Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Noise/rattle between 3000 - 3500 rpm

Declamondo

Hi all,

I have developed a rattle/noise between 3000-3500rpm - happens with clutch in and out - acceleration and deceleration.
Any suggestions - I have checked tensioners and for any visible contact between heatshields etc - apart from the manifold one as I cant see it easily

https://youtube.com/shorts/FF80_0LIFYo?feature=share

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
You need to put it up in the air and have someone Rev the engine to 3-3500k Rpm. Whether it be on jackstands or a hoist. This is the best way to isolate NVH

OP
D

Declamondo

Thread Starter #3
I did have it up in the air the other week to check the heat shields on the underside and couldn’t see anything touching. Did try shaking the exhaust to see if it made contact.
Unfortunately I was on my own so couldn’t rev it while underneath. Couldn’t really see the one on the Downpipe so might have to take the scuttle panel off to have a look

Wonder if it's worth looking into the sound symposer. I've seen a few comments over the years of something coming lose or outright siezing in that part of the system leading to weird but consistent buzzes and rattles. Just a shot in the dark.

OP
D

Declamondo

Thread Starter #5
It probably is with looking into, I think the noise is louder on the outside which if it was the symposer would be the other way round as it pumps It pumps it into the cabin. I’ll have a look thanks

Did you have any progress on this? Coincidentally I'm having the same thing right now. It's frustrating because mine is intermittent and random but around the same rpm as yours. Naturally, it will never do it when I'm actually trying to make it happen to find the source!

I did find several header nuts that were loose yesterday and thought I hit the jackpot. Turbo response improved and car felt great but sure enough that noise popped up again right before I got home.

:unsure:

OP
D
Thread Starter #7
Issue resolved. Found the bracket for sports cat is broken. Dampen the mount and the noise goes away - unfortunately the other side of the mount is still attached so I can’t just remove it - looks like remove the cat and fix it