Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Recommended Exhaust Options?

Being in Canada, I'll likely be waiting until the spring to buy an exhaust (miss the noise), just wondering about recommendations.

My current thoughts are between MBRP, Cobb and FSWerks, I definitely like a loud exhaust, though I'm a tad worried about drone. I like the aggressiveness of MBRP, but Youtube vids make it hard to judge the actual volume. As long as the noise doesn't make it very difficult to listen to music while cruising, I don't really mind a bit of drone, just wondering how others found their exhaust notes.

Cheers

Looking at those 3 myself. Leaning towards the FSWerks, appears to be the happy medium out of all options

I went Cobb for my CBE and it's fairly quiet. Definitely louder and deeper than OEM. Drones at 80MPH+ which isn't really a cruising speed in states lol. It definitely makes some good sounds under heavy acceleration but I wouldn't call it loud. Another FiST owner that works near me has the MBRP and it's quite a bit louder. Too loud for my taste but he loves his. I'd probably go with that if I went like GTX450r just so my sound is backed up by some serious quickness. Attract some people to blow away haha. I also never sat in his car with the doors closed and listened.

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Suggest to go to a local meet or get a coffee with someone local to hear them. ANything else will be the person's opinion and may not match your taste. Personally love my Mountune and heard the Borla. Both are low rumbles, subtle when normal driving but growl when pushed. Which may not be loud enough for your taste though.

Here is mine:

[video=youtube;YY4Ak5Kqz1Y]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YY4Ak5Kqz1Y[/video]

And comparison to stock
[video=youtube;X7G9mP7nG0s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7G9mP7nG0s[/video]

OP
C
Thread Starter #7
Thanks for the timely responses - I'll have to meet up with some local FiST owners to hear in person, as recommended. Fortunately, I have a few months to figure it out.

I hate to say it, mainly because I paid money for it, but avoid the MBRP. The drone at 2500-3000 rpm is literally painful.
On the other side of the spectrum here, I have it too, and the drone does suck but I don't think its that bad. The only time its really bad is if you're light on the throttle around 3k RPM at 75-80mph. I thought I was going to have to get rid of it....and then I drove through a tunnel...and then I got a Stratified tune....The noises the exhaust make are just amazing. It sounds like a rally car, super bass heavy, and the rumble at idle really is everything I want, plus I had my first 'cold start' (60*f so not really cold) and god damn it was good. And that is exactly what I want. I'm going to put some sound deadening in the trunk and see what that does, but for me I love the exhaust. I still think I'd rather have the CP-E but that is nearly double the price and quite a bit quieter.

Also I should add the drone is only really bad with people in the car, most of the time I can't really hear it over my music. And with the windows down you barley notice it at all. If you can go with a little drone I fucking love the MBRP, if you find yourself all the way down in SoCal shoot me a message and I'll let you hear it.

I would put forward the Mountune exhaust. It sounds deep and gives a nice burble while having no drone on the highway.

grnmachine02

On the other side of the spectrum here, I have it too, and the drone does suck but I don't think its that bad. The only time its really bad is if you're light on the throttle around 3k RPM at 75-80mph. I thought I was going to have to get rid of it....and then I drove through a tunnel...and then I got a Stratified tune....The noises the exhaust make are just amazing. It sounds like a rally car, super bass heavy, and the rumble at idle really is everything I want, plus I had my first 'cold start' (60*f so not really cold) and god damn it was good. And that is exactly what I want. I'm going to put some sound deadening in the trunk and see what that does, but for me I love the exhaust. I still think I'd rather have the CP-E but that is nearly double the price and quite a bit quieter.

Also I should add the drone is only really bad with people in the car, most of the time I can't really hear it over my music. And with the windows down you barley notice it at all. If you can go with a little drone I fucking love the MBRP, if you find yourself all the way down in SoCal shoot me a message and I'll let you hear it.

That's so weird. My car with windows up, at anything over 2500 rpm feels like someone is jack hammering your head. I love the way it sounds, but sometimes I can;t even hear it over the drone.

That's so weird. My car with windows up, at anything over 2500 rpm feels like someone is jack hammering your head. I love the way it sounds, but sometimes I can;t even hear it over the drone.
I know you PM'd me but I want to post in this thread so other people can read it. First off I'm 24, so I want a loud rally car exhaust because I'm immature and can live with it. I'll start with the install, I got the T409 and Cobb hangers, I used the MBRP hanger for the front most hanger (on the resonator) and the Cobb for the back 3. Since Installation I've adjusted the exhaust twice just to make sure its not rubbing anywhere, I have a minimum of a finger width clearance anywhere and I have sausage fingers. I will say all I've done is an airbox mod (read: drilled some holes) RMM, and a Stratified tune with the pops & crackles.

Driving drone; before the symposer delete I immediately regretted the exhaust, in fact on the first drive with it to go to return the exhaust cutter to AutoZone I bought the plug and installed it the next day. That helped tremendously because the symposer is loudest when the MBRP is loudest, and those two frequencies resonating together could give a headache that could drop a rhino.

My drone is fairly bad from, I'd say 2750-3250. When just cruising I either upshift or power through the drone band and most of the time its OK. The only time I've had unbearable drone is going uphill on the freeway going about 80, but I had other people in my car so the music wasn't very loud. At about 3250 I thought it was going to kill me, but my friends said it wasn't that bad, and I told them to be honest, but I still didn't like that drone. I've found that the drone is also really bad at the 2750-3250 RPM band when I'm anywhere from 0-25% throttle, at low speeds I can shift away from it or put my foot down to power out of it like I said. But at highway speeds with light throttle its really bad, I've found the drone is very reliant on throttle position.

With the windows down I don't notice much drone. That being said I listen to loud music and usually have the front two windows down, back two cracked and the sun roof cracked so before I can notice any drone the wind noise is louder. I can try and record some videos of it at some point this week, and I will to try and give a sense of my drone. I'm also going to put some sound deadining in the trunk and then I don't think I'll have much of a problem. I really don't think the drone is that bad and If I could drop it by 5-10 dB I doubt I'd even notice it. Once I sound dead the trunk I'll post a review of it, I think I'm going to try and do that in a week or two.

If you or anyone else has any more questions, feel free to ask and I'll do my best to help.

grnmachine02

Thanks for the reply. I also deleted the symposer and it helped a lot. I'm gonna try a 1/4 wave resonator, and hopefully kill the drone once and for all. Should keep the noise the exhaust makes the same though.

Got the Cobb kit installed yesterday, and at idle it's really quiet, a bit louder than stock, but not by much. At wide open throttle the sound is amazing. I know my brother said it wasn't loud enough for his Fiesta and is convinced he's going with the MBRP.

For me, I'm done with my Mustang days of loud obnoxious exhaust. The Cobb is at a perfect volume for me, with enough noise. From what I've gathered the FSWerks is similar in sound and loudness.

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
I don't think so. I've seen a couple on YouTube there doesn't seem to be a lot of videos out there. Any difference in performance? I'm looking for a louder exhaust thank stock but not overpowering loud like MBRP
Head to the last page of my build thread (link in signature) and you can see how the exhaust sounds - highway cruise, windows up and another right beside the tail pipe.

I can't tell you about performance but I imagine there is a bit to be gained - the obvious answer is that I did it for the sound, and it sounds amazing.