Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

P0420 - Bad Cat or Bad Sensor? MK7

When I first drove my car home (literally the first motorway trip) i get the Engine light on caused by P0420 (cat Efficiency poor) I cleared the fault code and the light never came back. 6 Months and 7000 ish miles later it came back when i was on a long motorway run again (i have done loads of long trips in between with no issue).

The car has covered 58,000 miles and I understand its not uncommon to have to replace the Oxygen sensors which I'm happy to do however i am worried the cat is the issue? Id like to think it wont be seeing as the car has never been mapped/tuned and was always driven with care prior to my ownership. It has never has a misfire which would cause the cat to burn out and maintenance has been carried out under mileage requirements.

So far i have cleared the DTC and cover another 150+ miles with no issues. I've been trying to get an answer on what to look for on a scan/diag tool. Is the downstream sensor supposed to fluctuate or be static?

P.S i know im a newbie, i did try do some searching before i posted but I apologise id this has been covered before and I've missed it!

OP
P
Thread Starter #3
Swap it out - it's really easy to get to, and you don't need an O2 socket. You'll gain a little together time with your ST swapping stuff you never imagined!
Haha yea together time usually ends in arguments! I actually have both Sensors so may just change them both as i know they lose efficiency over time. I got genuine ones to, in my experience cheap ones are a false economy

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
Replace the oxygen sensors. If it still fails, it's the cat.
That ain't cheap, and it shouldn't fail so soon.