Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Radiator Fan Problems

HBFiST2

Hey everyone, my radiator fan (I have a mountune radiator) has not been turning on for a while now and I’m finally getting around to solve it but 2 of the main problems I’ve found on the forum and subreddit haven’t fixed the problem. First I pulled the high speed fan relay and tested it with a multimeter and it seemed good. So then I ordered a new OEM fan shroud which is the only way you can get a new fan control module so I swapped it out and while doing so discovered that my old one didn’t have any signs of burnout on the contacts and to no surprise the new one didn’t fix the problem. My next thoughts are maybe the actual fan is bad and I should replace the whole shroud since I have the new one now anyways. My AP said fan actual and fan desired at 92% with the coolant temp at or above 200F and the fan wasn’t spinning.

Is there anything else I can test? Or should I just swap out the shroud and see if that fixes it?

Thank you in advance!

slopoke

Did you supply the fan with 12vdc and see if it runs? If it runs, I would get the car to operating temps where the fans are supposed to kick on, then see if there is 12vdc to the connector. Keep going upstream til you don't get 12vdc. Good luck.

OP
HBFiST2

HBFiST2

Thread Starter #3
Did you supply the fan with 12vdc and see if it runs? If it runs, I would get the car to operating temps where the fans are supposed to kick on, then see if there is 12vdc to the connector. Keep going upstream til you don't get 12vdc. Good luck.
Thanks, will try this out!

OP
HBFiST2

HBFiST2

Thread Starter #5
any update on the situation? i'm in a similar predicament
Hi, sorry for the late reply. I took it into Antspec for other service and told them about it. They took a look and said there was a lot of corrosion on the wire harness that attaches to the fan controller. They just cleaned that off but said if it happens again I will need to replace the harness. So it has been ok for a couple months now. Hoping it will last as long as it did before

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Yesterday my AC was getting warm when stopped, it was 116° in Phoenix. This morning I found that that the cooling fan was stuck and turned it by hand. It’s working now but making noise occasionally. I ordered this one to replace it, it’s on sale for $83.99 https://www.carparts.com/details/Fo...sembly/2016/ST/4_Cyl_1-dot-6L/REPF160928.html
They list it as fitting/working with the ST, but it does not have the OEM venting slats/flaps on it like the factory shroud. [???:)]

FiestaSTdude

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
They list it as fitting/working with the ST, but it does not have the OEM venting slats/flaps on it like the factory shroud. [???:)]
Do those actually do anything other than make installing the fan shroud even harder?

Do those actually do anything other than make installing the fan shroud even harder?
Their design purpose is to aid the fan in pulling adequate air through the rad in low speed / stop and go driving. Then when driving, the incoming air pushes them open so more air can flow through the rad and have somewhere to go. How much of a difference they actually make, hard to say. But when installing my Mountune rad I made a point to put sealing material around the shroud to seal sides to keep the unsealed gaps to a minimum.

Their design purpose is to aid the fan in pulling adequate air through the rad in low speed / stop and go driving. Then when driving, the incoming air pushes them open so more air can flow through the rad and have somewhere to go. How much of a difference they actually make, hard to say. But when installing my Mountune rad I made a point to put sealing material around the shroud to seal sides to keep the unsealed gaps to a minimum.
I’ve got the Mountune radiator also, didn’t seal the gap between it and the shroud. Temps stayed good before the fan died. I don’t see them making a noticeable difference. If I do notice higher temps though I’ll just put the new fan in the stock shroud.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Hi, sorry for the late reply. I took it into Antspec for other service and told them about it. They took a look and said there was a lot of corrosion on the wire harness that attaches to the fan controller. They just cleaned that off but said if it happens again I will need to replace the harness. So it has been ok for a couple months now. Hoping it will last as long as it did before
If the harness isn't air-tight then corrosion will occur; more especially if moisture, road salt is allowed in. Manufacturers seem to invest a lot into the wire harness connectors to prevent this kind of problem. Sometimes when taking things apart, seals are dislodged and aren't in the proper place post assembly. This leads to problems with corrosion down the line. In addition to checking the seals for the connector, slather that puppy down with copious amounts of dielectric grease, front and back.