Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Resetting ECU and KAM before flashing

OffTheWall503

1000 Post Club
For those with an AP3, I was just wondering if you feel it's a good idea to reset the ECU and KAM every time you flash a new tune or at all. I feel it could make a difference but maybe it is automatically done with the new tune is flashed?

Has anyone seen if this makes a difference?

dyn085

2000 Post Club
It isn't a bad idea; it just speeds up the learning process by a little if you're completely swapping tunes. If you're just updating to a new revision of the same tune there's really no need.

OP
OffTheWall503

OffTheWall503

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #3
I switched over from a Mountune map from Randy to a Stratified so that's why I was curious if it matters.

dyn085

2000 Post Club
The ECU resets when you swap anyways so just do a KAM reset. If you were just going from a Stratified v1 to v2 then I wouldn't bother with either.

OP
OffTheWall503

OffTheWall503

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #6
Something weird happened just a moment ago. Before I left work I connected the Accessport and reset the KAM. The OAR reading went from -1.00 before to +0.60. I am going to completely un-install the Accessport to get it back to 100% factory and flash the Stratified tune again. Strange...

dyn085

2000 Post Club
Something weird happened just a moment ago. Before I left work I connected the Accessport and reset the KAM. The OAR reading went from -1.00 before to +0.60. I am going to completely un-install the Accessport to get it back to 100% factory and flash the Stratified tune again. Strange...
The tune can actually be set to have a certain OAR from the onset. A positive number would be an odd choice, but not impossible. If it starts at +.6 again I would just roll with it and let it learn on its own. Stratified is the only tuner that I'm aware of that uses OAR similarly to OEM so just let it do its thing and it will stabilize based on your fuel and overall driving habits.

OP
OffTheWall503

OffTheWall503

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #8
When I went from Mountune to Stratified without clearing anything first it stayed at -1.00, so maybe clearing the KAM was the right thing to do.

dyn085

2000 Post Club
When I went from Mountune to Stratified without clearing anything first it stayed at -1.00, so maybe clearing the KAM was the right thing to do.
It will probably move towards the negative again, it just needs to hit certain parameters first. Coolant temp, load, KS feedback, etc. Just don't expect it to hit or stay at -1 at all times like other tunes because it's a functional part of the tune now. Maybe some weekend we can meet up and I'll break out ATR and give you a better explanation with the programming.

OP
OffTheWall503

OffTheWall503

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #10
I don't know enough about tuning, especially the programming side. It would be great to get some insight on that.

According to Stratified email sent to you with the Tune, you will have to do some WOT for the OAR to settle down to its actual readings.

dyn085 said:
Stratified is the only tuner that I'm aware of that uses OAR similarly to OEM so just let it do its thing and it will stabilize based on your fuel and overall driving habits.
It will probably move towards the negative again, it just needs to hit certain parameters first. Coolant temp, load, KS feedback, etc. Just don't expect it to hit or stay at -1 at all times like other tunes because it's a functional part of the tune now. Maybe some weekend we can meet up and I'll break out ATR and give you a better explanation with the programming.
This is good info. Stratified's email does state that it "doesn't need to go all the way to -1. If it does that just means there's more room for improvement". Mine has been ranging from -.8 to -.92 so I was wondering if that was indicative of a problem or not.

OP
OffTheWall503

OffTheWall503

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #13
My flash tune is set up for 92 octane and it has stayed at -1.00 since it got there a few days after flashing. I wonder if there's more room for power.