Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Ravenol MTF-2 or MTF-3 ???

Hello All,

About to order and still trying to decide between the Ravenol MTF-2 or MTF-3 as to which is best for our cars overall and also the area I am in which is New Jersey. What is everyone’s thoughts, experience and opinions?

danbfree

3000 Post Club
I believe it's a matter if you get hot summers, at all, then use MTF-2. I live where it's pretty mild in summer and winter, use MTF-2, and almost wish it was even a bit thicker in the summer when it's over 80. Personally, I wouldn't use MTF-3 if you live where it gets above 80... So technically MTF-2 and MTF-3 meet Ford spec, but I'd be tempted to go 75-85 if it's still GL-4 rated. But MTF-1 75w-85 is GL4/5 rated and I hear you want to avoid GL5 at all costs, must be why only 2-3 meets Ford spec.... Anyway, for Jersey I'd go with MTF-2 since it gets above 80 more than it hits below 30... or does it? LOL

OP
DaveZtoA
Thread Starter #5
I believe it's a matter if you get hot summers, at all, then use MTF-2. I live where it's pretty mild in summer and winter, use MTF-2, and almost wish it was even a bit thicker in the summer when it's over 80. Personally, I wouldn't use MTF-3 if you live where it gets above 80... So technically MTF-2 and MTF-3 meet Ford spec, but I'd be tempted to go 75-85 if it's still GL-4 rated. But MTF-1 75w-85 is GL4/5 rated and I hear you want to avoid GL5 at all costs, must be why only 2-3 meets Ford spec.... Anyway, for Jersey I'd go with MTF-2 since it gets above 80 more than it hits below 30... or does it? LOL
Appreciate the advice and feedback. The thing about this area is summers do get between 80-90 degrees from about June - August. Then December - March we average about 30 degrees. The rest of the months are in between. So I am not sure if the MTF-2 or MTF-3 would be best.

What do you think are the pros or cons of putting either fluid would be? Also if the temperatures went outside the recommended range for either one?

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Appreciate the advice and feedback. The thing about this area is summers do get between 80-90 degrees from about June - August. Then December - March we average about 30 degrees. The rest of the months are in between. So I am not sure if the MTF-2 or MTF-3 would be best.

What do you think are the pros or cons of putting either fluid would be? Also if the temperatures went outside the recommended range for either one?
Just to clarify, I noticed I wish the fluid was even thicker in the summer more than I wished it was thinner in the winter with similar temps here. Not quite as cold in the winter but still, I think you'd prefer the MTF-2.. but both are FAR better than stock, absolutely zero downsides other than cost, which it does kind of suck that the factory fluid is bad and usually under-filled to the point of nearly a must-do mod as much as an RMM.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Been running MTF-2 now for 2 seasons in Mn where it gets to -20 to -30 below zero. NO COMPLAINTS....its perfectly fine. It gets upper 90s in the summer also....Best fluid change I've done period.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

OP
DaveZtoA
Thread Starter #8
Been running MTF-2 now for 2 seasons in Mn where it gets to -20 to -30 below zero. NO COMPLAINTS....its perfectly fine. It gets upper 90s in the summer also....Best fluid change I've done period.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk
Great to hear and thanks brother! Going to order the MTF-2. Based on most all the feedback, think that’s the right choice. Looking forward to changing it because it seems like the car not only needs it. But makes a very noticeable positive difference.

OP
DaveZtoA
Thread Starter #10
@DaveZtoA I just drained my transmission and put 2 liters of the Ravenol MTF-2 75W/80 fluid in. Buttery smooth shifts. I should have done this long ago. If TyphoonFiST is running this in MN winters I think we should be good in PA & NJ.
I agree 100% and that’s what I am going with based on everyone’s feedback and experience. Appreciate you sharing your thoughts and experience. Very much looking forward to dumping the OEM fluid and using the Ravenol MTF-2.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
The MTF-2 was still not 'balky', even the few times here in eastern Pa. it got below zero since I have had it in the transaxle.
(Even though I am somewhat south of you, it still gets colder here in the winter due to it being more rural, and colder than where I used to live in Union County N.J. [wink])

It has been flawless in the summer so far.

OP
DaveZtoA
Thread Starter #12
The MTF-2 was still not 'balky', even the few times here in eastern Pa. it got below zero since I have had it in the transaxle.
(Even though I am somewhat south of you, it still gets colder here in the winter due to it being more rural, and colder than where I used to live in Union County N.J. [wink])

It has been flawless in the summer so far.
Thanks brother, appreciate your feedback. Make sense and going to go with the MTF-2. Seems to be the right and best transmission fluid for our cars and my area.

SST

can you actually tell the difference between 2L vs let say 1.8L of fluid? whats the down side of under fill?

OP
DaveZtoA
Thread Starter #15
Going to change the Transmission fluid this weekend. Would like to to make sure and confirm its a even 2 liters of the Ravenol MTF-2? That's to specs and not to much or little?

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Going to change the Transmission fluid this weekend. Would like to to make sure and confirm its a even 2 liters of the Ravenol MTF-2? That's to specs and not to much or little?
Specs is to add fluid to overflow and then subtract until you measure down to a set MM below the hole. Most folks agree that 2 liters is just fine. (Its what I use for what it is worth)

4. Material : Motorcraft® Dual Clutch Transmission Fluid / XT-11-QDC (WSS-M2C200-D2)
1569886435500.png
5. NOTE: Remove enough fluid to be 1 in ( 20 mm) below fill hole.
1569886445991.png

i bought my car in October and now when it gets below 30,1st and 2nd gets really hard to engage and 3rd feels a little notchy but after it warms up it feels fine.Been thinking about the Ravenol and might do it sooner then later.Hopefully its not as bad as the focus st tranny oil I did.That was a disaster as there was no room to put the allen key at the bottom hole.

i bought my car in October and now when it gets below 30,1st and 2nd gets really hard to engage and 3rd feels a little notchy but after it warms up it feels fine.Been thinking about the Ravenol and might do it sooner then later.Hopefully its not as bad as the focus st tranny oil I did.That was a disaster as there was no room to put the allen key at the bottom hole.
There's plenty of room to access the drain plug. I took out the air-box for easier access to the fill plug. Have the right hex socket (8 I think) and it shouldn't take much more than 20 mins start to finish.

DEss