Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Rebuilt engine, no start. Suggestions?

SpiceyWulf

Premium Account
Hello good people of ST-land, I come bearing questions.

I've just "finished" rebuilding the engine after a rod bearing stopped its bearing activities, but now everything engine related is back in the car, and I think all the connectors and hoses are where theyre supposed to be, but it shows absolutely no sign of wanting to start (except sometimes I sounds like it gets ignition like 2-3 times then just nothing else).

Crankshaft, rods, pistons, bearings, all kinds of various gaskets, head bolts, water pump, timing belt, clutch have been replaced, most other parts have been cleaned. Currently filled with Castrol Magnatec 5W30 A5 oil, according to some posts here 5W20 apparently isnt recommended anymore due to NVH and LSPI.

The timing belt was done by a shop (not official Ford Dealer, just one we know the owner of. They borrowed the specialized tools for the job), so I dont think the timing is wrong.

According to FORscan, it is building fuel pressure, around 14.000kPa Fuel Rail Pressure, 65-70% ish on the Fuel Pump. Started at around 750kPa but went up slowly but surely after cranking it a solid amount.(Got a P053F code, but it disappeared after like 2000kPa l think it was, so might be irrelevant)

Havent checked spark yet, but the plugs are new (pre-gapped by Mountune), and coils are plugged in the way they should be in the same order that came out.

Before going to try and start it, we cranked the engine over to get some oil circulation with no sparkplugs, the injectors disconnected, fuel line after the HPFP disconnected (hose running into a bucket), and the fuel pump fuse taken out. Honestly mightve been a bit excessive, I suppose just no plugs and disconnected injectors wouldve done the trick.

Logging random stuff while trying to start it, Desired Intake and Exhaust Camshaft Position was 0°, but Actual Intake Camshaft read 29°, and Actual Exhaust Camshaft read -8° (I think, being as smart as I am, I of course didnt save the logs). Spark advance was 6°. Short Term Fuel Trim (Bank 1, Sensor 2) was at 99%, Long Term was 9%.

At this point I honestly have no clue what I'm doing, thought it would kinda just work, but wasnt that lucky. Checked some of the fuses in the engine bay, all good. The 29° on the Intake Camshaft just *feels* wrong to me, but is it within expected values? Idk how far the variable timing goes. Or is something horribly wrong? Any ideas what it could be, and what I should check? And what should I log with FORscan?

Current plan of attack is to see if a compression test kit we have laying around will work, if not, we cry :)

Also, on the back of the engine, above the exhaust, there are 2 bolts. Looking at the engine from the front, the left one is to hold the top water line for the turbo, however, what is the right one for? We kinda ended up with nothing there, which feels quite wrong.