Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Powerflex engine mount bushing

Ok I was poking around looking for updates on securing the engine mount slice. Has the ziptie method held or is there a better solution? Either way I will seek out CPE Mitch tomorrow to see what he thinks we should do on my installation. He has a wealth of knowledge btw.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Ok I was poking around looking for updates on securing the engine mount slice. Has the ziptie method held or is there a better solution? Either way I will seek out CPE Mitch tomorrow to see what he thinks we should do on my installation. He has a wealth of knowledge btw.
I used a thin zip tie instead of the worthless rubber band over 6 months ago and that has worked fine, FWIW... But I'm glad I did both sides, BTW, almost felt peg-legged with only the passenger side done before I did the trans mount a month later.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
I was thinking of using SS safety wire.
Or the zip tie is good.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
BTW: Does anyone how wide that groove actually is?
I haven't received mine yet.

Spork1569

Anyone seen a good install video/thread for both mounts? Tempted to get these down the line but not entirely sure what it entails as the most popular video I saw had then drain the coolant which I'm not sure I would want to do. Haven't found one for the driver side as far as I can tell.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Wouldn’t that cut into it? It’s only made out of pineapple 🍍
I was not planning on making it tight.
However, now I am thinking of a spring so it can retain but still flex.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Anyone seen a good install video/thread for both mounts? Tempted to get these down the line but not entirely sure what it entails as the most popular video I saw had then drain the coolant which I'm not sure I would want to do. Haven't found one for the driver side as far as I can tell.
No video, but very good install info for both sides.
May take a little reading. LOL

powerflex-motor-mount-inserts

OP
MRX330
Thread Starter #12
I was not planning on making it tight.
However, now I am thinking of a spring so it can retain but still flex.
All it really has to do is remain in place while it gets squished. I smell smoke

I Just did this last week. I took the advice of @koozy and used a standard zip tie. You don’t actually tighten down on the slice unless you’re doing the ARP bolt upgrade. But it’s a tight fit in the first place!

You will not get that slice in there and properly alligned without some grease or wd-40. I consider the zip tie just good insurance for keeping the slice alligned during driving as the engine moves around under power.

All this will make sense when you do the install. Don’t overthink it. Do have a proper jack to support the engine. Do have some kind of lube and a zip tie around.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
As long as you don't have a '14 that hasn't had the recall done yet you will have soft rubber hoses coming off the coolant tank. You pull your headlight and pop the coolant tank up and you can just set it in the spot the headlight was in. Search for videos on YouTube, I eventually found them and they helped. I also advise doing the upgraded bolt at the same time, the stock one seems to break with only the stock pad in there and once you add the pineapple slice it has even more strain on it. Also agree that you need to jack up the engine like an inch and pull the whole mount and use a vise to hold it while you add the pineapple slice and torque it down, make sure to look up the torque specs, this is one you don't want to just guess on or else it can start squeaking when it gets loose over time.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
You don’t actually tighten down on the slice unless you’re doing the ARP bolt upgrade. But it’s a tight fit in the first place!
So you're referring to if you just try to loosen the mount and slide in the slice right? Honestly, I was under the impression that these bolts break all the time even with just the stock rubber slice in there and adding the powerlfex pineapple slice will just even more strain on that bolt. I don't recommend people do the mod without the upgraded bolt, TBH...

So you're referring to if you just try to loosen the mount and slide in the slice right? Honestly, I was under the impression that these bolts break all the time even with just the stock rubber slice in there and adding the powerlfex pineapple slice will just even more strain on that bolt. I don't recommend people do the mod without the upgraded bolt, TBH...
No I took the mount out, put the slice in, added a zip tie, and put the mount back in just like the instructions say. My point was it's a tight fit even before you reinstall the mount in the car, that's all.

I don't have any opinion on the necessity of the upgraded bolt. Obviously it's good insurance or whoosh wouldn't sell it. My car has low miles, it seemed like a lot more work and I wanted a simple mod I could get done in the morning before work. If it breaks I'll deal with it then.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
I do not think the bolts were breaking on people with just tunes. I think it was hybrids and BT upgrades that was causing the bolt to break . Also people doing drag racing.
I could be wrong but that was the impression I got. I plan on doing it ( bolt upgrade) but probably not till I do a Turbo upgrade.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
No I took the mount out, put the slice in, added a zip tie, and put the mount back in just like the instructions say. My point was it's a tight fit even before you reinstall the mount in the car, that's all.

I don't have any opinion on the necessity of the upgraded bolt. Obviously it's good insurance or whoosh wouldn't sell it. My car has low miles, it seemed like a lot more work and I wanted a simple mod I could get done in the morning before work. If it breaks I'll deal with it then.
Hmm, not sure what you mean by a lot more work? There's none at all, really, you still have to take the stock one out to add the bushing anyway... but yeah, I was in the same boat, low miles but I just happen to get a lot of feedback that it's best to take care of when doing the insert.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
I do not think the bolts were breaking on people with just tunes. I think it was hybrids and BT upgrades that was causing the bolt to break . Also people doing drag racing.
I could be wrong but that was the impression I got. I plan on doing it ( bolt upgrade) but probably not till I do a Turbo upgrade.
I understand, and that's fair that you say it's just the impression you got, but I've seen a lot of people in the FB groups with just a tune break these bolts. Remember, with an e30 tune alone you are getting as much torque as a hybrid easily, sometimes more!