Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Speaker upgrade info needed!

I'm looking into upgrading these shitty stock speakers we have. My 2 questions are: 1) can the stock headunit handle better speakers? 2) Any recommendations for speakers that actually have some bass?

I'm looking into speakers that cost less than $200 a pair. Any opinions/thoughts/advice for someone who barely knows anything about audio but just wants more bass without buying a new headunit or processors or any of that added stuff.

Thanks!

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I'm looking into upgrading these shitty stock speakers we have. My 2 questions are: 1) can the stock headunit handle better speakers? 2) Any recommendations for speakers that actually have some bass?

I'm looking into speakers that cost less than $200 a pair. Any opinions/thoughts/advice for someone who barely knows anything about audio but just wants more bass without buying a new headunit or processors or any of that added stuff.

Thanks!
Call crutchfield.....[thumb]

I just recently replaced all 6 speakers with those same Kickers. While the sound is better, the bass is basically the same. I would guess that the system needs more power than speaker. An amp is the better way to go IMO. At least that's what is on the list next.

OP
Typical Tom
Thread Starter #7
I just recently replaced all 6 speakers with those same Kickers. While the sound is better, the bass is basically the same. I would guess that the system needs more power than speaker. An amp is the better way to go IMO. At least that's what is on the list next.
That's the unfortunate news I was hoping not to hear :(

Last I saw, Crutchfield had done no homework on the '16 Fist and had no recommendations.

antarctica24

Thanks!
Ive written several articles on this forum about this which may be useful. For the money you are looking to spend, the Pioneer TS line is your best bet. The 6 3/4 midrange will fit in the door with a tiny bit of modification. There is no tuning in the radio. All of that is taking place outside of the radio in a separate box. I was able to replace the factory radio with an alpine unit but at great expense. You have to remember when you replace the speakers, the tuning that was done from Sony on the car, will be now be different. I cannot comment on better or worse, because I am replacing the whole thing, but I can tell you that just because some guys on here will tell you it sounds better, I would question that. More than likely it sounds louder because of the design of the passive crossover. If you want to add some bass, JL Audio makes a couple of boxes that will slip right under the rear lid and you could add a small Alpine, or Rockford AMP that would power it for not a lot of money. JL Audio Fix82 is the best way to get out of the factory unit into an aftermarket amp setup, but to do it right you really need to retune it, and you need a processor for that. Precisions Power 88R cheapest one available for under $200.00 available on Ebay.

My cheap setup is JBL GTO608C components in the front and a Rockford Fosgate PS-8 under the false floor in the back. I'm no audiophile, but the JBL's sound good just running off the stock head unit and the 8" sub fills plenty of low end without taking up much space. There may be a newer version of the JBLs by now, but I know this model is a direct fit.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0024JARH6/

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Y3WKUX8/

I used Kickers (two way) front and rear, low rent ones. Think I paid $59 or $69/pair. Crutchfield has the new version of them for $69 (Kicker 40CS654) Amazon has them for $49. I did hook up a kicker amp to them not bothering to hear them without one. The low end tones and more prevalent, but not hard hitting like a subwoofer does. Which I also added. They do sound world's better than stock though. Much fuller sounding system.

Waterfan

I used Kickers (two way) front and rear, low rent ones. Think I paid $59 or $69/pair. Crutchfield has the new version of them for $69 (Kicker 40CS654) Amazon has them for $49. I did hook up a kicker amp to them not bothering to hear them without one. The low end tones and more prevalent, but not hard hitting like a subwoofer does. Which I also added. They do sound world's better than stock though. Much fuller sounding system.
Moreso because of the added power, not the speakers themselves. More clean power into the stock speakers would probably sound better as well.

i.e. IMO, it is unlikely "aftermarket speakers only" will improve the sound. Unless that aftermarket speaker is an adequately-powered, addon subwoofer.

Moreso because of the added power, not the speakers themselves. More clean power into the stock speakers would probably sound better as well.

i.e. IMO, it is unlikely "aftermarket speakers only" will improve the sound. Unless that aftermarket speaker is an adequately-powered, addon subwoofer.
can the stock speakers handle an aftermarket amp? I have one collecting dust in my garage, might be a good spring project...

Waterfan

can the stock speakers handle an aftermarket amp? I have one collecting dust in my garage, might be a good spring project...
Any speaker gets better with more/cleaner power (and/or cleaner signal). How much better is the only question. Add the amp and configure as normal:
1. Start with the amp gains at minimum.
2. Set head unit volume to max.
3. Play test track(s), turn up gains until you hear any distortion, then back off gains slightly.

OP
Typical Tom
Thread Starter #15
Hmmmm I do have an amp I could get my hands on. I had 2 10" subs in my WRX for the last 5.5 years. I just want SOME bass back. I want to give my ears a break from subwoofers.

OP
Typical Tom
Thread Starter #16
Just read a long write up last night from a guy who has been in audio contests in the 90's. He was talking about how our stock system has been tuned specifically for the car's layout and equipment. Adding speakers and/or an amp would throw that off.

Not sure if the untrained ear would pickup on it though. Considering he gave the sound system a 2 out of 10 might say a lot about how in tune and picky he is. I agree the speakers suck but I'd probably give them around a 5 or a 6.

antarctica24

Just read a long write up last night from a guy who has been in audio contests in the 90's. He was talking about how our stock system has been tuned specifically for the car's layout and equipment. Adding speakers and/or an amp would throw that off.

Not sure if the untrained ear would pickup on it though. Considering he gave the sound system a 2 out of 10 might say a lot about how in tune and picky he is. I agree the speakers suck but I'd probably give them around a 5 or a 6.
Tom, LMAO. Its Bryan, and I am a little picky but more so enjoy accurate. It is really difficult to discern the difference between what is accurate and what sounds good to your ear. Music and musical taste is a very subjective thing then you have to deal with everyone's ears are different, or are they? When judging judges all comment on different cars, but its funny when we all hear a car that sounds right, we all agree. Removing the aspect that someone actually has something wrong with their hearing, When judging audio systems in various cars, each one is tuned to the listeners preferences, then you have the acoustics of the car to deal with. And then you have to deal with not only spectral balance, but staging, right?

When I rate the factory system a 2 out of 10, let me put that in perspective. Let's say the Fiesta ST factory sound system is the only system you have ever heard. That would make the Fiesta system a 10 out of 10. But you have to remove personal preference from the equation. Not what you like, but what sounds correct. How do I know what sounds correct? over 25 years in the industry. Lets start with the factory system, its the only system you have ever heard. Sounds great. 10 out of 10. Now, you by change get to listen to the sound system in a Cadillac CTS-V. There is a factory sub. Now you change your opinion, The Cadillac is a 10 out of 10, but the Fiesta is now a 5 out of 10. So you think if I just add a sub to my Fiesta system, then it will be a 10 out of 10. So you add the sub, and indeed it sounds better than it did but now you have more bass than highs and mids and because you wanted the sub loud you crossed it over around 85-100htz and its mounted in the trunk. So now what you have done is not only added subbass, but added midbass to the rear of the car, and male vocals play in that range. So now the imaging is messed up.

I could go on for days.

The reality is, a perfectly balanced system tonally, and a car that images withing 95% of the original recording is a 10 out of 10. It can be done for around $2500.00 or less. You need components, you need a sub, you need external amp, and you need a signal processor.

So you say, Ford did all that so why is the factory system not a 10 out of 10.

They started with lessor quality speakers. The DSP chip they are using in their processor was probably $10.00 so the clocking is not the best it could be. The DAC in the head unit is not very good and the amp is integrated. Yes they tuned it for the car, but the low quality parts they started with, meant they had to go further in the tuning to get it to where it is, which means they added material that is not in the original recording. Meaning they had to raise EQ points above 0, to balance it out, and the factory system is missing all kinds of midbass and subbass information.

Those who add aftermarket speakers and dont retune, or add an amp, they are simply compounding the problem that was only there. And they say it sounds better, because the speakers they installed are more efficient than the factory ones, and thus is sounds louder or brighter. Louder and brighter are not better, and adding a sub to an untuned system just adds low frequency information. It is not better.

Until you have had a real tuned aftermarket system, there is no way to compare and once you have everything else sounds bad.

Once last comment, Adding a set of Focal speakers or any aftermarket speaker to replace the factory speakers in this car without retuning would be like adding chocolate topping to peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Anyone who would disagree or try and argue about this, just has never experienced great sounding audio.

Antarctica24 makes some very valid points. I do not disagree with any of it.

What I do know (If I may compare two different types of oranges). The stock system (6 disc in dash changer - 4 5x7 two ways) in my '04 Ranger Edge sounded FAR better than the stock system in my '14 FiST. It's like listening an HD FM signal and suddenly it changes to old school AM radio.

My previous post I forgot to mention that I also added a LC7 sound processor as well, so that could help with the clarity.

I did read many different things on this forum about how the 3rd party testing of the system in the Fiesta ST shows that it is better than people think it is. All I know is that I don't bang my head to numbers and graphs. [rockon] [?|] [rockon]

antarctica24

Antarctica24 makes some very valid points. I do not disagree with any of it.

What I do know (If I may compare two different types of oranges). The stock system (6 disc in dash changer - 4 5x7 two ways) in my '04 Ranger Edge sounded FAR better than the stock system in my '14 FiST. It's like listening an HD FM signal and suddenly it changes to old school AM radio.

My previous post I forgot to mention that I also added a LC7 sound processor as well, so that could help with the clarity.

I did read many different things on this forum about how the 3rd party testing of the system in the Fiesta ST shows that it is better than people think it is. All I know is that I don't bang my head to numbers and graphs. [rockon] [?|] [rockon]
You could say better is relative right? Im certain regarding factory systems it is not the bottom of the food chain. But regarding tuned aftermarket systems it is way down on the bottom of the list. I posted some time back the actual curve produced by the factory sound system and it was all over the place. It is really difficult to put what I am saying into perspective if you have not ever been exposed to good audio reproduction. While there are some that go a little overboard on the whole audio reproduction thing, again its all relative. I dont have my CD player at home anchored down to a 4" wood block to help reduce the vibration created by the rotation of the planet. YES there are people like that, I am not one of those people. :) Were not there. We are somewhere between way below there and a factory system.

Let me say this. When its right. When its balanced. Everything falls into place both spectral and imaging and staging. It becomes an emotional experience. Imagine being in your car. Jimi Hendrix is playing a solo, except, he is standing on the hood of your car. Or you are listening to the Holly Cole Trio, I can see Clearly Now, and She is in the center of the hood, and the stand up bass is to the right in front of the passenger seat straight up through the roof. That is where we are trying to get. With impact that all of the instruments are coming at you. Not just the bass.

Woods247

2000 Post Club
I want that Jimmy experience. Please tell me what to buy for my car: