Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

SITH Racing - Developing Upper Motor and Transmission Mount Set for FiST

Rhinopolis

Update - 200 miles on the new mounts and the vibes are down substantially. I drive the car so infrequently, and wanted to update so not to cast a negative light after my last update which highlighted how intrusive the vibes were. It's very livable at the level it is now, and if the vibes reduce even more then color me very impressed!

meFiSTo

^^^^ What RAAM said, the torque steer can be a real problem. I would be interested if these mounts reduce it or not.
I just got my car back and did some pulls in various situations on the way home. I only ever really noticed torque steer before the mounts when in the low gears asking for rapid acceleration. I'd get some even when not going fully WOT 1-2. Really, 2nd is the only relevant issue for my setup.

With the mounts: NO torque steer that I can tell whatsoever. WOT 1,2,3 and the car pulls dead straight, with a light touch on the wheel. That will be nice on corner exit from the Portland chicanes or out the hairpin heading into the back straight at Pacific Raceways.

There is a A LOT more vibration communicated into the cabin and the WOT sound is completely different. In 2nd, there is more or a deep guttural thrum coming from the exhaust compared to before, which was more of a conventional small-bore turbo engine roar. It reminded me a bit of what I've heard coming from STis on the street. But: I just picked the car up today from the shop.

Having said all that, I have the stock turbo with assorted mountune bolt-ons and a tune. That's it. My car is not a big HP car.

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Is there any online instructions? Lol. I installed mine and... Seems fine. But maybe I missed something by not reading the instructions.

Does anyone know what the torque settings are for the gearbox mount nuts and bolts? I'm just finishing mine but rather than just doing them as tight as possible I'd rather do them to what they should be to save me taking it all apart later down the line because I have a knock or something

Rhinopolis

Does anyone know what the torque settings are for the gearbox mount nuts and bolts? I'm just finishing mine but rather than just doing them as tight as possible I'd rather do them to what they should be to save me taking it all apart later down the line because I have a knock or something
From Rodmoe in a different thread about these mounts......

"OK just a heads up for those installing these motor mounts. The Directions say to torque to Ford Spec's when you are installing them.

Here are the Ford Spec's Torque settings from the Ford Service manual.

DRIVERS SIDE. (transmission mount) 2 Frame Bolts Tq 90 NM (65 ft lbs) 3 Transmission Nuts Tq 125 NM (92 ft lbs)

PASSENGER SIDE. (engine mount) 3 Frame Bolts Tq 80 NM (60 ft lbs) 3 Engine Nuts Tq 48 NM (35 ft lbs)

The Manual only gives Tq in Newton Meters so I converted to Ft lbs and rounded to the closest whole number up or down. So if you convert and get a little different number that's why."

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
So from people who bought them....what do you think? I have a Boomba RMM....I don't think it's bad like some people say it is....are all of you satisfied with your purchase? Anything you would change if you could?

meFiSTo

So from people who bought them....what do you think? I have a Boomba RMM....I don't think it's bad like some people say it is....are all of you satisfied with your purchase? Anything you would change if you could?
When I'm at the track on lapping day, I am glad I have these. When I'm picking up groceries from QFC, well, less so. Hah.

If you plan to corner exit at WOT in a closed-course setting, these are very nice additions. If you just plan to hoon a little around your local backroads, I would not recommend this product. Stick with the RMM and be done with it. Saves $$$ and reduces headaches.

If you do get these: Keep an eye on ANYTHING that might vibrate lose (including the motor mount bolts themselves). My race shop does a nut and bolt for me after every track weekend. This last visit (a couple weeks or so ago), they discovered that my BC Racing ride height securement locking rings had come loose. I think they were referring to the two upper rings that are secured against each other. Not sure, but I'd bet the added vibration from the stiff mounts contributed to them working loose. Anyway, I'm more wary than ever about stuff working loose.

Way back in 2005ish, I had a stock Ford Focus SVT mount snap mid-turn at Pacific Raceways. The mechanics speculated that one of the bolts was a little loose following an LSD/clutch/flywheel installation. That made me a little paranoid about nut and bolting the car. I replaced the upper mounts in that car with the VF Engineering mounts (I had the dogbone mount already). The effects were similar, but I also had a 6-point welded cage in that car so vibration was insane.

When I'm at the track on lapping day, I am glad I have these. When I'm picking up groceries from QFC, well, less so. Hah.

If you plan to corner exit at WOT in a closed-course setting, these are very nice additions. If you just plan to hoon a little around your local backroads, I would not recommend this product. Stick with the RMM and be done with it. Saves $$$ and reduces headaches.

If you do get these: Keep an eye on ANYTHING that might vibrate lose (including the motor mount bolts themselves). My race shop does a nut and bolt for me after every track weekend. This last visit (a couple weeks or so ago), they discovered that my BC Racing ride height securement locking rings had come loose. I think they were referring to the two upper rings that are secured against each other. Not sure, but I'd bet the added vibration from the stiff mounts contributed to them working loose. Anyway, I'm more wary than ever about stuff working loose.

Way back in 2005ish, I had a stock Ford Focus SVT mount snap mid-turn at Pacific Raceways. The mechanics speculated that one of the bolts was a little loose following an LSD/clutch/flywheel installation. That made me a little paranoid about nut and bolting the car. I replaced the upper mounts in that car with the VF Engineering mounts (I had the dogbone mount already). The effects were similar, but I also had a 6-point welded cage in that car so vibration was insane.

I think you are taking the vibs a bit to far. There is no way these mounts would make a nut in the suspension come loose. The suspension is completely isolated from the car frame...

Also we have never heard of a single mount bolt, on any car with TTR mounts, ever come loose if they were properly torqued to specification upon install.

Do these have increased vibs over stock? Yes. As if they didn't, they would be no more form than stock and they wouldn't stop your engine from flopping around.

Also agree if you are a sprinted typed driver, these are for you. If it is a commenters car, never putting the throttle down, no idea why you would be interested in performance parts. :)

meFiSTo

I think you are taking the vibs a bit to far. There is no way these mounts would make a nut in the suspension come loose. The suspension is completely isolated from the car frame...

Also we have never heard of a single mount bolt, on any car with TTR mounts, ever come loose if they were properly torqued to specification upon install.

Do these have increased vibs over stock? Yes. As if they didn't, they would be no more form than stock and they wouldn't stop your engine from flopping around.

Also agree if you are a sprinted typed driver, these are for you. If it is a commenters car, never putting the throttle down, no idea why you would be interested in performance parts. :)
Ah. Ok! Like I said: Paranoid about loose nuts and bolts.

I found my old video of the motor mount snapping at Pacific Raceways. It's grainy...taken before my HD Flip or iPod came along and before it was easy (for me) to upload big files to YT.

[video=youtube;29rrnIr8l_k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29rrnIr8l_k[/video]