Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Rubbing on the front drivers but not passenger

Enzo

I’d rub with 215/40’s during aggressive cornering with my ride height.
The harsh ride obviously came from the shorter sidewall.
They would be great for road race, but for a mixture of street/track I’m afraid I’m gonna bend a wheel.
I also feel I’d have more confidence throwing the car harder into a corner with a different wheel/tire setup suited to my driving conditions.
How many inches did you lower to?

Enzo

1.5” lower front and back I believe. Front seems a little lower though which is annoying.
I mean I’m on coil overs and i drive very aggressively but is it for sure your fenders or fender liner? And I just went 0.5 inch lower but it also depends on the side wall of your tires too

Sam4

It was both, the drivers side was just worse. And I’m not a fat dude at all.
was kinda kidding - nothing personal! But everything would count depending 'how low you go'. I sit on 215/45s with oe springs and B6s and only rub on certain tire brands (100K ish).

I mean I’m on coil overs and i drive very aggressively but is it for sure your fenders or fender liner? And I just went 0.5 inch lower but it also depends on the side wall of your tires too
I was running BFG 205/45’s, since I’ve gone to a 40 sidewall I haven’t had the issue.
It was a mixture of fender and liner. Not as much fender as liner.

Enzo

I was running BFG 205/45’s, since I’ve gone to a 40 sidewall I haven’t had the issue.
It was a mixture of fender and liner. Not as much fender as liner.
Well maybe you can cut the fender liner or roll the fenders a little nothing to extreme

Well maybe you can cut the fender liner or roll the fenders a little nothing to extreme
I cut the liners and have a fender roller, but I don’t want to go that extreme if I don’t have to.

I'll chime in.
I currently run 205/40/17 sdrive that are 23.6' diameter on a 17x7 rim with 40 offset. These sdrive if I remember are over 7.5inch contact patch on a 7.5 in rim. So I have 8in rubber on a 7in rim with 40 offset. I also have unknown aftermarket springs that I assume lowers the car a minimum of 1.5in

Full lock under load (agressive uturn/ braking downhill and turning) I'll rub lightly.

I've bought FA 500 to be built to have stock height ride and being able to lower from there 2in. I want full suspension travel. I want a 205/45/17 tire to ride the horrendous Canadian roads. The firehawks 500 are 24.3 in diameter but 6.7in contact patch on a 7in rim. This is the same contact patch as oem Bridgestone tires but 3/4in taller sidewall with 88w load rating compared to 84w from the Bridgestone.

Wow. That's alot of number to take in. So I'll need to setup my coilovers with a ride height at least 0.75inches higher than it currently is with added camber not to rub.
Ride quality should improve with more sidewall and adjustable damping. Camber should make it more responsive. The added height should be negated by stiffer springs handling wise (3k/2k stock vs 6k/4k with the coilovers)

Will it be worth 2500$? That's subjective. Will it be worth it? I'll update after its installed Monday or Tuesday.

Tires and suspension geometry is a numbers game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll chime in.
I currently run 205/40/17 sdrive that are 23.6' diameter on a 17x7 rim with 40 offset. These sdrive if I remember are over 7.5inch contact patch on a 7.5 in rim. So I have 8in rubber on a 7in rim with 40 offset. I also have unknown aftermarket springs that I assume lowers the car a minimum of 1.5in

Full lock under load (agressive uturn/ braking downhill and turning) I'll rub lightly.

I've bought FA 500 to be built to have stock height ride and being able to lower from there 2in. I want full suspension travel. I want a 205/45/17 tire to ride the horrendous Canadian roads. The firehawks 500 are 24.3 in diameter but 6.7in contact patch on a 7in rim. This is the same contact patch as oem Bridgestone tires but 3/4in taller sidewall with 88w load rating compared to 84w from the Bridgestone.

Wow. That's alot of number to take in. So I'll need to setup my coilovers with a ride height at least 0.75inches higher than it currently is with added camber not to rub.
Ride quality should improve with more sidewall and adjustable damping. Camber should make it more responsive. The added height should be negated by stiffer springs handling wise (3k/2k stock vs 6k/4k with the coilovers)

Will it be worth 2500$? That's subjective. Will it be worth it? I'll update after its installed Monday or Tuesday.

Tires and suspension geometry is a numbers game.

Wow that is a lot of numbers. I didn’t put enough that into mine before I did it and now I’m suffering. I’d like to be able to drive the car and not worry about bending a rim etc. I’m in OR pnw and winters can get pretty sketchy here. I have winter tires on stock wheels but I don’t think they’ll even fit at this point.

I’m pretty set on these coilovers. Them and the 500’s are supposed to be very similar from what I’ve read.
https://www.meisterr.com/products/meisterr-zetacrd-coilovers-for-ford-fiesta-st-mk6mk7-08/

I'm on 15' during the winter in 185/60/15.
They make winter tires in 205/40/17. You should be fine without rubbing or problems

I'm on 15' during the winter in 185/60/15.
They make winter tires in 205/40/17. You should be fine without rubbing or problems

I wish I went on 15s honestly but I like my wheels so much

i'm on 215/45R17 indy 500 firehawks wrapping fifteen52 chicanes on a bone stock suspension/spring setups that have 20K miles on almost 3 years of wear and i have a decent amount of clearance. gotta say i'm really surprised to hear you're having such bad rubbing issues before going 205/40R17. i got dpro's camber plates and was gonna put camber bolts up front in anticipation of my ride rubbing but didn't need it. konig hypgrams should put some added stretch in the tire too since those are 8" width compared to my chicane 7.5" width.

might still do it in the future as i guess my car is gonna start sagging a little at some point but i'm still kinda shocked you had so many issues.

i'm on 215/45R17 indy 500 firehawks wrapping fifteen52 chicanes on a bone stock suspension/spring setups that have 20K miles on almost 3 years of wear and i have a decent amount of clearance. gotta say i'm really surprised to hear you're having such bad rubbing issues before going 205/40R17. i got dpro's camber plates and was gonna put camber bolts up front in anticipation of my ride rubbing but didn't need it. konig hypgrams should put some added stretch in the tire too since those are 8" width compared to my chicane 7.5" width.

might still do it in the future as i guess my car is gonna start sagging a little at some point but i'm still kinda shocked you had so many issues.
I’m not having issues now being 205/40/17, it was 205/45/17 I was having issues with.
I’m having it aligned again in a couple weeks. I feel like I’m picking up every line in the road and it’s annoying.

I’m not having issues now being 205/40/17, it was 205/45/17 I was having issues with.
I’m having it aligned again in a couple weeks. I feel like I’m picking up every line in the road and it’s annoying.
Yeah I understand. I'm saying I'm surprised you had rubbing with 205/45/17 when I *don't* have rubbing with 215/45/17 on stock suspension/springs. Especially since my Chicanes are 7.5" width and Hypergrams are 8". Which makes we wonder if the difference in tires is what saved me (I run Indy 500 Firehawks).

Edit: p.s. I gotta give props to the look of your ride before I forget again. The lowered look with white paint and yellow fogs and the wing riser running 17" hypergrams would be my ideal hypothetical setup and it's great to see it in reality. I get that it's a different story when you're behind the wheel but just wanted to let you know that you got a clean ride.

Yeah I understand. I'm saying I'm surprised you had rubbing with 205/45/17 when I *don't* have rubbing with 215/45/17 on stock suspension/springs. Especially since my Chicanes are 7.5" width and Hypergrams are 8". Which makes we wonder if the difference in tires is what saved me (I run Indy 500 Firehawks).

Edit: p.s. I gotta give props to the look of your ride before I forget again. The lowered look with white paint and yellow fogs and the wing riser running 17" hypergrams would be my ideal hypothetical setup and it's great to see it in reality. I get that it's a different story when you're behind the wheel but just wanted to let you know that you got a clean ride.
Ahhh okay I see now lol sorry.
I think if I had 45’s in my current tire it may not rub, the sidewalls were really aggressive on my old tires. These are probably the best tires I’ve had besides continentals if you want to really try and squeeze a tire somewhere.
It is/was my ideal look and setup, but something about it hasn’t been 100% there for me. I took my wing risers off and it looks much better without them IMO. It looks good in pics, but made me cringe in person. Messed with the body lines too much for my ocd. So I’m gonna get a carbon wing extender. I’m gonna try and just hold out for now and roll with my wheel/tire and suspension setup so I can focus on my S280 plan. I made an appointment to have my car realigned by my buddy. Not sure what alignment specs I’m gonna try now but I need to try something different. It’s like I almost get too much feedback in the wheel.
I’d like to do a front splitter with support rods, side splitters, rear diffuser, rear wing riser, d spec rear taillights, and euro headlights.