Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Rally FiST

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
How do you monitor your temps? I have a scangauge but I know it’s not 100% accurate. I had it in for a few drives when I first purchased the car this January and it was reading close to 210 for intake temp in traffic. Weather was in the 60s. So I thought I’d put it back on the shelf.

But with summer approaching and temps already in the high 90s here I’m considering hooking it back up. Or finding an alternative.. I’ve been looking at gauge apps, I picked up a obd2 plug and thought I’d try some apps.
I own a Cobb AP, but it is not even 'married' to the car yet.

I use an UltraGauge EM Plus, which is 3M double sided taped to my lower center infotainment control area of the dash.
I leave it there, and plugged into the OBD2 port all of the time, since it is not as tempting to, or as valuable to thieves as the AP.

It can monitor everything that the AP can, save for the 'interpolated' oil temp, and maybe the ignition corrections.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I don't find them bad on the highway, but I also have a stripped interior so I get more exhaust noise than most. I haven't had mine long enough to say how they wear but @M-Sport fan uses the same tires as me (or similar ones) and he hasn't reported premature wear.
I've heard good stuff about x-ices from others on this forum btw.
Yes, same tires but in the 195/60-15 size, as I wanted maximal side wall for going down those bombed-out forestry road stages when working ARA rallies.

At this point I WISH that these things would wear out already, as they are going to 'age out' before they wear out at this rate!

They are dead silent as compared to my 215/40-17 Federal 595 RS-RRs, at any/all speeds. [wink]

FiestaSTdude

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Yes, same tires but in the 195/60-15 size, as I wanted maximal side wall for going down those bombed-out forestry road stages when working ARA rallies.

At this point I WISH that these things would wear out already, as they are going to 'age out' before they wear out at this rate!

They are dead silent as compared to my 215/40-17 Federal 595 RS-RRs, at any/all speeds. [wink]
Do the 195/60-15s rub at all? I know we're both at stock ride height and I would also like to get the maximum amount of sidewall.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Do the 195/60-15s rub at all? I know we're both at stock ride height and I would also like to get the maximum amount of sidewall.
Not at all, even under the most extreme suspension compression while turning/braking scenarios on pavement OR gravel..

They are the same overall height as my 205/50-16 Neo Gens (which rub always under braking/turning), but are much more narrow, and mounted on an inch narrower, and a 48ET Method MR501VT wheel vs. the 40ET Dekagrams, so NO 'poke' to make the tire rub anywhere.

OP
Caddis710
Thread Starter #27
I own a Cobb AP, but it is not even 'married' to the car yet.

I use an UltraGauge EM Plus, which is 3M double sided taped to my lower center infotainment control area of the dash.
I leave it there, and plugged into the OBD2 port all of the time, since it is not as tempting to, or as valuable to thieves as the AP.

It can monitor everything that the AP can, save for the 'interpolated' oil temp, and maybe the ignition corrections.
That ultragauge seems way nicer than my scangauge. Adding that to the list now lol.

I’m pretty cautious on the Accessport. I don’t want the dealer to deny warranty work because of it. I know they have to prove the mod caused the problem but I’d rather not risk it.

Especially here in Cali.. dealers, cops and insurance companies all hate modded cars and most people mod the hell out of their engines. Since we have smog here they’re even more strict on modded cars, can’t run a downpipe, even catted, or any aftermarket intake unless it is CARB certified. Even at that I wouldn’t risk it.. a bunch more reasons why I’m staying away from the engine.

OP
Caddis710
Thread Starter #28
Not at all, even under the most extreme suspension compression while turning/braking scenarios on pavement OR gravel..

They are the same overall height as my 205/50-16 Neo Gens (which rub always under braking/turning), but are much more narrow, and mounted on an inch narrower, and a 48ET Method MR501VT wheel vs. the 40ET Dekagrams, so NO 'poke' to make the tire rub anywhere.
Weird that your 16 setup rubs.. I’m guessing it’s the offset of your rim.. ? I run Sparco Terra 16s on 205/50/16 extreme contacts. No rubbing even on hard turns on the mountain roads.

OP
Caddis710
Thread Starter #29
Decided to attempt to wire this cheap light bar from Amazon. I didn’t think I had to remove the bumper but it definitely needs to be removed even at that it’s still some guessing. After a few hours I gave up. Might have a local stereo spot have a try but I’m just gonna have to add the Rally Innovations mount to the list, was trying to get away with this bar but it’s looking bleak.

Any suggestions?

Attachments

FiestaSTdude

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Decided to attempt to wire this cheap light bar from Amazon. I didn’t think I had to remove the bumper but it definitely needs to be removed even at that it’s still some guessing. After a few hours I gave up. Might have a local stereo spot have a try but I’m just gonna have to add the Rally Innovations mount to the list, was trying to get away with this bar but it’s looking bleak.

Any suggestions?
I can't help you with wiring that up, because I'm totally ignorant about that type of stuff, but I like the placement of it in that picture. I know some people mount them higher, which concerns me because it seems like it could block airflow to the radiator.
Another way to get more light that I plan on doing eventually is upgrading the fog lights. Baja designs and diode dynamics both make fog light housings that are much brighter than the oem ones.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Weird that your 16 setup rubs.. I’m guessing it’s the offset of your rim.. ? I run Sparco Terra 16s on 205/50/16 extreme contacts. No rubbing even on hard turns on the mountain roads.
It's the offset of the Dekas, combined with that extra half inch on either side of the wheel over the Terras, AND the excessive (section) width of the Neo Gens which does me in. [:(]

Hello all, long time lurker first time poster. I’ve had my ST a few months and have decided to go the rally route as I’m a long time rally fan and the rebel in me wants to take the unbeaten path. No competition for me as this is my DD but I do fish in the mountains frequently and take forest roads often. I’m in Southern California and would like to know if anyone local has a reputable shop that can fabricate skid plates and other off road work. My goal is to have a durable ST to take on the forest roads but can also be a comfortable DD. I have been looking at the YSR gravel coil overs but not sure if I want to pull that trigger. Any one have suggestions on a beefy suspension setup that doesn’t cost Reiger money lol. Strut/spring combo or other coil over options.. Anyone have experience with ceika coilovers? Also looking for information on the best tire/wheel set up. Right now I’m running Terra 16s on 205/50 extreme contacts on stock suspension. Any other information suspension wise like a-arms etc things to consider when going the rally route. Much obliged.
- Jacob
I sounds like you're about to create the Fiestatrek XV!

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
RaveBell, you are not too far from Lance Smith's operation (Vermont Sportscar/Subaru Rally Team/Subaru Motorsports USA) in Milton.

You are even closer yet to John Buffum's Libra Racing in Colchester.

Have you ever been to either shop?

RaveBell, you are not too far from Lance Smith's operation (Vermont Sportscar/Subaru Rally Team/Subaru Motorsports USA) in Milton.

You are even closer yet to John Buffum's Libra Racing in Colchester.

Have you ever been to either shop?
I have not been to either shop but I highly appreciate you informing me about this! After reading about them it makes excited to check them out!

Last edited:
OP
Caddis710
Thread Starter #35
The ultragauge came in. I was able to monitor coolant temps on my way home from work. Slightly scary to see 213 after sitting parked at my house for a few minutes, ambient temps were 60, although cruising around town it would range from 190-196.

The real test was to see where it’s at driving in this 100 degree weather. Cruising on the freeway it didn’t budge from 194. Goes to show how effective the fan is. Sitting at a light it would stay at 197-198. Can’t complain about that in 98 degree weather.

For me though 213 is a little too close for comfort. I have definitely decided to order the Mountune radiator. We are barely going into June and with 100+ degree weather in the future I’m not going to risk it. Besides the radiator, anyone have suggestions on what I can do to keep the temps down? Has anyone used water wetter?

Attachments

FiestaSTdude

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
The ultragauge came in. I was able to monitor coolant temps on my way home from work. Slightly scary to see 213 after sitting parked at my house for a few minutes, ambient temps were 60, although cruising around town it would range from 190-196.

The real test was to see where it’s at driving in this 100 degree weather. Cruising on the freeway it didn’t budge from 194. Goes to show how effective the fan is. Sitting at a light it would stay at 197-198. Can’t complain about that in 98 degree weather.

For me though 213 is a little too close for comfort. I have definitely decided to order the Mountune radiator. We are barely going into June and with 100+ degree weather in the future I’m not going to risk it. Besides the radiator, anyone have suggestions on what I can do to keep the temps down? Has anyone used water wetter?
From what I've heard others say, you will be fine with just the Mountune radiator. I've seen temps go up to 220 while driving (at a high rate of speed in Mexico).

FiestaSTdude

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Are you on the stock rad?
Yeah, shoulda stated that. My point in telling you that is that I wouldn't be too concerned about seeing temps of 213. Obviously, cooler is better, especially when dealing with 100+ ambiant temps, but I think you'll be good to go with the Mountune radiator.

OP
Caddis710
Thread Starter #39
Yeah, shoulda stated that. My point in telling you that is that I wouldn't be too concerned about seeing temps of 213. Obviously, cooler is better, especially when dealing with 100+ ambiant temps, but I think you'll be good to go with the Mountune radiator.
Yea the more I monitor it and see how it ranges the more I think I don’t need the Mountune rad. If it ain’t broke don’t fix it has been my philosophy.. probably not the best lol

But I figure I can continue to monitor the temps going into summer maybe try some additive and if the temp becomes an issue I will pull the trigger. Since this is a daily and I rarely push the car past 5k rpm I’ll be fine. 🤞

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^Same here.
I want an aftermarket radiator, but it is just not possible right now.

It is going to be enough of an impossible ordeal just to get the brakes done, which I need to pass inspection, and drive the car at all. [wink] [:(]