Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Powder coat calipers?

I recently bought a 2016 FiST with the Ebony wheel package, however the calipers were NOT red. I figured instead of going with the G2 setup, I could powder coat them, and have a better finish, and not have to worry about masking off everything while on the car, or even having to jack up the entire car at once to be able to hit all the calipers. It would also allow me to get better coverage, such as behind the slider boots instead of trying to mask it off and still running into either getting paint on them or not getting close enough with the paint.
So... Has anyone out there powder coated their calipers? I know it has been done on other cars, just wanted to know about ours

Or you could talk to your dealer and have the correct red calipers put on. I had the same problem, as well as a few others on here. I have yet to hear a dealer not fixing this issue.

Keep in mind that to do this you should totally strip the whole caliper (take out the piston, piston seal, caliper guide rubber, brake line) as it will be put in an oven to bake the paint on.

Other than that, go for it! If you were local I can get it all done in house.

Also, the red calipers are a different part number, meaning that you can buy them in red.

Young L

Yes to have it be factory perfect strip down the caliper but you don't necessarily have to strip it bare. I used the Dupli-color caliper kit on my 94 accord with it still mounted on the car and didn't have any issues. I would get an extra can of brake cleaner and good wire brush to clean it really well on the visible side of the caliper. back meh not so much, I wasn't really personally worried about the back side of it being all perfect.

Keep in mind that to do this you should totally strip the whole caliper (take out the piston, piston seal, caliper guide rubber, brake line) as it will be put in an oven to bake the paint on.

Other than that, go for it! If you were local I can get it all done in house.

Also, the red calipers are a different part number, meaning that you can buy them in red.
I did it for my motorcycle in my apartment. You're making it sound more daunting than it actually is. :)

Or you could talk to your dealer and have the correct red calipers put on. I had the same problem, as well as a few others on here. I have yet to hear a dealer not fixing this issue.
I hope this is true. I also got a '16 with the ebony package and it didn't come with the red calipers. I didn't realize they were part of the package until after I bought the car and now would really like them since I technically paid for them. Thanks for the suggestion!

OP
N
Thread Starter #7
Go to your dealer and ask. That's what I did, I said basically that with the Ebony package I was supposed to get the calipers, they looked it up and it did say that! They wanted to talk to Ford, which they did and had me bring it back in for pictures. They took pictures and called Ford again and got approved. Just waiting to get the parts in now! Also, make sure to mention that you have seen others have the same thing happen and that it is being resolved!
I hope this is true. I also got a '16 with the ebony package and it didn't come with the red calipers. I didn't realize they were part of the package until after I bought the car and now would really like them since I technically paid for them. Thanks for the suggestion!

That's kind of how I was about it. It wasn't that big of a deal, but the fact that I was charged $375 for the package, I figured why not get what I paid for. The dealership was super nice about it, they said they had to research it, and called back later in the day and said that I was right, and that they had already got the correct parts ordered. It was pretty hassle free, and Ford sent me a $100 check a month later apologizing for the issue, which was a pleasant surprise.

I priced out the red calipers and brackets and it is pretty inexpensive compared to the time it would take to disassemble, prep, powder coat and reassemble.

The paint option is certainly cheaper but I would say not as good.

If you are going to spend money on painted calipers, you might want to look at Wilwood brakes. They cost more but are more bling and improve braking.

OP
N
Thread Starter #10
For anyone that didn't get the package, that would probably be the way to go, otherwise I would suggest making the dealer take care of it, I mean then you don't have to buy anything or worry about it
-Nick
I priced out the red calipers and brackets and it is pretty inexpensive compared to the time it would take to disassemble, prep, powder coat and reassemble.

The paint option is certainly cheaper but I would say not as good.

If you are going to spend money on painted calipers, you might want to look at Wilwood brakes. They cost more but are more bling and improve braking.

Deli

Dealer replaced the calipers on my 16 with the proper red ones + $100 check from Ford + pads.
So I called the dealer 3 times last weekend and they were just not getting back to me. I finally spoke with a manager who told me to call the Service department to talk with them which I did. The guy said he'd have no way of knowing that this was part of the package and to talk to the Parts department who also said that they have no way of knowing what this part is and if my car was supposed to come with it. Is there a good way to get in touch with Ford directly to get this sorted? I'm extremely annoyed at getting the runaround by the dealership here.

OP
N
Thread Starter #14
http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/members/582-FordService

So I called the dealer 3 times last weekend and they were just not getting back to me. I finally spoke with a manager who told me to call the Service department to talk with them which I did. The guy said he'd have no way of knowing that this was part of the package and to talk to the Parts department who also said that they have no way of knowing what this part is and if my car was supposed to come with it. Is there a good way to get in touch with Ford directly to get this sorted? I'm extremely annoyed at getting the runaround by the dealership here.

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
[MENTION=582]FordService[/MENTION]is on the forum and should be able to help or point you in the correct direction.

Deli

[MENTION=582]FordService[/MENTION]is on the forum and should be able to help or point you in the correct direction.
Already tried. They have an out of office on. Might try calling the number which I was trying to avoid.

Any luck with this so far? I've sent [MENTION=582]FordService[/MENTION] a PM about this and haven't heard back.

My dealer has told me Ford won't do anything about it due to the production date of my 2016. So that sucks .... I'm crossing my fingers fordservice might be able to help but I don't have my hopes up since I'm in Canada.

Deli

Any luck with this so far? I've sent [MENTION=582]FordService[/MENTION] a PM about this and haven't heard back.

My dealer has told me Ford won't do anything about it due to the production date of my 2016. So that sucks .... I'm crossing my fingers fordservice might be able to help but I don't have my hopes up since I'm in Canada.
Funny you should ask as I just got an email back from Ford about 15 min. ago. For some reason FordService is no longer supporting the forum right now. I saw they put an out of office up with no return date, so who knows how long they will be gone. What I ended up doing is going onto Facebook and sending Fordservice a personal message through that. They got back to me within about a day saying that this has been an issue with a lot of the 2016 models with the upgraded ebony wheels and that they would look into it for me. The email I just got was with a case number and that they were sorting it out with my local dealer and should be in touch in the next few days. I'm hoping for the best on this. Let me know if this works for you too.

Right on, thanks for the info! I'll give that a try and post an update when I hear back.

Well once again when it comes to cars, the US is king! Ford Service Canada got back to me very quickly and said it's something that has to be dealt with at the dealer level. The dealer says Ford won't cover it.

Like I said, folks in the US have a pretty sweet deal when it comes to anything about cars. Cheap gas, cheap car prices, free shipping on any parts you want to get and dealers willing to do whatever it takes to make it right.

I sincerely hope you get your calipers sorted out!