Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

stock bottom end hp

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
SS is a lazy bastard indeed;)

Nice work as always, love seeing you take the little turbo to a higher and higher ground:)

-------------------

As for cams, they sound sexy to talk about I have to admit but with the power one can get with them NA they would not be that great a value, with a turbo upgrade it is easy to get to power levels where they are pointless.

If they could help a stock or small turbo upgrade work better in some sort of real world situation, RMPs we actually use most of the time, or for those few going all out nuts on engine builds, big turbos, etc....they might make sense.

At least half, likely far more, of the parts made for these cars are to make money, really not needed, cams seem like one of those to me but I will gladly change my mind if somebody can prove otherwise for at least more than a few owners needs.

About cams: four valve per cylinder engines usually use tiny duration cams compared to an OHV two valve per cylinder V8. It works because the two valves flow much better at low lift than a single bigger valve.

Ford went from a 205 HP 5.0 to a 305 HP 32 valve 4.6 between the 1995 Mustang GT and the 1996 Mustang Cobra. Guess which one had shorter duration cams? Guess which one made better high rpm power? (hint, its the Cobra)

Later the best 4 valve 4.6 grew to a 5.0 and gained another 100 HP with about 50 of those due to Ti-VCT and bigger cams. The Ti-VCT let's the engine phase the cams for smog at light throttle and power when you floor it.

Our engine already has TiVCT and pretty big cams. The turbo just makes the engine need big cams even less.

I just read that the Coyote 5.0 has 260° duration cams, about 40° more than the biggest cam you can put in an OHV 5.0 without flunking a smog check.

I don't know the 1.6 EcoBoost duration but I bet it is similar to Coyote.

What does a Piper cam do beside stress the valvetrain and require a retune and maybe cam phaser limiters?

No, thank you.

I'm pretty sure quite a few people have hit 250fwhp on the stock turbo by now. It just depends on what dyno you've used and how happy it is that day. Remember you have heart breakers and ground breakers of all sort of design.

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
I'm pretty sure quite a few people have hit 250fwhp on the stock turbo by now. It just depends on what dyno you've used and how happy it is that day. Remember you have heart breakers and ground breakers of all sort of design.
Who?

dyn085

2000 Post Club
I doubt that even one person has hit 250 whp with the stock turbo in any configuration.

"fwhp" fly wheel horse power, or in other words a bogus correction factor to make the power seem higher.

When you have a bogus correction factor instead of an easy to compare directly measured wheel horse power, you have to question the whole test because their are legitimate correction factors that unscrupulous people will mess with to do the same thing.

Meanwhile, the best legitimate stock turbo dyno charts are from cars on ethanol mix tunes with upgraded intercoolers and some other bolt-ons and they can't get close to 250 whp.

At the same time, why does it matter what number you hit on a machine when the car drives fucking amazing after your done with it all.

You need to look at the gains not actual numbers every dyno reads diff I have to the best of my knowledge the hoghest stock turbo numbers with logs and data to prove I hit 220whp with 93 and meth which is 50flbs and 12 hp over the ots stage 3 map from Cobb

A properly calibrated dynamometer should read within a few percent of any other properly calibrated dynamometer of the same type.

Different types load the car differently, and will give slightly different results, kind of like the way that a big turbo car will spool quicker in fourth gear than third.

There is no reasonable explanation for finding 30 extra horse power with our tiny turbo.

lessard.dcj

1000 Post Club
if you want 250+ just go bigger turbo. lets say some magic spell gets your stock turbo to 250 whp, it will be there for a VERY short RPM range and your turbo is not likely to have long life. A Cyborg will do it and the cost is better than anything out there right now. want bigger numbers get a bigger turbo.

No one goes out and buys the smallest work horse and says "how much shit can we pile on him untill he breaks". go buy a bigger horse. FYI the horse is the turbo. .02c