Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Possible 2016 Owner

Hello all.

I am currently looking at a 2016 ST. It has around 45K miles.

I am hesitant right now to buy it due to research I have been doing. I see there could be potential transmission issues. Any insight on this?

My previous used car buying experience have been TERRIBLE. 2009 Mini needed new engine or significant engine work, 2013 Abarth needed new trans at under 10K miles.

Am I better off just buying a Civic/Corolla and calling it a day? I want a fun car but I don't want to deal with all that again.

Hello all.

I am hesitant right now to buy it due to research I have been doing. I see there could be potential transmission issues. Any insight on this?

My previous used car buying experience have been TERRIBLE. 2009 Mini needed new engine or significant engine work, 2013 Abarth needed new trans at under 10K miles.

Am I better off just buying a Civic/Corolla and calling it a day? I want a fun car but I don't want to deal with all that again.
You're probably thinking the dst models. The manuals on the ST are pretty stout. Many have upped to 300bhp and run stock transmissions.

DEss

Spork1569

Hello all.

Could you maybe be thinking of the automatic transmissions in the non-ST Fords? Those have a reputation for going out and Ford is even being sued about it.

As far as I know anything with 3 pedals from Ford is a pretty bulletproof transmission and most of us here have had no issues. The stock setup is actually pretty well engineered for the FiST(can withstand more power than a stock car can put out easily) so unless you're looking to push really big power it should hold up well.

Granted though 45k seems a bit high for a 16, I found mine with half that for the same year but if it's a good deal and everything checks out I don't see why not to go for it.

I have a 16 and only have 20k miles so I'd say 45 is definitely a little high, but for transmission issues it's beens fine and only got better and smoother as soon as I changed the RMM and reprogrammed with an AccessPort

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

OP
W
Thread Starter #5
It's listed for 14,500. I think its a fair deal. I went to buy brand new 2 days ago but I don't want to pay 22K out the door. Should I look for a better deal than this?

So, the only thing I have to say about the transmission is that they have bearing issues. On occasion. Mine is sitting at Ford right now and the part is backordered till Aug 29. They are considering replacing the whole transmission.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sh...rebuild-over-replacement?.17031/&share_type=t

This link is a pretty close match to what is happening to me. Mine is also still under warranty, so I don't have to worry about the idea of buying used and then shouldering the burden of paying for the replacement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
W
Thread Starter #8
So, the only thing I have to say about the transmission is that they have bearing issues. On occasion. Mine is sitting at Ford right now and the part is backordered till Aug 29. They are considering replacing the whole transmission.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_fid=74193&share_tid=17031&url=https://www.fiestastforum.com/index.php?threads/In-the-shop-for-transmission-issues-rebuild-over-replacement?.17031/&share_type=t

This link is a pretty close match to what is happening to me. Mine is also still under warranty, so I don't have to worry about the idea of buying used and then shouldering the burden of paying for the replacement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is what I would be worried about as it is already out of warranty.

Mikey456

It's listed for 14,500. I think its a fair deal. I went to buy brand new 2 days ago but I don't want to pay 22K out the door. Should I look for a better deal than this?
They are not making them after 2019. The prices should come down because they Iā€™m guessing they want to get rid of their stock. The used market should come down as well. You probably could find one with less mileage if you wait or look around (maybe out of state?) There are many variables. Hwy mile vs. city miles. Stock vs. Modded etc...

OP
W
Thread Starter #10
Thanks all for the input so far!

Would the Ford Protect Plans (or the warranty via the credit union I'd finance through) give peace of mind enough to purchase? I've used warranty before but it was on a new vehicle or the original factory warranty. I am going to run a Carfax to see service history of this particular vehicle so I can see if oil changes and such were done on time.

Thanks all for the input so far!

Would the Ford Protect Plans (or the warranty via the credit union I'd finance through) give peace of mind enough to purchase? I've used warranty before but it was on a new vehicle or the original factory warranty. I am going to run a Carfax to see service history of this particular vehicle so I can see if oil changes and such were done on time.
I'm insured with Geico and they offer a 7 yr 100k warranty on new cars with a $250 deductible. Cost is approx $75 a year

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
I think you could get a better deal. Take it for a long test drive and listen for any strange noises. Tranny whine would make it a no go for me.
The engines in 16+ FiSTs are solid.

OP
W
Thread Starter #13
I planned to get a pre purchase inspection on it for sure. I think you are right about a possible better deal but I am having a hard time finding white with black wheels and Recaro seats. But, perhaps I will hold off for now.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
I paid $19,800 out the door, $18,300 before taxes and such. Also the powertrain warranty is 5 years 60,000 miles.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk