotor.

The main problem with the stock sized and slightly larger systems is the lack of mass. On the street the stock brakes are fine. With the dusty pads, they have great feel and work fine. Its only on track that they fall down. Now the stock brakes look totally silly behind the stock wheels so that is a good reason to put something bigger in place.

I think it is telling that they describe this kit as being for “fast road users.” I suspect they will be a feel and appearance upgrade, but not up to heavy track use.

SST

Not sure why everyone thinks this kit is that much better than the Wilwood basic kit. The Wilwood kit has a bigger rotor, but thinner. The caliper isn't substantially different. There isn't much of a reason to run 6 piston on such a small rotor.

Thinner rotor or thinner Caliper?

Do all these aftermarket BBK use proprietery brake pads? hard to source them?

OP
zeddzik
Thread Starter #20
I think it depends on the caliper but as long as you know what the model is then usually brake pad manufacturers will have a pad specifically for that caliper. I'm sure many manufacturers use the same pad shape for similar calipers

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk