Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Plastidip Question

I have a 2015 FiST Ingot Silver that came with the "premium" Rado grey wheels. I really don't like all the silver/grey on the car so I'm thinking of spraying the wheels with plastidip in black.

I did my old Honda Fit wheels in black and they kept up fine for about two years until I had some curb rash.

I have a few questions.

1.) Does anyone have an Ingot Silver with either black wheels or plastidipped Rados so I can see what it would look like on the car?
2.) Is there a plastidip sealer of some sort so I can go matte black then seal it with a clear on top?
3.) What's the best way to do this? On my Honda I did the spray with the wheels on the car, just masked off the wheel wells, fenders, and covered the rotors/brake calipers. I'm limited with tools at my house, so I'm hoping I can get away with spraying on the car.

Thanks in advance guys!

MKVIIST

5000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
I found a white one.

And a blue one.

OP
D
Thread Starter #3
I found a white one.
I really like the way it looks on the white ST. I'm wondering if it'll look good on my Silver ST. I'm also considering plastidip's "pure purple" color for my wheels but not sure how that'd look on a silver ST.

Thanks for the quick response, I appreciate it!

MKVIIST

5000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
Try the purple lol. If you don't like it peal it off.

OP
D
Thread Starter #5
I did a hacky photoshop job on my car before it was tinted. The black doesn't look too bad. Ignore the crappy photoshop skills.

OP
D
Thread Starter #6
Try the purple lol. If you don't like it peal it off.
Good point. It's cheap enough. The purple might draw some interesting attention to my car. Especially after I put in my high flow filter which brings the WHP to 700+ [wrenchin] lol

I have a 2015 FiST Ingot Silver that came with the "premium" Rado grey wheels. I really don't like all the silver/grey on the car so I'm thinking of spraying the wheels with plastidip in black.

I did my old Honda Fit wheels in black and they kept up fine for about two years until I had some curb rash.

I have a few questions.

1.) Does anyone have an Ingot Silver with either black wheels or plastidipped Rados so I can see what it would look like on the car?2.) Is there a plastidip sealer of some sort so I can go matte black then seal it with a clear on top?
3.) What's the best way to do this? On my Honda I did the spray with the wheels on the car, just masked off the wheel wells, fenders, and covered the rotors/brake calipers. I'm limited with tools at my house, so I'm hoping I can get away with spraying on the car.

Thanks in advance guys!
You can find pics here. Forum member timmytoast .

OP
D
Thread Starter #8
Thanks for the link. This is exactly what I was looking for. I like how the gas cover is plastidipped too. I may do that as well.

Looks like I'll be buying some plastidip this evening. :)

Etyrnus

I've been thinking about purple on mine, black would be too much as I have the hood and roof wrapped with matte black.

OP
D
Thread Starter #10
I've been thinking about purple on mine, black would be too much as I have the hood and roof wrapped with matte black.
Actually that was my initial idea, to wrap the hood/roof with matte black vinyl. How much did you end up spending on the wrap? I'm still up in the air with purple vs black. Don't want to go too crazy with the black.

Etyrnus

Actually that was my initial idea, to wrap the hood/roof with matte black vinyl. How much did you end up spending on the wrap? I'm still up in the air with purple vs black. Don't want to go too crazy with the black.
Mine actually came with it. Dealership had the FiST at one of their other locations, and they had wrapped the hood following the outer crease lines, the roof, and the center panel of the rear hatch. And then they didn't list it on the sticker information. Was a bit of a surprise, but didn't cost me anything. I think they said between the tint and the wrap it would have been $700, but that's dealer pricing.

OP
D
Thread Starter #12
That looks really good. Especially with the wrap going down the hatch. I'm going to bookmark this. I think I want to do this too. Looks great!

They sell plastidip Glossifier(clear coat) and metalizers and other things aswell.

Use the tools they gave you with your car(jack and tire iron) jack your car up, put some jack stands under it. (i do one side at a time, like the passenger or driver side) unless you got 4 jackstands then go for it. i only have 2.
take the wheels off, clean them really well. Dry them REALLY WELL. Water drops can fuck up your dip when spraying. Mask off the sidewall of the tire, and mask off the valve stem. Begin spraying. Make sure you get the barrel nice and good so when you go to peel it off eventually it comes off easily. at least 1 can per wheel.( i always buy 1-2 extra cans for doing some extra coats in the barrels. careful putting your wheels back on and tightening the bolts, one time when tightening the bolt on my old wheels the dip under the base of the bolt started spinning with the bolt and caused it to rip inside the bolt area.

I was going to post some pics of my car but I see someone already linked you to them :)
Thanks to [MENTION=1932]doubletap[/MENTION] for that!
As mentioned above, clean the wheels very well and make sure they're dry. Don't worry about over spray on the tires as it will come right off.
You'll need to do about 6 coats. 1 to 1-1/4 can per wheel.
You can spray the wheels on the car. Just put garbage bags over the rotors and calipers. And watch for over spray on the fender areas.
As for my fuel door, I did 5 coats of black and 3 coats of the glossifier. I taped around the fuel door with green frog tape and painters paper to protect the surrounding areas.
The glossifier adds more gloss with each coat and protects the dip in a way.

Hopefully that helps you!

If you decide to tke the dip off, it doesnt just peel off, its a bitch. I found that engine degreaser liquifies it and it sprays right off at the car wash. I had mine dipped copper for a while.

If you decide to tke the dip off, it doesnt just peel off, its a bitch. I found that engine degreaser liquifies it and it sprays right off at the car wash. I had mine dipped copper for a while.
This can happen. Not always the case though.

The longer the dip is on, the harder it can be to peel off. There's plenty of videos on YouTube showing people who've had who cars dipped for a year+ peeling it off no problem. The dip on my wheels peeled right off after 6 months. Not all in one giant piece, but it came off easily.

The metalizers and glossifiers can cause it to be more difficult I think. Not enough layers makes it hard to peel, too. 4 coats is the thinnest I'd go. At least 6 coats is optimal.

Your method of engine degreaser at the car is a proven method to remove stubborn plastidip. Simple Green degreaser works as well and is good for more sensitive areas.

Etyrnus

A friend of mine that just dipped his entire Qube mentioned cleaning with acetone before applying? I know I'll need to scrub the hell out of my wheel to get rid of the brake dust.

Yeah mine was the copper metalizer. Came off in sand grain size pieces, but hit it with the degreaser and its like washing off thin mud.

A friend of mine that just dipped his entire Qube mentioned cleaning with acetone before applying? I know I'll need to scrub the hell out of my wheel to get rid of the brake dust.
Ha! Just want to say I would never advise acetone for a car. Eats away the paint very quickly. Used to use it for my work truck to clean all the stubborn brake dust. Worked great and now I have lots of dull patches in my clearcoat. FYI!