Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Quiet turbo

Are the OEM turbos just really quiet?
I did a spray clean of some valve/ turbo cleaner and for about one day I could hear my turbo made some nice audible difference.
You could hear the turbo sucking as you accelerated, where as before cleaning you would only hear it *psssst* after letting off the accelerator.
Only a day or two later the sucking acceleration noise went away.

At 26k miles

They are quiet I think all the plastic intake parts certainly muffle the sound. I have changed out my airbox, my intake, my crossover pipe and my charge pipes and I get spool up sound and psst from the blow off, not LOUD but you can hear it inside and outside the car...I think it sounds really good. If you want more sound the best bang for your buck might be a new intake like a short ram or something. Or buy a big turbo!!o_O Someone else will chime in here, there is a ton of knowledge and literally thousands of upgrades that have been done by the folks on this forum and literally every part you can find for the FiST has been tried by someone on here!!

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
I know the 2J cowl intake is extremely loud. I would get tired of that pretty quickly.

dhminer

2000 Post Club
Are the OEM turbos just really quiet?
I did a spray clean of some valve/ turbo cleaner and for about one day I could hear my turbo made some nice audible difference.
You could hear the turbo sucking as you accelerated, where as before cleaning you would only hear it *psssst* after letting off the accelerator.
Only a day or two later the sucking acceleration noise went away.

At 26k miles
What mods have you done? As others have said, an open element intake will make more induction sounds, but the biggest factor in changing the noise is going to be the downpipe. If you want turbine sounds, get a catless downpipe.

OP
fiestafajita$
Thread Starter #5
What mods have you done? As others have said, an open element intake will make more induction sounds, but the biggest factor in changing the noise is going to be the downpipe. If you want turbine sounds, get a catless downpipe.
I've done zero upgrades to the performance so far,
My next purchasing steps are
1. Rear motor Mount
2. Short throw clutch kit
3. I really want a fuel 4 port aux line to help keep my valves clean

I would like this car for a long time- and those poor valves get neglected daily cleaning.

Just purchased the car at 22k miles,
The only things I've touched on it so far is
-mudflaps
-pulled the intake manifold off to try to get some kind of cleaning done/ and to see what those valves look like.

Just purchased the car at 22k miles...
pulled the intake manifold off to try to get some kind of cleaning done/ and to see what those valves look like.
Any pictures of those valves? Curious since we're at similar mileage. Have weighed up and down between eventual 4 port aux and a crazier build, simple catch can, etc. I think I'm just going to run it hard as often as I can and accept a walnut blasting or two in it's lifetime. :ROFLMAO:

Any pictures of those valves? Curious since we're at similar mileage. Have weighed up and down between eventual 4 port aux and a crazier build, simple catch can, etc. I think I'm just going to run it hard as often as I can and accept a walnut blasting or two in it's lifetime. :ROFLMAO:
What about meth injection? From what i've heard and read it cleans those valves too and a system is way less than half the price of the 4 port. Not to mention if you are not maxing out the fuel system ie big turbo, high horsepower what do you need 4 port for anyway? I'm only asking this guys based on things I've read on this forum...

What about meth injection? From what i've heard and read it cleans those valves too and a system is way less than half the price of the 4 port. Not to mention if you are not maxing out the fuel system ie big turbo, high horsepower what do you need 4 port for anyway? I'm only asking this guys based on things I've read on this forum...
I mean you're asking the right questions. I haven't gone down that rabbit hole but it's always sat in my head as the interesting middle-ground. Do it, get down here, and pick me up for a ride! :LOL:

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
This intake adds some nice extra turbo and induction sound without being overly loud. I have it as part of the Mountune MP215 tune but it's available separately here. It's high quality and fits well. It retains the stock upper air box, so you can use either a stock air filter or the included thinner high flow air filter.
It adds an extra cold air intake pipe which tucks in behind the bumper near the fog light which helps increase air flow and helps bring in the extra sound.
https://www.mountuneusa.com/Induction-Upgrade-Kit-Fiesta-St-2014-18-p/2364-cais-aa.htm

Last edited:

dhminer

2000 Post Club
Meth injection will definitely help valve washing as well, but requires an additional tank for the methanol or repurposing the windshield washer fluid reservoir. You then have to monitor and refuel the meth tank. Aux fuel is more of a set it and forget it. Either one is mostly for folks who have gone big turbo and maxed out the stock fuel system around 275-285whp ish. Aux fuel can provide enough fueling for another 100+ whp if you’re trying to grenade the engine. To add an additional 30-50 hp is generally OK though

OP
fiestafajita$
Thread Starter #13
Meth injection will definitely help valve washing as well, but requires an additional tank for the methanol or repurposing the windshield washer fluid reservoir. You then have to monitor and refuel the meth tank. Aux fuel is more of a set it and forget it. Either one is mostly for folks who have gone big turbo and maxed out the stock fuel system around 275-285whp ish. Aux fuel can provide enough fueling for another 100+ whp if you’re trying to grenade the engine. To add an additional 30-50 hp is generally OK though

That's some really good points,
Cause I wanna make this thing last, not blow it up fast and hard

OP
fiestafajita$
Thread Starter #14

I have a post on my page of a video I recorded showing my valves

I've done zero upgrades to the performance so far,
My next purchasing steps are
1. Rear motor Mount
2. Short throw clutch kit
3. I really want a fuel 4 port aux line to help keep my valves clean

I would like this car for a long time- and those poor valves get neglected daily cleaning.

Just purchased the car at 22k miles,
The only things I've touched on it so far is
-mudflaps
-pulled the intake manifold off to try to get some kind of cleaning done/ and to see what those valves look like.
I was thinking of going single aux for the valve cleaning as well. However if you look around here the whole valve cleaning theory is pretty controversial. I think most people agree that aux fuel will keep your valves from getting worse but it probably doesn't reverse any build up already there. To be objective, no one has actually done a scientific study on aux fuel and valves on the Fiesta ST. Everything is anecdotal.

What *is* conclusive is tuning for aux fuel is tricky, the ECU isn't designed for port aux line so now you're adding in a line of failure to "fix" something that isn't a line of failure. That was my thinking anyway. Many tuners recommend going uprated injectors if you want more power and HPFP if you want even more power. As for cleaning your valves, walnut shell blasting the valves cleans them and does it well and safely. You can read around here how certain BMW techs were trained to provide this service because of early BMW DI engines would get dirty valves and you can pay one to do it anywhere between $200-500.

So you can pay $1500 for an aux 4 port. Get good at learning to wire your car to power the aux port. And then another $500 for a tuner to tune it. Or you can just take your car to someone trained to walnut shell blast your valves every 50-60K miles for $400 a pop and probably save yourself a lot of coin.

Oil catch can also theoretically keeps your valves from getting as dirty as quick too.

Last edited:
OP
fiestafajita$
Thread Starter #16
I was thinking of going single aux for the valve cleaning as well. However if you look around here the whole valve cleaning theory is pretty controversial. I think most people agree that aux fuel will keep your valves from getting worse but it probably doesn't reverse any build up already there. To be objective, no one has actually done a scientific study on aux fuel and valves on the Fiesta ST. Everything is anecdotal.

What *is* conclusive is tuning for aux fuel is tricky, the ECU isn't designed for port aux line so now you're adding in a line of failure to "fix" something that isn't a line of failure. That was my thinking anyway. Many tuners recommend going uprated injectors if you want more power and HPFP if you want even more power. As for cleaning your valves, walnut shell blasting the valves cleans them and does it well and safely. You can read around here how certain BMW techs were trained to provide this service because of early BMW DI engines would get dirty valves and you can pay one to do it anywhere between $200-500.

So you can pay $1500 for an aux 4 port. Get good at learning to wire your car to power the aux port. And then another $500 for a tuner to tune it. Or you can just take your car to someone trained to walnut shell blast your valves every 50-60K miles for $400 a pop and probably save yourself a lot of coin.

Oil catch can also theoretically keeps your valves from getting as dirty as quick too.

That makes a lot of sense,
You've brought up a lot of points I didn't consider- thanks for the information

That makes a lot of sense,
You've brought up a lot of points I didn't consider- thanks for the information
Yeah I'm not saying aux fuel is a bad idea. From what I've been able to read, as long as you're conservative with your tune and make sure the aux port is always powered when engine is turning you should be fine.

It just seems like the only reason people went with it was due to there being no other way to feed more fuel if you wanted to go big power gains on e30-e50 or resorting to methanol from 2015-2020. I think the valve cleaning was just a way to justify it for people who still went that way after jaguar injectors were discovered to be the best way to feed more fuel. And now also HPFP but most gearheads here say there's really no point in taking the party past 330whp if you want to keep the engine and drivetrain happy which you can get with just jaguar injectors on an s280 or 2860r on e30; the closer you get to 400whp the more you're asking for trouble is what i keep reading.

dhminer

2000 Post Club
Yeah I'm not saying aux fuel is a bad idea. From what I've been able to read, as long as you're conservative with your tune and make sure the aux port is always powered when engine is turning you should be fine.

It just seems like the only reason people went with it was due to there being no other way to feed more fuel if you wanted to go big power gains on e30-e50 or resorting to methanol from 2015-2020. I think the valve cleaning was just a way to justify it for people who still went that way after jaguar injectors were discovered to be the best way to feed more fuel. And now also HPFP but most gearheads here say there's really no point in taking the party past 330whp if you want to keep the engine and drivetrain happy which you can get with just jaguar injectors on an s280 or 2860r on e30; the closer you get to 400whp the more you're asking for trouble is what i keep reading.
Great points. I was too lazy to type that all, so thanks a ton. I have a 4 port aux, XDI HPFP and Pumaspeed’s version of the 30% injectors. I’m going to install the HPFP/injectors and probably not the aux fuel for all the reasons you mentioned. Maybe I’ll install the aux fuel as well once I’ve built the engine and trans, but as you said I’m pushing no more than 330wtq until then. HP isn’t as much of a problem but high torque down low in the rev range will send a rod to the stratosphere pretty quick.

dhminer

2000 Post Club
Thanks @dhminer

Yeah just trying to share all the info I've gathered as the longer this forum stays alive the better chance I have of fixing anything that goes wrong with my car.
Amen to that! I know there are a few folks on here like myself that will never get rid of the fiesta so I’ll be around a while.