Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Post your datazap datalogs !!

dyn085

2000 Post Club
I'm definitely not surprised to see it doing better on a big-turbo car, but realistically-speaking the majority of FiST owners aren't going to end up BT. The optimal cooler for the OEM turbo is not going to be the optimal cooler for something larger. Right now, from the data that the community has shared, the J-Line is showing to be the best for the OEM application. There's nothing wrong with that.

DHM1

1000 Post Club
I'm definitely not surprised to see it doing better on a big-turbo car, but realistically-speaking the majority of FiST owners aren't going to end up BT. The optimal cooler for the OEM turbo is not going to be the optimal cooler for something larger. Right now, from the data that the community has shared, the J-Line is showing to be the best for the OEM application. There's nothing wrong with that.
I have not seen any logs with ambient, intake and charge temp on a j-line. Know were I can find one. Prefer 3rd gear pull above 22psi and 14psi at reline?

Russ

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
I just want to share this with you guys and everyone else.

Both cars are upgraded turbos, Both cars run withen 1psi of boost, both cars have the same intake, both cars have intake air temps within in 4deg's, and the difference is our DHM intercooler vs Cobb FMIC.

Again like i have said i have data on top of data. I just dont have all the time in the world so i share what i can when i can.

Russ
Could we see boost profiles exposed for both charts please? I noticed on the top (Peron chart) your not showing boost profile....

Also Intake, Charge, and Ambient shown for both?

thanks!

DHM1

1000 Post Club
Could we see boost profiles exposed for both charts please? I noticed on the top (Peron chart) your not showing boost profile....

Also Intake, Charge, and Ambient shown for both?

thanks!
Sure can it will prove my point even more but yea. Rods car has a large spike in boost pressure at the end which would make turbo out even hotter lol

Russ

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Sure can it will prove my point even more but yea. Rods car has a large spike in boost pressure at the end which would make turbo out even hotter lol

Russ
Just would like to see everything such that we can compare ...actually more interested in seeing overall profiles and how long or sustained the raised boost levels were held for each instance...

much appreciated and thanks!

dyn085

2000 Post Club
I have not seen any logs with ambient, intake and charge temp on a j-line. Know were I can find one. Prefer 3rd gear pull above 22psi and 14psi at reline?

Russ
There used to be some logs for comparison in the FMIC thread that got deleted, outside of that I haven't paid attention because I already have a FMIC. Razor and I had compared the J-Line to the Cobb simply because very few people post logs, and the J-Line was clearly superior.

I guess [MENTION=648]iso100[/MENTION] could take one and post out here if he's so inclined, and then maybe another member on the OEM turbo/DHM FMIC could post one as well for comparison if they wanted.

DHM1

1000 Post Club
Great oogly moogly, what FMIC are you running with 24psi? Your charge temps are rising 28 degrees during that run.

My car running ~24-25psi and the Mishimoto J-Line rises 1.6 degrees.

http://datazap.me/u/iso100/randy-revision-6-15t-slot-1?log=0&data=4-5&zoom=92-161

I've noticed that even the DHM Monster IC has charge temps that rise 10 degrees or more on a 3rd gear pull. Is the Mishimoto really that good?
Just would like to see everything such that we can compare ...actually more interested in seeing overall profiles and how long or sustained the raised boost levels were held for each instance...

much appreciated and thanks!
well this is the data zap thread!

http://datazap.me/u/drag4life723/cobb-vs-dhm-intercooler-big-turbo?log=0&data=5-6-12-15

ones that are marked Rod are the EFR and the other data is the GTX

Russ

DHM1

1000 Post Club
Great oogly moogly, what FMIC are you running with 24psi? Your charge temps are rising 28 degrees during that run.

My car running ~24-25psi and the Mishimoto J-Line rises 1.6 degrees.

http://datazap.me/u/iso100/randy-revision-6-15t-slot-1?log=0&data=4-5&zoom=92-161

I've noticed that even the DHM Monster IC has charge temps that rise 10 degrees or more on a 3rd gear pull. Is the Mishimoto really that good?
There used to be some logs for comparison in the FMIC thread that got deleted, outside of that I haven't paid attention because I already have a FMIC. Razor and I had compared the J-Line to the Cobb simply because very few people post logs, and the J-Line was clearly superior.

I guess [MENTION=648]iso100[/MENTION] could take one and post out here if he's so inclined, and then maybe another member on the OEM turbo/DHM FMIC could post one as well for comparison if they wanted.
Here is some stock turbo logs from a customer that just installed our DHM intercooler! I would love to see the J-line logs.

http://datazap.me/u/drag4life723/dhm-intercooler-stock-turbo-customer-1?log=0&data=4-7

http://datazap.me/u/drag4life723/dhm-intercooler-stock-turbo-customer-2?log=0&data=4-7

Russ

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Here is a log I ran a while ago which looks at charges temps before, during, and at end of 4th gear pull...

http://www.datazap.me/u/boostbumps/01112015-e2091-t8-4th-0?log=0&data=4-5-6-7&zoom=14-114

e20 2100-6100rpm charge temp increase.png

WOT from 2100~6100rpm with stock turbo / Cobb IC / TBE

Boost peak ~23.5 psi (2900rpm) tapers to ~15psi (6100rpm)

Max change or increase in charge temps seen at end of WOT run was 7.3 degrees (72.9F to 80.2F)

For most folks that are going to be keeping their stock turbo's and not tracking their FiSTs but still interested in some spirited romps thrown into the mix then Cobb's IC is more than adequate...

Now for those with intentions of upgrading to much larger turbo and tracking their FiST then a larger more efficient FMIC might be a good investment...

[HR][/HR]

Also it should be referenced and noted that the stock (OEM) IC over similar runs saw increases in charge temps of ~25F which where ~3x times greater that of the Cobb FMIC over similar runs...

DHM1

1000 Post Club
Here is a log I ran a while ago which looks at charges temps before, during, and at end of 4th gear pull...

http://www.datazap.me/u/boostbumps/01112015-e2091-t8-4th-0?log=0&data=4-5-6-7&zoom=14-114

View attachment 4949

WOT from 2100~6100rpm with stock turbo / Cobb IC / TBE

Boost peak ~23.5 psi (2900rpm) tapers to ~15psi (6100rpm)

Max change or increase in charge temps seen at end of WOT run was 7.3 degrees (72.9F to 80.2F)

For most folks that are going to be keeping their stock turbo's and not tracking their FiSTs but still interested in some spirited romps thrown into the mix then Cobb's IC is more than adequate...

Now for those with intentions of upgrading to much larger turbo and tracking their FiST then a larger more efficient FMIC might be a good investment...

I agree we cater to the guys that track there cars or live in hot areas or beat on them all the time and want consistent power.

Any way you can show a log with intake air?

Russ

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
I agree we cater to the guys that track there cars or live in hot areas or beat on them all the time and want consistent power.

Any way you can show a log with intake air?

Russ
Just trying to look from another perspective..I agree your very track focused and we're all grateful for that! :)

I live in an extremely hot climate btw and still very pleased with my Cobb IC...

Most of my logs look at charge temp changes...And as you can see even in your plots ambient and intake temps remain relatively constant during most WOT runs and its the absolute change or increase in charge temps over the run which are really the primary focus here....

Generally speaking I never see my intake temps any greater than 6.5 degrees over ambient...

That said I'm currently working on logs that will show all three (ambient , intake, charge) since I'm still not done evaluation my new intake and primarily focus on air temps and flows....i'll definetly post those when completed....

DHM1

1000 Post Club
Just trying to look from another perspective..I agree your very track focused and we're all grateful for that! :)

Most of my logs look at charge temp changes...And as you can see even in your plots ambient and intake temps remain relatively constant during most WOT runs and its the absolute change or increase in charge temps over the run which are really the primary focus here....

Generally speaking I never see my intake temps any greater than 6.5 degrees over ambient...
Weather your Auto X, Road course, drag racing or street driving there are several things to consider. Over all heat soak (at which point the intercooler will not allow a decrease in outlet temp), Recovery time from increased temp ( How long when this intercooler gets hot will it take to drop back down), Low Speed heat exchange efficiency (not enough air going into the intercooler to keep the out let temp down), Flow just pure air flow( Pressure drop is only slightly changed by volume but is much more effected by an intercooler with poor flow. Pre intercooler pressure being higher than out let pressure) etc..

These are several reason why no matter what you do with your car a good intercooler is important. I assure you that the DHM intercooler will out preform all these factors compared to the rest.

Do you need to spend 850$ on this kit. NO most dont they will get what they pay for and be reasonably happy. I am not saying every one needs our kit but i will defend its performance over the rest! Data does not lie. Numbers dont lie and Math does not lie!

Russ

dyn085

2000 Post Club
I don't think anyone is really giving a reason to need for you to defend your setup, and many of us have the tendency to push-aside info coming directly from the manufacturer/distributor and look to third-party data for information anyways.

Before you go full cp-e on me and act like I'm calling you a scammer-it's not that at all. Manufacturers have a vested interest in providing data that 'proves' their product is the best, and there's nothing wrong with that. It's up to customers to effectively evaluate a products' worth through their own legitimate comparisons. That will only come with the removal of bias and through comparing/contrasting third-party data.

Case-in-point: I bought the Cobb FMIC because I wanted a complete bolt-on solution and value the work Cobb puts into their products and service. Is it the best at shedding temps? At the time of purchase I didn't know but can now definitely say no. Does that mean it's a bad product? Not at all. It worked perfectly for my needs then and now, and only in the future will I know if I want/need something better.

Nobody is trying to disqualify the DHM FMIC, people are only searching for more data/information. Realistically speaking, it's something AP3 users should have been actively doing a year ago.

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
I don't think anyone is really giving a reason to need for you to defend your setup, and many of us have the tendency to push-aside info coming directly from the manufacturer/distributor and look to third-party data for information anyways.

Before you go full cp-e on me and act like I'm calling you a scammer-it's not that at all. Manufacturers have a vested interest in providing data that 'proves' their product is the best, and there's nothing wrong with that. It's up to customers to effectively evaluate a products' worth through their own legitimate comparisons. That will only come with the removal of bias and through comparing/contrasting third-party data.

Case-in-point: I bought the Cobb FMIC because I wanted a complete bolt-on solution and value the work Cobb puts into their products and service. Is it the best at shedding temps? At the time of purchase I didn't know but can now definitely say no. Does that mean it's a bad product? Not at all. It worked perfectly for my needs then and now, and only in the future will I know if I want/need something better.

Nobody is trying to disqualify the DHM FMIC, people are only searching for more data/information. Realistically speaking, it's something AP3 users should have been actively doing a year ago.
well said...

DHM1

1000 Post Club

Agree and dont worry not a fan of calling one names. I want our data and customers to speak for themselves. I love Cobb I have been using there products for over 5-6years. I have defended Cobb and there products several times. It's also the reason I'm comparing the best intercooler to ours.

Russ

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
I agree, Cobb is the best other alternative because they actually engineer what they sell, which is seldom the case in the "performance" parts world. (note, best in terms of good function and much lower weight than the J-Line)
I have used their products for years as well and always totally happy with them.

I had the J'Line but needed to shave some weight to get my car back in balance, to light in the rear when bombing the brakes at 130MPH on track and going to be faster very soon! I bought the Cobb when I was out of town then I was offered the opportunity to order the first DHM and jumped on it, save even more weight, better airflow and even bigger IC.

For a highly modded and higher HP car driven lap after lap all out a BIG IC is a must have item unless one is OK with running a hot lap or two then couple of cool down laps. Track time is very expensive so maximizing the reason for being there is worth the trouble and cost to have the best cooling possible.

---------------------------

I have lots of logs with the J-Line, Cyborg, 3" DP and exhaust and the best real CAI there is I will send some but have to dig through to find the best ones.

Soon I will have logs with the DHM EFR and IC you can use as well.

It is very very rare to get the real truth in this industry, again, we are damn lucky to have DHM build such great products, great prices and stand behind it with real data:)

Rick

dyn085

2000 Post Club
I agree, Cobb is the best other alternative because they actually engineer what they sell, which is seldom the case in the "performance" parts world.
I have used their products for years as well and always totally happy with them.

I had the J'Line but needed to shave some weight to get my car back in balance, to light in the rear when bombing the brakes at 130MPH on track and going to be faster very soon! I bought the Cobb when I was out of town then I was offered the opportunity to order the first DHM and jumped on it, save even more weight, better airflow and even bigger IC.

For a highly modded and higher HP car driven lap after lap all out a BIG IC is a must have item unless one is OK with running a hot lap or two then couple of cool down laps. Track time is very expensive so maximizing the reason for being there is worth the trouble and cost to have the best cooling possible.

---------------------------

I have lots of logs with the J-Line, Cyborg, 3" DP and exhaust and the best real CAI there is I will send some but have to dig through to find the best ones.

Soon I will have logs with the DHM EFR and IC you can use as well.

It is very very rare to get the real truth in this industry, again, we are damn lucky to have DHM build such great products, great prices and stand behind it with real data:)

Rick
I disagree. The Cobb is a great unit, but the J-Line is better if speaking strictly in terms of exchanged heat. This has been shown repeatedly in single-pull and track scenario's, though that data is all gone now. That doesn't make Cobb bad, it just depends on the overall use, and I think it lends well to the majority of OEM turbo owners that want a good FMIC but don't want to have to piece-together a system.

The FiST is notably tail-light under braking, and this can be much more easily remedied with suspension selection than FMIC selection.

Again, this is nothing negative against the DHM unit-it just hasn't proven itself yet. Much like those that thought they were buying the best when the Cobb FMIC came out, only to later find out that the less-expensive J-Line was beating it in terms of heat-exchange. The J-Line has proven to be very very good at what it does for what it costs, both in daily-driving and on the track, in a vehicle with an awesome tune producing significant power. Maybe the DHM will as well, but it's a newly released product that just doesn't have a ton of third-party testing done with it yet.

There are lots of questions that are only beginning to be asked because the product didn't exist before. Let the questions be asked and the data arrive and if it's the best it will be easily shown and noticed.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
I agree, the testing is important, third party, done right, is best, it will prove the results expected I am sure but there might be certain issues for specific uses that come to light.

All my performance posts are geared towards maximizing the results on a road race track while still maintaining street civility so not always applicable to other uses of the car, i.e. drag racing where more forward weight helps rather than hurts.

Since I cannot see your posts(DYN), I just read it in the PM notification email, I edited the above as by best alternative I meant in terms of cooling/weight as the Cobb is far lighter than the J-Line for those wanting to control weight issues.

We have not seen testing on a road race track where the Cobb has more direct airflow surface showing than the J-Line which is likely to help equalize the cooling effect of them, could even favor the Cobb.

We certainly can work with handling issues with suspension but location of the weight is a highly important aspect of setting up any car used all out on a road race track. Two cars setup identically and tuned to the max the car with more centered weight balance will be faster and usually safer at the limits, but I would always want a bit of front bias. Having built 510's, Miatas, Subarus, Scion, Toyota, Vettes, FWD, RWD, AWD and studied about everything ever published on handling, race car suspension design, etc...it is always best to have the best balanced weight, lowest roll center, center of gravity, etc, then work from there.

Designing out a problem then tuning to maximize the chassis will yield the best results over tuning around an issue.

I have found with the J-Line in the front of my car and a pretty stripped rear I had to keep the tank at least 3/4 full to settle the rear end down when on the brakes at speed. Just dropping down to 3/8 tank or so made a big difference, we are talking about a few gallons of gas so my goal was to reduce the front, especially in front of the axle, weight around 20lbs and spend the money to do it. The Cobb would of helped over the J-Line by quite a bit but the DHM helps a great deal more than the Cobb so it is a bargain for me to run it, besides the added cooling.

Since my EFR turbo setup will add some weight back, not as bad as out on the nose of the car, I still might spend the money to save a few more lbs with a CF painted hood.

-----------

My goals for this car are not the same as many. I want it fast, safe, reliable and easy to drive on the street, which the car totally stock is great at. I just want to take it to a higher level and still be comfortable as a grocery getter, audio demo vehicle....and spank a lot of unsuspecting "fast" cars on the track:)

I am glad to have the parts available and becoming more available and when I can help them be so, for myself and others with similar or goals that fit some of these parts and somebody far more professional now doing the job Russ is doing:)

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
That was rather long winded, sorry, I just have to say what I have learned in the decades of doing this fun stuff:)

Bottom line is having fun no matter what level you choose, can afford, etc......we all have a remarkable little pocket rocket to enjoy and some have different ways to choose to do so.