Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Plug and Play Mishimoto Oil Catch Can

Rhinopolis

I was not satisfied with the collapsed clear plastic, fiber reinforced hose that comes with the Mishimoto oil catch can, so I decided to replace it with some thing better.

I had previously modded the catch can to add a 5/8" Dia. copper tube and several stainless steel pot scrubbers placed in the bottom of the can. I attached the copper tube to the bottom of the right side inlet aluminum hose barb. This forces the gas down the copper tube, and out of holes and notches cut into the side of the tube, then through the stainless steel pot scrubbers. This increases the surface area that the vapor laden air passes through, inside the catch can.

I purchased a wire-reinforced, silicone hose (5/8"ID), and removed the Mishimoto hose. It was obviously not doing its job, and was partially collapsed.

This is what the new hose looks like. I used some tape to mark the length I needed, then cut the hose with a hack saw blade.

This should not collapse now!
Nice write up, thank you! I am copying your instal and would like to know where you purchased your wire-reinforced silicone and oil resistant 5/8" hose?

Thank you,

Ryan

EDIT * I just noticed where you replied that you got the hose from work and have no idea where we could purchase some from. Darn.....

OP
W

westcoaST

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #23
I have since sold that OCC and purchased clear wire reinforced tube from Ideal Vacuum.

Rhinopolis

I have since sold that OCC and purchased clear wire reinforced tube from Ideal Vacuum.
1. Was there a problem with the Mishimoto specific OCC that you noticed, or more specifically what didn't you like about that OCC?

2. I will receive my Mishimoto OCC this weekend and I am trying to plan out what hoses will make for the best fit. Why did you determine that the clear wire reinforced vacuum hose was best, what size and length of tube did you purchase, and how did you secure the connections?

Thanks for the guidance!

Ryan

* EDIT - I looked through the website that you purchased the wire reinforced vacuum tube http://www.pchemlabs.com/product.asp?pid=1409 and located the 5/8" clear wire reinforced vacuum tubing sold by the foot, and the temp range is 20F - 150F.

I am not concerned with the cold temps since I live in Houston, but is the hot temp range high enough? I apologize for asking so many questions, and thank you in advance for your answers.

OP
W

westcoaST

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #25
5/8" ID matches the OEM connectors, I purchased clear vacuum hose so o can monitor how well the OCC is working. A friend wanted a plug and play OCC and was willing to pay me more than I paid for the OCC, So I sold it to him. With the profit, I bought the baffled can and the clear hose.

OP
W

westcoaST

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #28
I hereby give Mishi permission to copy my setup. I'm moving it since I got the 2J Racing intake, and they'll be no room for the OCC where it sits right now. It will sit where my Mountune box is presently sitting. I'll post pixs of my revised setup in my build thread.

Rhinopolis

5/8" ID matches the OEM connectors, I purchased clear vacuum hose so o can monitor how well the OCC is working. A friend wanted a plug and play OCC and was willing to pay me more than I paid for the OCC, So I sold it to him. With the profit, I bought the baffled can and the clear hose.
Hi westcoastST, I received the 5/8 vacuum hose and although I have yet to see that hose up against the factory connections, the Mishimoto OCC connections are a much smaller OD.

There is substantial gap between the OCC connections and the hose that I can't see a hose clamp being able to seal. I measured, and the vacuum hose is 5/8" ID, and do you have any advice on how you made this work? Is there an adapter that you used that I might have missed?

Thank you,

Ryan

OP
W

westcoaST

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #30
Get ahold of Mishimoto, and have them send you the 5/8" OCC connectors. Where I bought my first OCC, there was an option to purchase different house connectors.

Great job westcoaST! And Kudos to Rhinopolis for the link on the compatible hose! Too bad Mishimoto (or anyone else) doesn't offer a kit with a baffled can, with the correct size barbs/nipples, and hoses that will work correctly. WestcoaST, you sold one to your buddy...how much would it cost for one of us to become a buddy? [twothumb]

Rhinopolis

Get ahold of Mishimoto, and have them send you the 5/8" OCC connectors. Where I bought my first OCC, there was an option to purchase different house connectors.
I went to Home Depot and purchased 2x Watts LFA-268 1/2"FL x 3/8" FL unions. They fit fine in to the Moshimoto OCC and are a very snug fit in to the 5/8" ID vacuum hose, which I want for that fit to be snug.

I also purchased stainless steel mesh pot scrubbers and am going to stuff my OCC full of those so that the air is forced to pass through the mesh, which hopefully "will scrub" the air that passes back in to the intake. I will see how I like the way that looks before running the car, as I don't want any potential loose material to get sucked in.

EDIT : I definitely did not trust that the stainless pot scrubbers wouldn't potentially release small pieces in to the intake. I guess for now I will just monitor and see through the clear tubing how well the OCC works.

The stainless steel mesh would probably work, but there are catch cans out there, that use perforated metal plates/discs for baffles, designed specifically to condense the oily vapor. Thanks for the Home Depot tip info...I don't have a Home Depot, but we do have a Lowes which is about the same thing.

Rhinopolis

The stainless steel mesh would probably work, but there are catch cans out there, that use perforated metal plates/discs for baffles, designed specifically to condense the oily vapor. Thanks for the Home Depot tip info...I don't have a Home Depot, but we do have a Lowes which is about the same thing.

I feel like this "base" OCC will work good enough, and I have paired it with the CFM baffled valve cover breather kit. Once other kits come out and we see the proven/tested benefits of these kits, I'll probably switch out. Glad you got something out of the part numbers I shared, and hopefully it can do you some good!

http://www.c-f-m.com/performancepar...-for-2014-15-Fiesta-ST-p5173.htm#.VYanqXA8KrU

Rhinopolis

I used the Ford hose end connections, snipping those off and then snugging them in to the 5/8" ID vacuum hose. It was a VERY TIGHT fit, but I made it work. The only thing left to do is to buy hose clamps to secure the vacuum hose on to the 4 connections points. Overall, I am please with how it turned out and I look forward to seeing how it performs.

Attachments

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
[MENTION=2925]Rhinopolis[/MENTION] Nice job, looks almost factor. Hope I can get mine that good. I have the extra ford factory hose but now waiting to see what Mishimoto or Boomba comes out with.

Rhinopolis

Thanks for the compliment! Time will tell and hopefully it functions as intended.....lol

Rhinopolis

I consider this to be a positive, and my system is definitely catching oil/gas/vapor mix. There is a low place in the line where I noticed after my morning fun run was over and the car had cooled down, had caught "oil" in the line. I disconnected the line on the engine side "easily", and drained out a tiny amount of fluid.

Below are photos showing the low point and the "oil" that was caught. I have no clue if any of this made it in to the can or not, and the side going back in to the intake from out of the can was dry. There was also "a droplet" of visible oil topside under the filter on the CFM breather valve.

Attachments

OP
W

westcoaST

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #39
I would lower the OCC and possibly shortening the line from the one way valve to the OCC.