Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

RE-71RS rolling over. Soft suspension?

SteveS

1000 Post Club
You're right. That doesn't look like a pinch. I'd say the suspension wallowing too much is more likely the culprit. But I wonder also about the pressure gauge. I used to autocross on 70 and 60 series tires back in the day, and never had to go over 40 psi to keep from rolling onto the sidewalls. And that was on a 1978 Fiesta, which had much more unfavorable suspension geometry. I know we were doing an oil change ministry last weekend and one of the guys brought a fancy new digital tire gauge. He went around telling everybody that they had filled the tires too much because he was getting readings of 37 when it should have been 32. But every other tire gauge there, whether the stick kind or the racing gauge with pressure release button were all getting the same-32psi. So it can happen.

OP
foodtruck
Thread Starter #22
But I wonder also about the pressure gauge.
Pressure gauge I have is pretty budget; I've lost my Joe's gauge and haven't replaced that yet. In terms of pressure variation, I did play around with them this time and tried going to down 38PSI (at least what measured like 38PSI) and I can say there wasn't that much more rollover comparing to 43PSI. So I think you and others are right in that I should be able to run much lower ones after I fix the suspension.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
You're right. That doesn't look like a pinch. I'd say the suspension wallowing too much is more likely the culprit. But I wonder also about the pressure gauge. I used to autocross on 70 and 60 series tires back in the day, and never had to go over 40 psi to keep from rolling onto the sidewalls. And that was on a 1978 Fiesta, which had much more unfavorable suspension geometry. I know we were doing an oil change ministry last weekend and one of the guys brought a fancy new digital tire gauge. He went around telling everybody that they had filled the tires too much because he was getting readings of 37 when it should have been 32. But every other tire gauge there, whether the stick kind or the racing gauge with pressure release button were all getting the same-32psi. So it can happen.
Also, the 'stones in almost ALL models/variants are notoriously narrow in both tread width, and section width for any given size, hence foodtruck's 'no pinch' look for those 215s on a 7" wide wheel.

Whereas my Neo Gens in a 205/50-16 do look 'pinched' even on an 8" wide Dekagram, due to their crazy wide section width (their tread width is only about average for that size tire). [wink]

I have the Longacre digital gauge, one (or maybe two??) model(s) down from their top of the line big $$$ multi-car reading, and saving in memory digital model.

Is it any more accurate than any other 'lesser' gauge out there, or less accurate than the even bigger buck Intercomp digital models, who knows. [dunno]

FWIW this is how the fitment looks like right now... Did not look distinctly different from how old RE71r looked like in 205/50 so I didn't think twice. Going to see if I can find any rims in 7.5-8" width.
This setup actually looks better than I expected it to look to be completely honest with you. A tad more stretch would prolly be ideal. But I would honestly say the tire to wheel ratio wasn't the main concern here. Like mentioned previously it is probably the suspension being old and tired. Surprised at how narrow the RE71RS is. I would've imagined it to run wide like the AO52

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I would've imagined it to run wide like the AO52
The only tires which run wider than the A052s in any given size (in actual tread width at least) are the various Nankang 100 and 200 tread wear offerings.

Some of the old RA1 Toyos were wider than most as well, but those offer very few usable sizes for us currently.

Guys, from 1970 to 1990 the standard, Go To, wheel width for 2125 to 245 width tires was 7 inches. I know tires are a lot lower profile today but I would expect that 7 inch rims still work well with 215 tires and it really reduces the issue of rims rubbing curbs..

IMO the answer in this thread is new struts/shocks all the way around. In addition any bushings or replaceable links for the anti sway bars should also be changed out. As for why, when this car was newer it handled the R71s tires without any roll over.

The only tires which run wider than the A052s in any given size (in actual tread width at least) are the various Nankang 100 and 200 tread wear offerings.

Some of the old RA1 Toyos were wider than most as well, but those offer very few usable sizes for us currently.
That is true. The Nankang CRS runs WIDE lol

OP
foodtruck
Thread Starter #29
Current running candidates for suspension are Koni Yellows and ZetaCRDs...

As I understand, ZetaCRDs will allow me to keep the stock height but I'm little worried because I drive my car through winter muck and I don't think I'll be diligent enough to regularly clean them. We don't have a lot of salt in the area but we do have muck.

Is anyone running Konis yellows front and rear in autox setting? Are they streetable or teeth chattering?

OP
foodtruck
Thread Starter #30
I'm in H Street so replaced them with B6s, which have been fine.
Hmm these are not adjustable right? Are you running them in all 4 corners? How much do you feel they improve or not in autocross?

Part of me wants to get something non-adjustable because choices are stressing me out o_O

Hmm these are not adjustable right? Are you running them in all 4 corners? How much do you feel they improve or not in autocross?

Part of me wants to get something non-adjustable because choices are stressing me out o_O
Correct, they are non adjustable. I've got all 4.

The most obvious difference was the rears, which don't have the rebound jacked up as high as the pre 16' stock dampers.
The fronts don't feel obviously different. I mostly replaced mine because my stock ones were starting to weep oil.

OP
foodtruck
Thread Starter #32
Correct, they are non adjustable. I've got all 4.

The most obvious difference was the rears, which don't have the rebound jacked up as high as the pre 16' stock dampers.
The fronts don't feel obviously different. I mostly replaced mine because my stock ones were starting to weep oil.
Leaning towards these now... Have B6s changed ride height at all? Any issues with mismatched units? I'm wondering if they pair better with pre or post 2016 springs :unsure:

Leaning towards these now... Have B6s changed ride height at all? Any issues with mismatched units? I'm wondering if they pair better with pre or post 2016 springs :unsure:
when I first put them on, it looked like they increased ride height a tad. Now that they've got a few miles, I think it's pretty much a wash.

I'm not aware of any imbalance between shocks. Bilstein's reputation for being consistently valved was a factor in picking them over the Konis.