Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Scraping rattling sound - I thought it was brakes but only does it when hot.

OP
Clint Beastwood

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #21
To close the loop, they replaced my axles for this - sound resolved! Unfortunately the seals now barf oil. I took it in and they’re swapping the seals again, though an hour seems suspiciously fast to swap them. I am not fighting, as if they weep again I will have the car replaced.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Mine only started this some miles after the dealer (needlessly) replaced the axles in a misguided attempt to address the DMF noise. Only does it on hard or full left turns. My assumption is a lip on the rotors scraping something. But there's also been some "shiftiness" in handling, plus the steering wheel "sinks" into a corner at full turn; instead of auto-centering. I'll be checking the ball joints and if no damage found, alignment. I'll let the DMF continue to progress and find a way to do it myself. Just wish I could acquire the expensive parts under warranty without having them do the work.

Getting away from shat like this is why purchased new. Lesson learned.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Mine were too. They were that way when it was new off the lot. Ford's supplier obviously used a metal composition that was heavy in iron and/or neglected to powder coat the part; if that's what they do. Looked ugly as hell and might even affect the seal on the CV boots to some degree. But there was no indication that they were bad or poorly balanced.

Ford Community Posts