Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Persistent Myths

OP
S

Siestarider

Thread Starter #21
I recall reading somewhere that running heater on track would not help our "overheating" problem. I tried it today when I saw 230 coolant and 250 oil during 1:30 pm session. Heater on full blast reduced temps immediately, 210 coolant and 225 oil on a deliberate hot lap. I logged all my sessions today, need to work the data over as this report is based on visual sample scans of AP at speed on track.

Also, I am the guy who mentioned adding a NACA duct to undertray and using it for either secondary intake to my Mountune box, or air supply to brake duct. Dyno and Dave have the water issue well covered. You could literally park in a puddle with the NACA under water and not have a water intake problem with the mountune air box.

OP
S

Siestarider

Thread Starter #22
Tried to fix double post and messed up somehow. Anyway, earlier question about dual intake hoses is good question. my problem with mountune box is that where the lower hose end is located, next to fog light, is normally at lower than ambient pressure at speed. So you have one above-ambient pressure inlet (stock) and one below-ambient air inlet (lower mountune hose) trying to fee a lower pressure area (turbo intake) with air.

Whatever can be done to increase air pressure at turbo intake will show up as less pressure loss in the intake system. Good thing to do if possible.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
I stand corrected.

have to admit I was not looking at the whole picture. I forgot about the upper intake, I had a big scoop on my last Duramax down below the bumper but it was open up top and on the back of it a bit as well.

In thinking this over I have never heard of a hydro locked engine not caused by driving into deep water or a WMI issue.

And each successive exhaust stroke would pump out whatever was in the chamber, it probably would take less than an ounce of water as the chamber area is quite small but getting that much water during one intake cycle would be pretty difficult to achieve in the rain.

Every vehicle I have ever driven the engine loved the rain as well.

A little humble pie is a good thing now and again:)

-------

I do have a concern with a cowl intake in certain weather though, that is something that could be of concern but it might be more turbo related if standing water was in the housing or enough water drained into the turbo, froze, etc.....maybe the car would not even be able to start and likely not cause a hydro lock either.

--------

I too have had a heater on full blast, once in Death Valley in the summer, climbing a single lane road, cars behind, no place to pull over, cracked all the rings, took a lot of oil to get back to the bay area. The second time at MMP, 97 degrees, after the 4th 20 minute session I felt physically lighter as well as light headed and decided to not run the 5th session for safety reasons. I had spent 2.5 years in therapy and loss nearly all movement in my left shoulder on the last ski run of the day when I was already dead tired a few years before, I learned a lesson it seems.