Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Some X-37 and C39 questions and emissions

I really only have 1 question before buying my X37 kit from pumaspeed. I saw a post that Adam from tune plus commented on about needing a better actuator since they couldn't achieve the boost they wanted. My question is there is a scroll tab on puma for and upgraded actuator, is that enough or should I not select that and get the tune+ actuator? Also to finish my kit I need an intercooler I love the price point of the R sport pro. Anyone have feedback on that product?

My last question is im from CT and we have emissions. Cars obd2 just get scanned for readiness monitors, I guess this is a tuner question maybe even for Adam or someone that has emissions and a turbo upgrade. Can the tune trick readiness monitors to be "ready" for instance catalyst and what not

frankiefiesta

1000 Post Club
People have used the x37 without an upgraded actuator.

An upgraded one is not a bad idea, it will help. You do not need a "tune+" actuator.. it's a custom rebranded turbosmart wastegate.

The r sport intercooler is ok.. I've only seen one state side. Looked similar to a Cobb intercooler. I would look into Cobb, ATP, cpe, depo, MTC intercoolers though as they are proven.

Also consider the C39 turbo available either through DHM or through sourskittle

OP
M
Thread Starter #3
People have used the x37 without an upgraded actuator.

An upgraded one is not a bad idea, it will help. You do not need a "tune+" actuator.. it's a custom rebranded turbosmart wastegate.

The r sport intercooler is ok.. I've only seen one state side. Looked similar to a Cobb intercooler. I would look into Cobb, ATP, cpe, depo, MTC intercoolers though as they are proven.

Also consider the C39 turbo available either through DHM or through sourskittle
Gotcha, thank you! My other worry is emissions in my state.

I have the x37 with the supplied actuator. sees 22pds boost thereabouts on 91, 26 on e30. 220hp 91, e30 255hp. when outside temps get up around 85 plus my mountune ic is not good enough. when I left conn a long time ago they used a sniffer, I bet e30 would have passed. alas nothing is the same there now, lol. bob

Based on my experience, I'd be wary of buying an X-37.

Mine works well, and my AP3 I/M sensors read "ready," BUT I just spent $450 having a coolant leak from the lower crush washer in the center housing fixed. There was a defect in the housing (a dip) which prevented the crush washer from sealing. This only became apparent a couple of weeks after the initial install. We had to source new bolts which could be torqued sufficiently to seat the washer. Fortunately this worked as the next step would have been to try to plane the area flat or replace the housing.

Someone else reported the same problem in the x-37 thread.

So it works well, they have some QC problems, and they are in England. Just a heads up.

OP
M
Thread Starter #7
yea I really do want to go with deadhook but to be honest with you after emailing a few times with no response I'm annoyed. Don't want to be etuning and not have a drivable car for a day because I cant get in touch with them.

yea I really do want to go with deadhook but to be honest with you after emailing a few times with no response I'm annoyed. Don't want to be etuning and not have a drivable car for a day because I cant get in touch with them.
When did you Contact them? Based on X-37 from England and Cyborg from Florida both will take some time. As far as not driving that should not happen. Russ uploaded a based tune and I was fine for a week while waiting for dyno time. I know he posted many times he is on vacation thru Sunday.

OP
M
Thread Starter #9
When did you Contact them? Based on X-37 from England and Cyborg from Florida both will take some time. As far as not driving that should not happen. Russ uploaded a based tune and I was fine for a week while waiting for dyno time. I know he posted many times he is on vacation thru Sunday.
gotcha! now I feel bad haha. 1 was the other day and the time before that was a month or so ago. Yea I was in contact with puma he was responsive but then stopped, tune+ hasn't responded to me via email or PM. I wanted a quickspool kit and was like ready to pull the trigger and went on to look and it was gone and replaced with the C-39. So I do want to buy that ASAP so I guess ill just buy it and go from there.

WeTheNorth

1000 Post Club
Idk how anyone can spend 450$ to fix the crush issue... all we did for mine was use the washers off the k39. Simple!

I wouldn't go jumping on the c39... it's a hype imo, x37 is proven, I myself can attest to the turbo! Don't be hastey

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rhinopolis

I've been on the X37 since June and I love it. The upgraded WGA holds boost better and makes sure that it isn't released too soon and so that you can make more power throughout your rev range. I suggest getting it.

frankiefiesta

1000 Post Club
Idk how anyone can spend 450$ to fix the crush issue... all we did for mine was use the washers off the k39. Simple!

I wouldn't go jumping on the c39... it's a hype imo, x37 is proven, I myself can attest to the turbo! Don't be hastey

You're my boy but don't go calling hype because of one race! I don't trust it..

They're literally the same turbo with different compressor wheels!

WeTheNorth

1000 Post Club
You're my boy but don't go calling hype because of one race! I don't trust it..

They're literally the same turbo with different compressor wheels!
We're boys[emoji1420] but the bigger compressor wheel doesn't always equate to a better setup:) spool maybe effected.

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
We're boys[emoji1420] but the bigger compressor wheel doesn't always equate to a better setup:) spool maybe effected.

Sounds like you know something we don't.

Some Guy On The Internet

WeTheNorth

1000 Post Club
Sounds like you know something we don't.

Some Guy On The Internet
What does that mean some guy on the internet lol and yeah I do know something. Something I would have shared with you but since you're a dick [emoji23][emoji23]

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
What does that mean some guy on the internet lol and yeah I do know something. Something I would have shared with you but since you're a dick [emoji23][emoji23]

I love being a dick. Because I'm just...

Some Guy On The Internet

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
A few X-37 questions and emissions

The coolant leaks are due to the X37 using a China cast bearing housing ( you know... those turbos on EBay that at $279 shipped? Yea.. that. ).

I've posted pic proof of this...

That being said... I can build an X37 for the same price as a Cyborg39. We use an actual OEM borg-Warner/ford bearing housing. We use an upgraded thrust bearing ( stock is 360 degree, but we upgrade it further ).

So if some wanted a smaller, less efficient compressor wheel, they could have that as well. If you want the smaller, more restrictive inlet, you'd have to order that from pumaspeed directly or buy one of our better ones for $150.

This was posted for future readers, not the original poster :)