Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Prototype Turbo tester needed. (The ultimate turbo upgrade?) 400whp?

OP
pwnall1337

pwnall1337

Vendor
Thread Starter #21
Thanks. So in terms of Pumaspeed's offerings and horsepower potential comparison, it would go:

G25>X57R>X47R>X37

Correct?

On another note these are insane power numbers for this car to be making. What is your personal strategy, seeing that you're heading for the 425whp range with the X57R, for keeping traction and making the power usable on the street? Or are you building it only for the drag strip? Just curious as I ponder more power, Daniel (G25) is not getting traction in 3rd gear anymore and he hasn't even started tuning for aux fuel. He has a ton of great supporting mods and knows what he's doing, I look forward to seeing/riding in the finished product. Just wondering what others in these power ranges are doing in terms of making the power usable.

Thanks in advance.

My car hasn't hooked 3rd since the x47r went on to be realistic. The 16x8 dekagrams and 225/45/16 r888r's wheel hopped bad rolling into boost from 40 mph and with the cobb traction control it ate my clutch from the catching/slipping. The mickey thompsons hook perfect for now. The car doesn't need to dead hook as that's how you break stuff. I slip the wheels intentionally when the car is launched to reduce impact on the drivetrain. We'll have to wait and see how it hooks once we go past 400whp and work with what we have when we get there. I planned on going with the quaife 5 speed sequential gearbox when it's released.

jeff

2000 Post Club
My car hasn't hooked 3rd since the x47r went on to be realistic. The 16x8 dekagrams and 225/45/16 r888r's wheel hopped bad rolling into boost from 40 mph and with the cobb traction control it ate my clutch from the catching/slipping. The mickey thompsons hook perfect for now. The car doesn't need to dead hook as that's how you break stuff. I slip the wheels intentionally when the car is launched to reduce impact on the drivetrain. We'll have to wait and see how it hooks once we go past 400whp and work with what we have when we get there. I planned on going with the quaife 5 speed sequential gearbox when it's released.
Awesome. That makes good sense about reducing impact/chance of breaking something.

2 more:

1, you never answered my question about power levels, G25>X57R>X47R>X37 correct?

2, I'm curious what you bigger power guys do in a preemptive sense in terms of preparing for clutch and transmission issues with these levels of power. Were I to upgrade from my X47 to one of the newer offerings one day, I'd need some strategy to save the parts that we know break as the car approaches ~380hp. Any 411 on this?

Really appreciate your insight.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Does anyone weld the diff (or run a spool, IF one is available, or they fab it up themselves) on these cars for EXCLUSIVE drag race, high power use??

I personally would not want to drive one of these at those power levels (no matter HOW or WHERE it comes on) without at least a good limited slip of some type (Torsen, clutch pack, etc.), even though I know that many do, or will without that mod. ;)

Last edited:

Jerickson88

Awesome. That makes good sense about reducing impact/chance of breaking something.

2 more:

1, you never answered my question about power levels, G25>X57R>X47R>X37 correct?

2, I'm curious what you bigger power guys do in a preemptive sense in terms of preparing for clutch and transmission issues with these levels of power. Were I to upgrade from my X47 to one of the newer offerings one day, I'd need some strategy to save the parts that we know break as the car approaches ~380hp. Any 411 on this?

Maybe slipping intentionally works, but what about the one time it does hook or bounce?

OP
pwnall1337

pwnall1337

Vendor
Thread Starter #26

2 more:

I already have clutch issues which is why I bought the spec stage 3+, which lead to me building a motor and waiting for the motor now to install the clutch. In regards to the transmission that's going to be a learning curve but I'm waiting for the quaife sequential.

In regards to #1 I responded in post #18

The X57 we're hoping will produce 400whp and have 28 psi of boost by 3,400 rpm in 3rd gear.

The Frankenturbo will be the most cost efficient hybrid on the market, it will have an uprated k04 center section and will not use the kp39 bearing system. Doug is still debating on whether to use the F21 or F23 CHRA for this unit.
The expected power output will most likely be slightly better than the x37, so maybe 265 whp on 93 pump and 300 on e30 which may be doable on the stock fuel system.

The G25 kit, Daniel is saying it's eating cake, or at least that's my interpretation of it. It's going on the dyno soon and he's hoping to break the stock block HP record at 28 psi or within tolerance of the OEM 3 bar map sensor. I'm excited to see this and I expect this turbo to be capable of 550 whp with a proper flowing engine.

For my engine, I'll be running the X57R turbo myself. I'm hoping for 420->430 whp maybe with my cams and holding power to 7800 RPM with peak power coming in around 4,000 rpm to give the car a really nice powerband.
Then I'm going to introduce my nitrous system that I have here with the x47 (22 shot), I've been unable to use it other than the dyno, because the clutch gives up life when it hits. I'll be increasing the shot to a 50 shot with the x57r and hoping to hit that magic 500whp. Typically the 50 shot should be good for around 90-100 whp, but with the fiesta heads not flowing the best and my pumaspeed quick spool manifold being on the smaller bore side, we'll have to see how much nitrous we need to hit that magic 500whp number. It also depends on how well the x57r performs as well.

In regards to my engine, It's got piper stage 1 cams, the bore is .20 over so displacement is marginally increased. The deck is not even on the OEM blocks so it was aggressively decked which also increases compression slightly, so it should flow more air than an OEM motor.

OP
pwnall1337

pwnall1337

Vendor
Thread Starter #27
Maybe slipping intentionally works, but what about the one time it does hook or bounce?
Typically with a manual trans you want to slip the tires and clutch when launching. This would be the proper way to launch the car. If you launch and drop the clutch you're going to lug the motor and break parts. This is the reason auto mustangs can go down the 1/4 with stock half shafts at 800 rwhp. The torque converter (oem) brings the power in as opposed just hitting immediately all at once.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Typically with a manual trans you want to slip the tires and clutch when launching. This would be the proper way to launch the car. If you launch and drop the clutch you're going to lug the motor and break parts. This is the reason auto mustangs can go down the 1/4 with stock half shafts at 800 rwhp. The torque converter (oem) brings the power in as opposed just hitting immediately all at once.
Exactly, I'd rather have to replace my clutch at 100k then brag about still on the stock clutch at 150k and not break things... Especially when our stock clutch is so good, although they don't look like a super common part to find outside of the Ford parts system so who knows how much they cost...

TDavis

1000 Post Club
Exactly, I'd rather have to replace my clutch at 100k then brag about still on the stock clutch at 150k and not break things... Especially when our stock clutch is so good, although they don't look like a super common part to find outside of the Ford parts system so who knows how much they cost...
OEM clutch I'm showing on my parts catalog is $132. Not too bad considering how long it lasts.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
OEM clutch I'm showing on my parts catalog is $132. Not too bad considering how long it lasts.
Nice, and definitely not bad at all considering how solid it is and how long it lasts... By chance do you know what the book hours are for labor to replace?