Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

stock bottom end hp

TheStig

if you want 250+ just go bigger turbo. lets say some magic spell gets your stock turbo to 250 whp, it will be there for a VERY short RPM range and your turbo is not likely to have long life. A Cyborg will do it and the cost is better than anything out there right now. want bigger numbers get a bigger turbo.

No one goes out and buys the smallest work horse and says "how much shit can we pile on him untill he breaks". go buy a bigger horse. FYI the horse is the turbo. .02c
Well... exceptions to every rule

[hihi]

rallytaff

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Sensible mods.

dont forget about 2J racing and Panda Motorsports. also very good companys
I wanted to keep the car as stock as possible without going overboard on costs and equipment. Cobb cat downpipe and catback exhaust and larger intercooler and a slight but very clever tweak by Raffi of FSWerks fame on the AccessPort. Just for giggles, we put it on the dyno afterwards and saw 190hp and 271 lbs/ft of torque, equating to roughly 218 hp at the crank and 330 lbs/ft. Quite impressive figures without going with a bigger turbo. I want reliability and I have more than enough power for quick bursts on the go pedal without even having to change down from 6th. No peak power, just raw power through all the gears and then some.

Now have Pirelli P Zero-Nero's and H & R coilovers for a slightly smoother ride. Last mod is new matt black wheels from Braid to complete the package.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
This has all been well documented but in the end if you are happy with the results then that is great for you:)

But, that quick burst of torque is a bit misleading as not really that useful in many situations, the big numbers sound great but with the odd powerband of the stock turbo not nearly as cool as it seems:(

-------------

You should downshift in higher gears to pass, I forget where covered here, all that torque against a tall gear and traction can bend rods, etc.

-------------

A bigger turbo even if it only shows another 40HP or so and less torque spread over a wider rev range will be the quicker car and much more fun to drive.

-------------

Sadly Ford picked a pretty crappy turbo for the car, just to small, the Cyborg is the best lower cost way to make the car more fun, I had the first one, now big turbo, going back down to mid turbo next which will be just right.

Rick

rallytaff

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
This has all been well documented but in the end if you are happy with the results then that is great for you:)

But, that quick burst of torque is a bit misleading as not really that useful in many situations, the big numbers sound great but with the odd powerband of the stock turbo not nearly as cool as it seems:(

-------------

You should downshift in higher gears to pass, I forget where covered here, all that torque against a tall gear and traction can bend rods, etc.

-------------

A bigger turbo even if it only shows another 40HP or so and less torque spread over a wider rev range will be the quicker car and much more fun to drive.

-------------

Sadly Ford picked a pretty crappy turbo for the car, just to small, the Cyborg is the best lower cost way to make the car more fun, I had the first one, now big turbo, going back down to mid turbo next which will be just right.

Rick
The car is set up for torque throughout the power band. It comes into play in 6th gear when I'm overtaking and well above the legal limit, so I'm not that bothered. If there isn't much room to change lanes, then I will change down for the extra acceleration, but with the traffic being spread out, no need.

I don't need a quicker car, this one is fast enough. I have all the power I need to make it a really fun car. Don't believe it, anyone can contact me for a drive!

With just a tune and panel filter, I find myself having to limit myself to part throttle initially due to wheel spin, then once past that torque peak I can get in it but too soon it falls on its face.

I also broke a motor mount due to that torque.

I hope that my incoming DHM quick spool kit tames the torque a little bit and extends the power band at the same time. I'm thinking about replacing the stock tune torque limiting in first and second to reduce tire spin and motor mount breakage.

The reports I see show the turbo spooling pretty well at 3,000 rpm with initial boost showing up lower, that seems perfect for freeway passing manouvers. I also hear about big turbos generating less boost at highway speeds and giving better gas mileage, I hope I can pop on my cruise control and get that too.

rallytaff

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Have only chirped the tyres once and I feed in the power in gradually but quickly, therefore no spinning tyres! Rolling in first then floor it in 2nd and every other gear after that and just hold on!

By the way, all these guys who are giving us these allegedly high hp gains, is it just for bragging rights or do you drag race, circuit racing or anything else? Can't see the point in spending money that's not needed when you can have as much fun for way less. All my upgrades are less than $4,000 which includes labour and I couldn't be happier. At least I have a fast car and more than likely, a very reliable one too.

Have only chirped the tyres once and I feed in the power in gradually but quickly, therefore no spinning tyres! Rolling in first then floor it in 2nd and every other gear after that and just hold on!

By the way, all these guys who are giving us these allegedly high hp gains, is it just for bragging rights or do you drag race, circuit racing or anything else? Can't see the point in spending money that's not needed when you can have as much fun for way less. All my upgrades are less than $4,000 which includes labour and I couldn't be happier. At least I have a fast car and more than likely, a very reliable one too.
Whatever makes you happy, sweetie...

twolf

For $500 more you could have much more (and way more usable) power that would stress the engine a lot less.

But I mean, if you want to waste $4000 stressing the tiny stock turbo to its breaking point, running it way outside of its efficiency range, go for it.

rallytaff

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thanks for your input, but I'm more than happy with the way it performs. Any more and it's just wasted!

The way our engine makes torque is by filling the cylinder with lots of air and fuel at high pressure which generates very high cylinder pressures and thus torque. After a certain RPM the turbo can no longer flow enough air so instead of a flat torque curve we have a low RPM torque peak and it falls off after that.

High cylinder pressures are what bends rods. A big turbo car with a good tune that doesn't lean out is potentially more reliable than a stock turbo car with a tune.

As for how I drive it and if the extra power is useable, you lose some power between about 1,500 and 3,000 RPM but you extend the use able power from about 5,500 RPM to about 7,000 RPM. That's the difference between a car that feels quick and a car that is legitimately fast. When I am driving fast, I rarely let the RPM drop below 3,000 and I will wind it out to 7,000 so it will be faster for me and I like that on the street, the highway, back roads and the track.

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran

Pot, meet kettle.

rallytaff

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I totally agree with your last para. That's the way I enjoy driving. Most of my fun comes from driving it where it's safe without any watchful eyes.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
You may of missed the main point in my post.

If you keep it in 6th gear to pass you might need to monitor the boost pressure, high boost, high gear, you can bend a rod, just the way it is.

Big turbo on my car, 600+ lbs of doggies, groceries and us in the car, passed a car like they were sitting still today and only hit 8 PSI no worries about the rods;)

-----------

I love these cars and what they can do but the dang stock turbo was a very poor choice by Ford. They could of saved us all a lot of time and money by using a big bigger turbo which would be tuned of course, they know that, and likely less likely to implode or bend a rod instead of a tiny one over worked making too much boost early on and not enough flow later in the rev range.

---------

I am glad you are happy with your cars power, etc...really I am, just be careful how you use it.

Rick

At the same time, why does it matter what number you hit on a machine when the car drives fucking amazing after your done with it all.
^^^^^^^ Yup yup. Thats how I felt once i was done with my 2007 VQ35HR build in My G35S sedan, yes sedan with 6 speed. I went from HFC, to resonated test pipes, to PPE longtube headers with Uprev tune and bigger injectors. All the internet power guys said I wasted my money. I also did Stillen lighweight underdrive pulley and Z1 motorspots lightqeight flywheel that was also " no power" parts. Either way A LOT of 350/370Z enjoyed seeing and hearing my lil rocket