Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Powerflex bushings

westcoaST

1000 Post Club
Has anyone tried powerflex poly bushings on any of their previous rides, or even their FiST? I was looking at the powerflexusa website. They have bushings for nearly every joint, including the lower engine mount. It looks like they fit the 2014 Fiesta ST. Prices are pretty decent.

http://powerflexusa.com/fiestamk70708-.aspx

rooSTer

1000 Post Club
Lots of Focus guys have used their bushings for the rear motor mount and exhaust hangers...all have been very happy.

I think Mod Bargains is a dealer too
Yup! We've been working with Powerflex for several years, and yes I have used them myself on a previous car that needed bushings badly. Great thing about powerflex is that they're all poly bushings, which means they don't dry out and crack like the factory rubber ones do. They'll stiffen the car slightly but not as such that it ruins the ride of the car, it's more of a extra supporting feel that you might get, but it's not very drastic, some don't even feel a difference, but those who drive the canyons a lot, will notice a slight difference in overall feel (depending on what bushings you get).

OP
W

westcoaST

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #5
Yup! We've been working with Powerflex for several years, and yes I have used them myself on a previous car that needed bushings badly. Great thing about powerflex is that they're all poly bushings, which means they don't dry out and crack like the factory rubber ones do. They'll stiffen the car slightly but not as such that it ruins the ride of the car, it's more of a extra supporting feel that you might get, but it's not very drastic, some don't even feel a difference, but those who drive the canyons a lot, will notice a slight difference in overall feel (depending on what bushings you get).
IS the only difference between the race and street the durometer hardness of the poly?

IS the only difference between the race and street the durometer hardness of the poly?
It's a more dense compound, yes. I'm not sure if any additional additives get put into it to make it any harder, but the only real point you need to know is if they have an option for a street or a race version, the race will transfer more NVH (noise vibration harshness), into the car, while the street versions will still be an improvement from stock, but without compromises.

Looks like $86 for engine mount bushings. I wonder how hard the "press old bushing out" step is....

Looks like $86 for engine mount bushings. I wonder how hard the "press old bushing out" step is....
There are old school ways to get around it if you're having issues. I don't necessarily recommend doing this just because it's a bit sketchy for me, but you can always burn out the old bushing, just set it on fire and let the old bushing melt out. For obvious reasons this isn't really a good way of doing it, it's messy, smelly and can be really dangerous (you're setting fire to rubber.... I mean comon, haha). Alternatively you can drill holes into the surrounding part of the bushing to give it more flex so you can push it out easier, like this:

Once again this step can be dangerous, and is a bit sketchy, but these are old school ways that have been used to help out if you're ever having a huge issue.

BlueBomber

1000 Post Club
http://www.modbargains.com/ford-fiesta-st-rear-motor-mount-kit-powerflex.htm

The rear motor mount set of bushings has been added to the ModBargains site for anyone interested - it's the "Street" compound but we can order the "Race" compound no problem - race compound is same part number but has a "B" at the end.

From what I can tell, this is hands down, the least expensive way to resolve that obnoxious "bang" of the motor smacking against the firewall.

OP
W

westcoaST

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #10
You can usually go to a machine or brake shop with a bearing press and they will charge you about $12.00 per bushing to push them out. Thats usually what I do.

Engine rocking is not bad in my car, but what is bad is torque steer. I would like to see someone offer PFF19-1502G bushings that go in the back of the front control arms. I think those would help reduce torque steer, if I understand anything at all about suspension geometry...

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
Engine rocking is not bad in my car, but what is bad is torque steer. I would like to see someone offer PFF19-1502G bushings that go in the back of the front control arms. I think those would help reduce torque steer, if I understand anything at all about suspension geometry...
Like these ? Granted these are the Front not the rear bushings but at least it is a start ..

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
me too! Now can we get a sponsoring vendor here to help with the price a bit! Kind of steep for a bushing, though it is adjustable for caster, which is great!
Sure Hit Up Jurrian at Mod bargains and ask if he / they can do better... Linky to his Profile and contact info he aka PM
I have asked him if he can do a deal on the lower motor mount bushings and am waiting for him to get back after the weekend ..

XuperXero

Anybody know the exact stiffness between street and race? I've done all my bushings on my old MR2 and they were rated Shore 65A. I'm wondering what the Powerflex street and race are rated at?