Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Slotted rotors

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
You are lucky to be 'down under' where you can purchase the excellent DBA rotors offered for our rides for less than the big brake kit prices we would have to pay for them here in the states.

(It was close to $1K USD to get four of their rotors, by themselves here, last time I checked! [crazyeye])

OP
BLUESTAUSTRALIA
Thread Starter #3
You are lucky to be 'down under' where you can purchase the excellent DBA rotors offered for our rides for less than the big brake kit prices we would have to pay for them here in the states.

(It was close to $1K USD to get four of their rotors, by themselves here, last time I checked! [crazyeye])
How do they perform ?

Intuit

3000 Post Club
The slotting serves to shed weight, provide additional cooling (air flow) and as a side effect, could enhance friction. Unless they're heavier I see no reason why they shouldn't improve performance. Downside is less surface area in contact with the brake pad; less material to absorb heat which could be a factor in heat-soak.

Yeah they smoke'n something.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
The slotting serves to shed weight, provide additional cooling (air flow) and as a side effect, could enhance friction. Unless they're heavier I see no reason why they shouldn't improve performance. Downside is less surface area in contact with the brake pad; less material to absorb heat which could be a factor in heat-soak.

Yeah they smoke'n something.
my drilled/slotted ones make the weirdest whirring sound, only on the FiST though, never heard anything quite like it on another car.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
my drilled/slotted ones make the weirdest whirring sound, only on the FiST though, never heard anything quite like it on another car.
One of the coolest sounds in my opinion are the old manual shift transmissions ramping up in reverse.

Is it louder as the heat builds up in the rotor? I guess the rotor heats the air which expands in the slot and makes an explosive exit as the slot is exposed from beneath the pad. Like you said, probably the "perfect combination" in terms of shape of the slots versus pads. Many pads have one slot but I think that's to channel out water. Is that pad slotted?

View: https://youtu.be/0CcOR1gcU1s

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
it sounds like a tiny version of blowing across the top of a bottle, but like.... really fast back to back :p

happens when cold or hot. at some point ill buy a new action camera and record it. My gopro ticked me off at the wrong moment so I threw it in the ocean lol

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
My Whoosh bbk does the same.
thank you! I posted about it once before and everyone said it was abnormal so I've been worrying about it on and off. I really think I just accidentally stumbled on the exact combination of parts to do something weird :p my luck works like that

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
EBC* Ultimax Slotted rotors with EBC Blue NDX pads* great stock setup IMO.

Last edited:
My Powerstops with Hawk 5.0 sound like Cicadas in summer even with the slightest tap. Once it's time for a refresh going back to blanks.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I am sure they are great, and if DBA does not butcher you with price there, I would get them.

But I was not going to pay that to get them here, so I just went with the Whoosh Motorsport 'j-hook' slotted rotors and will most likely go with the Motorcraft 'summer tire' pads when I install them.

I am still on the full factory setup currently, and was just bringing up the DBAs as a possible choice for you because of their rep, and where you are they could be substantially less coin. [wink]

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
The slots also provide a place for the out-gassing from the pads to go when in contact with the rotor, and may help with the initial hit in very heavy rain since they channel the water away from the rotor face.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I just hit 40,000 and the stock brakes are still good to go.
I am at almost 44K miles on the factory binders, and still do not have any metal to metal contact yet, but it is getting close.

I really have to step up finding a place to do my brake/clutch fluid flush and brake replacement, but there is no one I trust in my area. [:(]

Intuit

3000 Post Club
I really have to step up finding a place to do my brake/clutch fluid flush and brake replacement, but there is no one I trust in my area. [:(]
What, did you piss the HOA off enough for them to follow you from PA?

My gopro ticked me off at the wrong moment so I threw it in the ocean lol
Go PRO Go SWIM ? 😂 OceanGate might be willing to lend a sub so you can go down and fetch it. Just make sure they're aren't pricing their one way ticket.