Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Squeaky Coilover

I squared off about a 6” piece of 2x4 and drilled a 3/4” hole with my Milwaukee bimetallic hole saw after running a pilot hole through with a drilling block to ensure a straight hole. I’m about to attach this piece to the underside of the wheel well and drill through the wood and attach it with wood screws and washers to the two mounting holes. The trick will be centering the block on the existing hole but I’m going to find a something that just fits through the existing hole to center it.

image.jpg

jeffreylyon

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I squared off about a 6” piece of 2x4 and drilled a 3/4” hole with my Milwaukee bimetallic hole saw after running a pilot hole through with a drilling block to ensure a straight hole. I’m about to attach this piece to the underside of the wheel well and drill through the wood and attach it with wood screws and washers to the two mounting holes. The trick will be centering the block on the existing hole but I’m going to find a something that just fits through the existing hole to center it.

View attachment 55294
Way, way easier to just use a stepper bit.

I know but a 9/16 socket fits tight in the three-quarter inch hole and I’m gonna suspend the block in place while a short extension piece holds the socket thereby holding the block centered on the hole. Then I’ll secure it in place with wood screws with washers to prevent them from falling through the suspension mounting holes. I don’t have a step bit and already invested quite a bit of time into making this setup so I’ve got to give it a go and see no reason it shouldn’t work.

Well, after several attempts to get my block of wood centered on the hole, I gave up and ordered a stepped bit from Amazon to be delivered tomorrow. It was worth a try, but after finding the mounting holes I traced from the strut mount positioned the hole I drilled to be off center, I was getting frustrated and didn't want to carry that frustration into making a big mistake. Thanks for the advice, but with every hardware store having closed, I figured I might as well at least try to come up with a solution.

Since I kinda F’d up the drivers side with my hole saw, I just drove the stepped bit in deeper to make a bigger hole. I know the ST struts didn’t need much more room, but I also have another set of coil overs with a much larger nut on top.

IMG_2104.jpeg