Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Diagnosing Rattles/Noises

I'm having a troubleshooting issue on my '16 - I've developed a pretty nasty rattle when going over most any size bump, and need some suggestions on how to find it. Instead of doing the "drive, stop, inspect, drive again" dance, is there a way I can simulate going over rough roads while stopped and outside the vehicle? Some sort of spring-assisted lift or device that can help me pin down what is driving me so crazy on this thing? It's coming from the front, outside the cabin, most likely passenger side. Had a shop tell me it was my strut mount (spoiler; it wasn't) and it sounds too pronounced to be a heat-shield rattle (but that's still on the board). Any ideas or experiences would be very appreciated!

OP
FJ16
Thread Starter #4
any suspension modification?
Yeah, I've got Koni front/rear and Mountune springs, and a Pierce front 2-pt. I've swapped out the struts/springs several times and the noise has persisted (but seems worse now). For some reason it doesn't feel like suspension, even though that's the obvious culprit...

Video of noise? Or sound clip?
Yeah good idea, I'll see if I can snag one tomorrow.

Yeah, I've got Koni front/rear and Mountune springs, and a Pierce front 2-pt. I've swapped out the struts/springs several times and the noise has persisted (but seems worse now). For some reason it doesn't feel like suspension, even though that's the obvious culprit...

Yeah good idea, I'll see if I can snag one tomorrow.
Put it on a drive on rack, raise it up and torque the lower control arm bolts on the 2 point to 46 ft-lbs then an additional 180 degrees. Solved my problem. Impact doesn't get it tight enough. Next noise was my rear motor mount bolt came a little loose after I snapped my CV shaft at the drag strip.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk