Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Overheated today pretty bad!

DAW

I drive my car for a few minutes home after work and my coolant temps shot to like 245! All of the bars for temp in the gauge cluster where lit up too, I recently uploaded the dizzy stage 2 tune, it was 112 out in as today, I have one step colder plugs on the way already. Any ideas? I put the Cobb Ots tune back on and no overheat, sent Jason an email about it also.was pretty scary today!

Last edited:

jayrod1980

I don’t know what supporting mods you have but if you have a bigger IC it’s probably taking up more space and making the radiator work harder. I used to get close to overheating every traffic stop here in Vegas. Mountune radiator fixed that problem. The stock radiator IMO is undersized or just prone to failure even on stock cars.

I don't really think it's the tune tbh. 112 degree weather is enough to make it overheat on its own. I used to have my car overheat at least twice a year just driving on the street in 90 degree weather. Definitely look into upgrading the radiator in the near future, especially if living in AZ.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

OP
DAW

DAW

Thread Starter #4
I don’t know what supporting mods you have but if you have a bigger IC it’s probably taking up more space and making the radiator work harder. I used to get close to overheating every traffic stop here in Vegas. Mountune radiator fixed that problem. The stock radiator IMO is undersized or just prone to failure even on stock cars.
I have mishimoto hard pipes, map intercooler, mishimoto intake, ts em bov.

OP
DAW

DAW

Thread Starter #5
I don't really think it's the tune tbh. 112 degree weather is enough to make it overheat on its own. I used to have my car overheat at least twice a year just driving on the street in 90 degree weather. Definitely look into upgrading the radiator in the near future, especially if living in AZ.

Ok I’ll order one stat!

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
112 that is hot. We had one of our work trucks boil over today and it was in the mid eighties.

I have been very lucky so far with this car and I drive it hard. But definitely going to do an upgrade one day. The cooling system is not adequate for this vehicle.
As already mentioned the upgraded intercooler reduces air flow to the radiator.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

OP
DAW

DAW

Thread Starter #7
112 that is hot. We had one of our work trucks boil over today and it was in the mid eighties.

I have been very lucky so far with this car and I drive it hard. But definitely going to do an upgrade one day. The cooling system is not adequate for this vehicle.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk
Yeah my intake temps said like 145! But charge temps where about 108. It’s nuts over here in the summer.

RubenZZZ

1000 Post Club
I drove home from Laughlin and outside temps were in the 113*+. I ran the AC too. I believe I had a Stratified 91 tune on as well.

I drove just fixated on the temp gauge, but it never moved past normal. Maybe I got lucky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
DAW

DAW

Thread Starter #9
I drove home from Laughlin and outside temps were in the 113*+. I ran the AC too. I believe I had a Stratified 91 tune on as well.

I drove just fixated on the temp gauge, but it never moved past normal. Maybe I got lucky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah it’s scary, I was in traffic when it happened. I guess I’ve got to do some research on which one to get.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club

Yes, in order for the tune to have had any responsibility whatsoever, Jason would have had to advance the timing beyond the point of benefit, and leaned out the fuel trims to beyond dangerous levels, along with raising your fan turn-on temp settings.
Somehow, I just don't think he did ANY of that, nor ever will. [wink]

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Yes, I just don't understand how those with the YUUUGGGE intercoolers (DHM/Pro Alloy, and to a lesser extent, the Bravo Alpha), in the south and southwest, even with large aftermarket radiators, do not overheat in the middle of summer, such is the totality of which they block the radiator. [???:)][dunno]

jayrod1980

Yes, I just don't understand how those with the YUUUGGGE intercoolers (DHM/Pro Alloy, and to a lesser extent, the Bravo Alpha), in the south and southwest, even with large aftermarket radiators, do not overheat in the middle of summer, such is the totality of which they block the radiator. [???:)][dunno]

Absolutely... the DHM was pretty and it was literally the first thing I purchased. I actually ordered it before I had the car. But, the Mountune radiator is so amazing good. It is the best money I ever spent on the vehicle. I never get close to even heating up... I which also keeps my oil temps under control.

Regarding driving from Laughlin, overheating is an issue in traffic... you have enough air flowing when at highway speed to keep it from happening with the stock radiator. Maybe mine was faulty, but once the car gets up to temps to crack open the thermostat, it won’t even get up to 200F. Mine has some water wetter, but it’s 75/25 water/coolant.

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
I never had issues here in Texas summer with coolant temps. But I have the stock intercooler.

I'd maybe dilute cooling system with water first before I did any hardware changes.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
The Bravoalpha is identical in size to the DHM unit BTW* No need to get a NON- PROVEN crash bar either.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
The Bravo alpha Core is 24×12×3. DHMs unit was 24x10.5x3.5. Which is almost literally the same size but the Bravo is a tad bigger without the huge end tanks like DHMs.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

jayrod1980

Got it... like I said, I would have gotten the BA if it was out when I bought the car and was looking for an inter cooler. It would have saved me from the slightly saggy bumper I have due to not having the trim behind the bumper holding it up on the stock crash bar. Perhaps I’ll scrounge up the money to get one and put the original crash bar back on and sell the DHM stuff. I wonder if there’s even still a market for it?

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Got it... like I said, I would have gotten the BA if it was out when I bought the car and was looking for an inter cooler. It would have saved me from the slightly saggy bumper I have due to not having the trim behind the bumper holding it up on the stock crash bar. Perhaps I’ll scrounge up the money to get one and put the original crash bar back on and sell the DHM stuff. I wonder if there’s even still a market for it?
I wish id gotten an Intercooler from them when they were around! But then the Poopy cyborg deal happened! THE DHM stuff holds it value well....it will fly I will guarantee you that!

jayrod1980

Not to hijack this thread but do you think someone would pay enough to cover the $550 or whatever the BA costs? I’d be selling the crash bar and IC together. I hear the crash bar is in demand... not sure who would want the IC with the BA being out but it’s a tank of an IC for sure. I’ve never run hotter than 5 degrees over ambient in any setting.

HardBoiledEgg

1000 Post Club
2017 with a ton of miles, had mountune since 18k i think. never over heated once, even now with my Bravo still have np problems....in SoCal