Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Rotational rattle noise.

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
I noticed a rattle noise coming to a stop. Noise stops when the car stops rolling.

Last edited:
Any issues as you're shifting through the gears? Any gears hard to slot the shifter into? I'm currently researching a similar issue a local Fist owner near me is also having with the same noise that you describe and goes away when a little pressure on the shifter is applied and shifting from 3rd to 4th also being a pita for them. I'm guessing worn shifter bushings more than anything versus any transmission issues or atleast we hope so. I set him up to take it to a shop I trust to have a look.

OP
FiSTerMr

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #3
Any issues as you're shifting through the gears? Any gears hard to slot the shifter into? I'm currently researching a similar issue a local Fist owner near me is also having with the same noise that you describe and goes away when a little pressure on the shifter is applied and shifting from 3rd to 4th also being a pita for them. I'm guessing worn shifter bushings more than anything versus any transmission issues or atleast we hope so. I set him up to take it to a shop I trust to have a look.
Hi, thanks for the reply.
All gears are smooth as butter.
The gear box linkage is a noisy SOB, has been so since I bought it, which is typical for these transmissions, and I believe normal.

Last edited:
Hi, thanks for the reply.
All gears are smooth as butter.
The gear box linkage is a noisy SOB, has been so since I bought it, but this is a rotational noise, which I don't think would be related to linkage.

My first instinct has been to trade the car before the trans grenades and I'm left with a heavy paperweight. But I friggin love this car.
Is this shop located in Western Mass? I'm moving to the Albany area, only about an hour away. I need to find a good shop that can do specialty trans work.
No the shop is in central mass in Eastbrookfield and also Lamaroux Ford also is in Eastbrookfield with shop techs who actually know these cars inside and out.

OP
FiSTerMr

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #5
No the shop is in central mass in Eastbrookfield and also Lamaroux Ford also is in Eastbrookfield with shop techs who actually know these cars inside and out.
Thanks!

Last edited:
OP
FiSTerMr

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #9
Tbh my car has been making the same noise I never knew what it was couldn’t figure it out but that’s weird if the other guy changed his transmission and it’s making the same noise
yeah, I have no idea with these. Maybe it's the axles, maybe it's normal for some people, but it seems like everybody has some noises with theirs.

Last edited:
OP
FiSTerMr

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #10
Honestly it stayed consistently the same but I’m going on a trip and if it blows up I’ll let you know lol. I didn’t know if it was a tire rod or wheel bearing but I checked it all and nothing so
These gearboxes are super noisy. I always figured the clacking was normal for these. Even when gently riding the clutch pedal to blend the gears smoothly, they still click and clack.

Last edited:
OP
FiSTerMr

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #13
THE NOISE HAS ALWAYS BEEN THERE IN BOTH TRANS. SOMETIMES I NOTICE IT MORE THEN OTHERS AND ITS WORRY SOME

BUT AFTER 168K I CAN TELL YOU TO STOP CARING
Okay cool. I mean, it sucks but at least it's not something that has prevented the car from being driven and used as intended.

Last edited:
OP
FiSTerMr

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #14
Any news about what it was ?
nah, decided I'm gonna leave it be. Don't drive ability issues, and it's probably just me going nuts.

Last edited:

Yelbom15

U.S. Army Veteran
Just bringing this back to the surface. Are there any updates on the chatter? New owner here at 54,000 miles and when coming to a stop with the clutch in, I hear tons of chatter. But shifting is smooth as can be and strong.
I was told it’s normal but I just want to be reassured. Some people even say they had their transmission rebuilt and the noise slowly came back.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
If you hear chatter/rattle (that isn't the direct injection engine) at a stop, but it goes away when you merely depress the clutch pedal, don't worry about it. I've had two motorcycles and two cars develop this over time. The first car I had to replace around 327,000 miles due to rust, the first motorcycle I had to replace approaching 90k due to high speed rear ender, the second motorcycle is starting to get this on an intermittent basis after 6k and the 2016 FiST bought new has been doing this for years now (also started intermittent) and it's around 60 or 70k. None of the vehicles developed any transmission or clutch issues. The FiST however is different in that, due to slave cylinder design/location, you don't want to hold the clutch pedal in, any longer than you have to. The other vehicles I didn't have to worry about that.

Yelbom15

U.S. Army Veteran
@Intuit As I cruise and I see a green light turn to a red light, I press on the clutch, shift into neutral and let it coast to a stop with my foot down on the clutch. That is when I hear the chatter. Once I stop even with the clutch still pressed, the chatter disappears.
Shifting and holding a gear is smooth as butter but the noise always had me curious due to everything else being perfect.

Dialcaliper

If you hear chatter/rattle (that isn't the direct injection engine) at a stop, but it goes away when you merely depress the clutch pedal, don't worry about it. I've had two motorcycles and two cars develop this over time. The first car I had to replace around 327,000 miles due to rust, the first motorcycle I had to replace approaching 90k due to high speed rear ender, the second motorcycle is starting to get this on an intermittent basis after 6k and the 2016 FiST bought new has been doing this for years now (also started intermittent) and it's around 60 or 70k. None of the vehicles developed any transmission or clutch issues. The FiST however is different in that, due to slave cylinder design/location, you don't want to hold the clutch pedal in, any longer than you have to. The other vehicles I didn't have to worry about that.
It’s never “great” to hold the clutch pedal in on any manual car because it loads up the crankshaft thrust bearing. Ironically, it’s less stressful on the thrust bearing to hold the RPM up (as in two-step/launch) - higher shaft speed = stronger oil film on any fluid film bearing.