Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Oil Temps Running Hot after installing Depo Intercooler

Anrusso

Hello guys,

I just finished upgrading the my stock 2015 Fiesta ST Intercooler to the Depo Intercooler. However, when testing it (in 68 degree night time California weather), I noticed my oil temperatures rising fast. In a short 10 minute drive my oil temperature went from 122 to 200 just driving casually.

With the stock Intercooler, I would be in the 160 - 170 range and not rise higher. Now, every time I hit the throttle, the temperature rises quick.

Does anyone know what could be happening? Is the Intercooler moving too much hot air into the radiator?

Thank you

redmoe

The increase in the size of the ic does restrict airflow to the lower portion of the radiator. Also keep in mind that the oil temp is a calculated value. I track it along with coolant temp to get a better idea of overall engine heating. I did find that the larger ic impacted my coolant temps so I upgraded the radiator for the hot summer climate here in Az.

redmoe

Also your engine temps should ideally be 170ish or above for spirited driving.

I often see my oil temp reaching above 200 on the interstate doing 75 in Oklahoma. 215 I believe is the max with a coolant temp of 193. Take it for what you will, but I will say it doesn't affect the oil quality. I went 8k on AMSOIL and still had a 3.4 TBN and their recommendation of another thousand miles further I could have gone. That was almost a year worth of driving.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Hello guys,

I just finished upgrading the my stock 2015 Fiesta ST Intercooler to the Depo Intercooler. However, when testing it (in 68 degree night time California weather), I noticed my oil temperatures rising fast. In a short 10 minute drive my oil temperature went from 122 to 200 just driving casually.

With the stock Intercooler, I would be in the 160 - 170 range and not rise higher. Now, every time I hit the throttle, the temperature rises quick.

Does anyone know what could be happening? Is the Intercooler moving too much hot air into the radiator?

Thank you
Honesty, I would avoid looking at the oil temps. It is an educated guess at best. They are an inferred value that I just don't trust that in any performance oriented situation. If you want to know the real oil temp, you can figure out how to add an NPT port somewhere and put a gauge inside the car.

However, adding that intercooler did create an air restriction for the radiator. The oil in this platform is cooled by an water/oil liquid cooler on the stock cooling loop, it is actually a pretty decent setup IF you can keep you coolant temperature low. The hot coolant helps the oil heat up faster to warm up and cools it off when it is too hot. The reason Ford put colling system in is really just because the turbocharger is primarily oil cooled. While, yes, it does have water ports, these aren't used much for cooling. They are a trick to keep the turbo from cooking the oil in the turbocharger if you turn off the car after a 1/4 pull or very spirited driving. Turbos without water ports are known to coke up with burnt oil if not treated wel.

This means that you probably aren't going to have oil temps too hot as long as your coolant temperatures stay below what water normally boils at; 212F (100 C) is a great point where good coolant temps should be below. Water can really pull a lot of heat out of the oil. However, if you coolant temps were in the 220-240 F range constantly, you would probably be slowly cooking your oil. When you get to the 245 F coolant, the engine is overheating and goes into limp mode. The coolant degrades a bit and needs to be replaced after you overheat.

Mishimoto recommended to first replace the radiator to reduce oil temps (since the coolant loop is doing double duty of handing both oil and water temps). As long as your coolant temps stay below...say 212 F on the street and track, I don't see a reason to worry about it. The oil has enough cooling. With a turbo swap and a radiator, I always see temperatures in the 190F to 200F range no matter what I am doing. So, I just know that my oil will always be OK.

I am also running oil in the thicker 0W-30/5W-30 range synthetic oil right now for the street, and I am considering something in the 0W-40/5W-40 range for multiple 20 minute track sessions. It is also a humid swamp here, so I'm not really worried about colder subzero startups like those poor bastards further north. I run summer tires all year round.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Honesty, I would avoid looking at the oil temps. It is an educated guess at best. They are an inferred value that I just don't trust that in any performance oriented situation. If you want to know the real oil temp, you can figure out how to add an NPT port somewhere and put a gauge inside the car.

However, adding that intercooler did create an air restriction for the radiator. The oil in this platform is cooled by an water/oil liquid cooler on the stock cooling loop, it is actually a pretty decent setup IF you can keep you coolant temperature low. The hot coolant helps the oil heat up faster to warm up and cools it off when it is too hot. The reason Ford put colling system in is really just because the turbocharger is primarily oil cooled. While, yes, it does have water ports, these aren't used much for cooling. They are a trick to keep the turbo from cooking the oil in the turbocharger if you turn off the car after a 1/4 pull or very spirited driving. Turbos without water ports are known to coke up with burnt oil if not treated wel.

This means that you probably aren't going to have oil temps too hot as long as your coolant temperatures stay below what water normally boils at; 212F (100 C) is a great point where good coolant temps should be below. Water can really pull a lot of heat out of the oil. However, if you coolant temps were in the 220-240 F range constantly, you would probably be slowly cooking your oil. When you get to the 245 F coolant, the engine is overheating and goes into limp mode. The coolant degrades a bit and needs to be replaced after you overheat.

Mishimoto recommended to first replace the radiator to reduce oil temps (since the coolant loop is doing double duty of handing both oil and water temps). As long as your coolant temps stay below...say 212 F on the street and track, I don't see a reason to worry about it. The oil has enough cooling. With a turbo swap and a radiator, I always see temperatures in the 190F to 200F range no matter what I am doing. So, I just know that my oil will always be OK.

I am also running oil in the thicker 0W-30/5W-30 range synthetic oil right now for the street, and I am considering something in the 0W-40/5W-40 range for multiple 20 minute track sessions. It is also a humid swamp here, so I'm not really worried about colder subzero startups like those poor bastards further north. I run summer tires all year round.
I love you and I'm a dumby! But I do know how to shoot gators in the bayou...they love dem marshmallows! But thicker oil does cause more parasitic drag on the engine therefore generating more heat...just get a cooler thermostat and run an oil cooler on top of the stock or upgraded radiator!

I love you and I'm a dumby! But I do know how to shoot gators in the bayou...they love dem marshmallows! But thicker oil does cause more parasitic drag on the engine therefore generating more heat...just get a cooler thermostat and run an oil cooler on top of the stock or upgraded radiator!
So far the Mishimoto radiator has taken care of things. Upgraded radiators are great for the FiST. Doesn't at all mean the oil I pick is the right choice, I'm just trying to prevent certain problems that crop up from the oil getting too thin. Thicker oils flow slightly less volume than thinner oils, decrease fuel economy, reduce HP, and cool slightly less. Ford designed these engines for 5W-20 at their original power levels and will serve anyone with a stock turbo perfectly fine.

I'm just cautious. What grade oil you put in just depends what you use the car for. I just prefer the better shear stability 0W-30 offers since my car is a tad beyond what Ford intended. A 30 weight oil has the same velocity as 20 weight oil if you raise the temp...like auto-crossing a bigger turbo, or just wringing the engine out every time you get on an interstate entrance ramp. It is fun, what can I say?

The only time I'd consider running a 40 weight oil is this summer. My fiance and I are planning to do a few track sessions in the heat of summer where we do a 20 minute run, switch drivers, and then let the other drive for 20 minutes. We always do autocrossing and track days together in the Fiesta. <3

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Meh...I think you would be fine...its when you start Getting into straight weights and the 20w50s ...a 5w40 I dont think there would be very much loss in fuel economy or extra heat generated. I'm still a stocker right now...but it will be going the way of garrett soon enough....within in a month I plan.....I have a ton of ow20 weight oil and 0w30 and 5w20 and 5w30....all Syn.... I have a Typhoon and I ran 15w50 in it in the winter time here in the Land of the cold air...it fired right up...easy as pie...I was surprised...yeah...yeah...I Drove my Ty in the depths of winter here into the -20 degree area....the AWD was a blast! I know that shell is or has changed its designation to Sn approved oil now along with the Ck or cJ diesel designation in their 5w40 Syn...I could be wrong about the desigantions they Change as much as I change my undies. I think you'd be fine though

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk