Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Poll: Which car is more groundbreaking/special/unique?

Which is more groundbreaking: Fiero or Insight?

• Fiero - the mini Ferrari for cheap

Votes: 13 50.0%
  • Insight - the mpg king, a suppository on wheels

Votes: 13 50.0%

• Total voters

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Preferences aside looking strictly at the esthetics the groundbreaker was definitely the insight. Though there was a Prius in Japan in 97 it was not noted pretty much anywhere .. lol .The Insight on the other hand while coming out two years later beat the Prius to our shores.
Now whatever any of you want to wax nostalgic about on the Fiero they were piles of junk. Brilliant concept really badly executed on GM’s part. Reason being it was a parts bin car except for its exterior panels. That was the only groundbreaking part of it.. Design wise it was nothing new to the market. We had already had Porsche 914’s Fiat X19’s .
Had it been reliable and not a such a parts bin pile it would have been ground breaking as a good affordable mid engine car. Except GM messed it up in true Detriot we can’t make anything but big fashion. lol It was almost the comic follow up to the Chevy Vega. Another one of those could have been brilliant cars that GM managed to screw up with the all aluminum engine that they forget to steel sleeve the cylinders on, and the rest was history i.e. blown head gasket city.
My Dad gave my brother money to buy car in College and my brother came back with a Vega. lol a couple of years later the car died on the Grapevine and my brother not being really into cars like me walked alway. lol
Anecdotes aside Honda actually had decent tech in the Insight and it was a few years ahead of its time. It did not help that it looked kinda fish tank worthy.
Still all in all the Insight wins in this battle of groundbreaking ...Except EV1!! Yup GM really pulled off the groundbreaking in modern Electric cars with the EV1 ya it was not a hybrid but it did predate both the Prius and the Insight.

the duke

The insight was a quirky not-a-prius hybrid that was a neat engineering experiment.

The Fiero is responsible for an entire (Amazing) grand experiment and car company that was Saturn.

OP
jeff

jeff

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #23
You guys are letting me down here!!! The FIERO is winning!!! I said groundbreaking not cool! Everyone knows the FIERO is the more sexy car but this isn’t about that!

Last edited:

Dpro

6000 Post Club
You guys are letting me down here!!! The FIERO is winning!!! I said groundbreaking not cool! Everyone knows the FIERO is the more sexy car but this isn’t about that!

Side note and true story, a few hours ago my Fiero neighbor texted and said a tow truck was coming to take his car to the shop, he can’t get it started...
lol well look at your poll you even tilted it with the caption for the Fiero the mini Ferrari for cheap. Plus this a sports car forum people are more likely to pick the sports car regardless. lol

Thing is I was college age and I was buying 240Z’s at the time Fiero‘s were interesting junk. I knew one guy that had one. Everyone else just kinda looked at the cars as meh poor GM attempt at a real sports car. Vettes at that time were rather meh too and the only Corvetttes that were cool were the older ones and the ones at the Racetrack.

Last edited by a moderator:

SteveS

1000 Post Club
I was excited about the Fiero when it came out but after I looked at it and drove it, I waited for the MR2. Looked at the Fiero again when they put the V6 in it. Still no go. GM cars of that era were just plain terrible. Find a 1985 S10 and sit in it. Imagine all the windows about 12" higher, and that's what it was like to sit in a Fiero and the dash and controls look and feel the same. The Fiero was definitely not sprightly to drive. Ponderous would be the better adjective.