Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

S280. Suddenly, no boost

Just installed an S280 with 14lb wastegate and Turbosmart BOV. Also installed Stratified 4-port. Getting custom tuned from Dizzy.

After the 3rd tune with just stock fuel, Jason said all looked good. He sent a revised tune and the fuel maps for the 4-port.

After a couple quirks, the tune was running great on Friday. Took it to the gym this morning, and it was awesome … actually touched 29 lbs of boost. It felt FAST.

I come out of the gym and now the car is like it’s NA. Won’t go past 5 lbs of boost. I have checked all hoses and can find nothing obvious that would cause a boost leak. No codes and no misses. I even unplugged the Aux fuel and went back to the prior tune …. no difference.

This is normally a track dedicated car, so the steering wheel is aftermarket. So, I couldn’t have hit any cruise buttons wrong to put it in some sort of valet mode. I guess it’s possible that the snipped lines behind the wheel touched or were grounded, but that seems unlikely.

I did try unplugging the battery and reloading multiple tunes to no avail. The Accessport says I’m in “Map Slot 1,” but I don’t know if it would say that with Dizzy custom tunes or not? When I check which ECU is loaded, it says it’s the Dizzy tune.

I don’t know what else to try here.

FiestaSTdude

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Just installed an S280 with 14lb wastegate and Turbosmart BOV. Also installed Stratified 4-port. Getting custom tuned from Dizzy.

After the 3rd tune with just stock fuel, Jason said all looked good. He sent a revised tune and the fuel maps for the 4-port.

After a couple quirks, the tune was running great on Friday. Took it to the gym this morning, and it was awesome … actually touched 29 lbs of boost. It felt FAST.

I come out of the gym and now the car is like it’s NA. Won’t go past 5 lbs of boost. I have checked all hoses and can find nothing obvious that would cause a boost leak. No codes and no misses. I even unplugged the Aux fuel and went back to the prior tune …. no difference.

This is normally a track dedicated car, so the steering wheel is aftermarket. So, I couldn’t have hit any cruise buttons wrong to put it in some sort of valet mode. I guess it’s possible that the snipped lines behind the wheel touched or were grounded, but that seems unlikely.

I did try unplugging the battery and reloading multiple tunes to no avail. The Accessport says I’m in “Map Slot 1,” but I don’t know if it would say that with Dizzy custom tunes or not? When I check which ECU is loaded, it says it’s the Dizzy tune.

I don’t know what else to try here.
Any codes?
That sounds disturbingly similar to what happened to me when I lost my turbo . . .

OP
cidsamuth
Thread Starter #4
No codes.

Just “around” 5 lbs. If I keep it under 3500 RPM, I won’t see but 3-4 lbs.

It’s a brand new turbo that I’ve only put 200 miles on …. God help me if it’s bad. I can still hear it whistling per normal; it is loud given the catless DP and MBRP exhaust. No smoke or anything.

I just checked the wastegate. At least at idle, the door is being held shut. If I disconnect the WG hose and tweak it with air, it will open

OP
cidsamuth
Thread Starter #5
I’m an idiot. Found the boost leak …. It was somewhat hidden …. Cold side had come off at the throttle body. On the lift, it was easy to miss from the underneath angle. The clamp literally backed out, which I have never seen before.

Anyway, I guess I got a lesson on how to test/diagnose a BOV and a WG 🥴

FJ16

Throttle body connection got me for a while too - it was going to be one of my first suggestions. Glad you got it working!

FiestaSTdude

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I’m an idiot. Found the boost leak …. It was somewhat hidden …. Cold side had come off at the throttle body. On the lift, it was easy to miss from the underneath angle. The clamp literally backed out, which I have never seen before.

Anyway, I guess I got a lesson on how to test/diagnose a BOV and a WG 🥴
Glad it was something easy!