Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Ruthenium plugs, who here has use them?

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I'm considering picking these up once whoosh has em in stock. Any idea what difference the slightly smaller gap makes?
Ideally the gap should be closed with how many pounds of boost you are running. .026-.028 for a Stock FiST with a OTS tune is just fine.

Fiestig

Saw no difference between the Ruthenium and Iridium plugs...FYI
Gapped same as iridium and my idle smoothed out immensely. Or I before I changed the plugs I just forgot to have coffee and the no caffeine jitters made the idle feel rough...lol. In other words... Coffee...., It aint just for breakfast. It's possibly for fixing rough idle as well. :coffee:(y)

just installed these 1 step colder and car started right up and drove smoother than before. old plugs had 9k on them and were overly black imo....stock tune is too rich seems like.

Fiestig

just installed these 1 step colder and car started right up and drove smoother than before. old plugs had 9k on them and were overly black imo....stock tune is too rich seems like.
Although my plugs had less miles on them, That is exactly my scenario. What did you set the gap at?

Pulled a set today that had 12,000 miles on them. I had gapped them at .026” originally and was not able to measure any appreciable gap erosion.

12,000 miles later a .027” feeler would not pass through the gap. Putting a new set in and I will run them for longer. Seem like good plugs.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Pulled a set today that had 12,000 miles on them. I had gapped them at .026” originally and was not able to measure any appreciable gap erosion.

12,000 miles later a .027” feeler would not pass through the gap. Putting a new set in and I will run them for longer. Seem like good plugs.
Are you on stock Turbo? If yes....thats a waste of spark plugs. Those things should last alot longer as they aren't being abused as bad with Tuned and upgraded Turbo.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

I just changed to NGK Ruthenium 1 step colder plugs today(LTR7BHX). They came gapped at .027-.028", which is weird because on the ngk website it says they come gapped at .043". I was surprised to see my 1 step colder ngk iridiums had a gap erosion from .025" to .035". They've been on the car for approximately 30,000 kms or 18,641 miles. I'm on stock turbo, and just have bolt ons and a couple tune revisions done.

I'm trying out the Brisk Racing Silver plugs, so far they seem good. I had 20k miles on my ruthenium plugs and they all kept the .028 gap except for one it came out at .026...I was E30 tuned but now I'm e-40 tuned on stock turbo with 7lb turbosmart wastegate. Comparing the Ruthenium to the Brisk Racing Silver I don't feel any initial difference but I will give an update later when I put some miles on them.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Haven't been able to find anything concretely definitive, but I believe the OEM "CYFS-13Y-RC" spark plugs are 100,000 mile platinum. A part number decoder (like what we can find with NGK) might help. Platinum has the highest resistance, but longest lasting. Copper is the lowest resistance, but wears out quickly. Iridium is somewhere between the two... lower resistance than platinum, but doesn't last as long.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Haven't been able to find anything concretely definitive, but I believe the OEM "CYFS-13Y-RC" spark plugs are 100,000 mile platinum. A part number decoder (like what we can find with NGK) might help. Platinum has the highest resistance, but longest lasting. Copper is the lowest resistance, but wears out quickly. Iridium is somewhere between the two... lower resistance than platinum, but doesn't last as long.
This is incorrect * Iridium and platimun are about the Same for longevity/ service life* I've seen anywhere between 50k and 100k depending on manufacturer.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Totally incorrect not sure where you got that information from but Platinum plugs do not last longer than Iridium.

What about iridium spark plugs?

Iridium is said to be six times harder and eight times stronger than platinum with a 700° higher melting point. Iridium spark plugs have extremely fine electrodes while retaining excellent wear characteristics. Thanks to its strength, iridium spark plugs can last up to 25% longer than comparable platinum spark plugs.

https://www.championautoparts.com/P...id to be,than comparable platinum spark plugs.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.carparts.com/blog/iridium-vs-platinum-spark-plugs/amp/

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk