Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Powertrain Warning Light - Help

My powertrain indicator light (wrench) came on about a month ago. The car was / is running fine and everything seems normal, so I haven’t though too much of it. Quite honestly, I initially thought it meant ‘take me in for routine service’ which I translate as please ignore. Yesterday, I decided to research the error as I am getting a bit annoyed of seeing it daily. Well, I found it’s a powertrain error, whoa! So, I took it in to Ford yesterday and they were “too busy” to look at it that day and wanted me to leave it and wait until Monday, haha! Then, I went to a no name body shop to see if they could read the code and clear, they couldn’t and couldn’t. So, I pulled out my Cobb AP and tried to read and clear (should have been my step 1 in hindsight). Cobb AP says no error code, a little confused after this. Then, I reset the ECU to clear all codes as a last ditch effort. Unfortunately, the wrench is still there. Any ideas or am I destined to need Ford’s help? Thanks!

D3

frankiefiesta

1000 Post Club
This happened to me after missing a gear badly while running the 1/4 mile. I shit my pants and pulled in the pit. Cobb AP showed no codes. I cleared ECU anyway and let it sit for a few mins. The wrench went away after I restarted the car. I ended up breaking a passenger side engine mount and figured that the light came on from the badly missed gear/the whole engine trying to jump out of the car

Moral of the story. I brought my car in to ford after replacing the mount. Told them transmission was whining. Had it replaced under warranty and everything has been good since. You may be destined to a dealer visit and I would suggest it just to be safe

This happened to me after missing a gear badly while running the 1/4 mile. I shit my pants and pulled in the pit. Cobb AP showed no codes. I cleared ECU anyway and let it sit for a few mins. The wrench went away after I restarted the car. I ended up breaking a passenger side engine mount and figured that the light came on from the badly missed gear/the whole engine trying to jump out of the car

Moral of the story. I brought my car in to ford after replacing the mount. Told them transmission was whining. Had it replaced under warranty and everything has been good since. You may be destined to a dealer visit and I would suggest it just to be safe
Damn. You just talked me out of ever going to the drag strip.

OP - I got you (I hope).

1. Uninstall your AP.
2. Turn your ignition on (without starting your car).
3. Push your gas and brake pedal down simultaneously, hold for 25 seconds.

There is a good chance it is your oil change reminder. Fun fact - it cannot be cleared while your AP is installed.

frankiefiesta

1000 Post Club
Damn. You just talked me out of ever going to the drag strip.
Really? Why? If you're afraid of breaking stuff then racing may not be for you lol the mount was $60 to replace. Btw that happened before I had shift bracket bushings, short shift adapter, and motul fluid. Since I put this stuff in shifting is ALMOST as smooth as a Honda manual

You can always just feather it out of the hole. I try launching like a mad man to get a good 60'

Edit: I encourage you to go drag racing. It's a lot of fun and you can meet some good people. I took the car several times before that incident. It was just driver error that caused the Mis-shift

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
OP - I got you (I hope).

1. Uninstall your AP.

There is a good chance it is your oil change reminder. Fun fact - it cannot be cleared while your AP is installed.
Yup 99% chance its that. All Fists I know crossing the 16000k or 10000mile mark do this indicating the first oil change. Owner manual page 183 for the reset, page 400 for the miles/km of the oil change. There are old threads about the oil life thingy not working and that Sync does not track it well and was removed on all Fiestas. But it seems to first one is missed. you will also note there are no codes with ANY OBDII reader. If there is than it in't this.

Good luck

Really? Why? If you're afraid of breaking stuff then racing may not be for you lol the mount was $60 to replace. Btw that happened before I had shift bracket bushings, short shift adapter, and motul fluid. Since I put this stuff in shifting is ALMOST as smooth as a Honda manual

You can always just feather it out of the hole. I try launching like a mad man to get a good 60'

Edit: I encourage you to go drag racing. It's a lot of fun and you can meet some good people. I took the car several times before that incident. It was just driver error that caused the Mis-shift
I was more concerned about replacing the transmission than dealing with a broken mount. And driver error is precisely what I'm worried about haha.

OP
D3 SS 3D
Thread Starter #8
OP - I got you (I hope).

1. Uninstall your AP.

Yep, that's it. Thanks! Much easier than going back to the dealer.

OP
D3 SS 3D
Thread Starter #9
Yup 99% chance its that. All Fists I know crossing the 16000k or 10000mile mark do this indicating the first oil change. Owner manual page 183 for the reset, page 400 for the miles/km of the oil change. There are old threads about the oil life thingy not working and that Sync does not track it well and was removed on all Fiestas. But it seems to first one is missed. you will also note there are no codes with ANY OBDII reader. If there is than it in't this.

Good luck
Thank you!

OP
D3 SS 3D
Thread Starter #10

Thanks, fortunately it was just an oil change reset.

If i may please, had the same issue as powertrain wrench appeared on my panel with the check engine as well

Theres solution mentioned below
Wats an AP??
----------------///

1. Uninstall your AP.

before you mess with the tune, see if it's just an oil-change indicator (mine went on at 10250).... try the easy stuff first.

I was able to drive to ofis with check engine on (no power train light) ,
Park it inside then when abt to go home an hour ago, just wont start,

Tried resetting ecu by disconnecting batery terminal - still is not starting, decided to go home and leave my fiesta,

Need help guys, appreciate all the help

I reset my indicator with Cobb stage 1 installed. No problem.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Interesting. I've always heard that it wouldn't reset with the AP installed. I wonder if that has been fixed in one of the new firmware updates?
You are correct. When first discovered it seems the AP3 with non custom tunes had issues and required to be unmarried. THe MP215 and other custom tunes seem to be fine. Maybe along the way Cobb made a fix in the tunes or the AP firmware. Easy enough to try with the AP connect and if not than first make sure the AP3 is up to date and next unmarry it.

There is also a TSB on the oil reset life thingy.

Thank you guys, i applird the solution of deppresimg the brake and accelarator for 30 secs, voila! It worked!
I was able to bring it home, but seems like the power train problem seems recurring, how do i solve this?? Tnx