Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

stock bottom end hp

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
You are most welcome:)

I forgot to note that we get at least 38MPG on the road loaded up with that weight and just a few weeks ago hit 41.5MPG with just my wife driving the car so 130lbs instead of 600+ when we are all in it from CA to AZ following me at 58-60 MPH in the RV.

The big turbo, when not hooning around, better mileage than stock:)

Maybe I'm hard to please but on the stock turbo with a tune, going through the gears I get to 4,000 RPM and think "there should be more". That's certainly an unrealistic expectation for a near stock 1.6l engine but that low end torque peak makes it feel like its going to have massive power and then suddenly it doesn't.

This is my first turbo car so I'm expecting a NA style torque curve which means relatively flat peaking somewhere over 4,000 rpm.

The plus side of the stock turbo is almost zero lag.

I would rather get a little lag with a traditional torque curve and that means it will have big power at high RPM. If I get that "there should be more" feeling again, bigger turbos will bolt right up.

rallytaff

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
You are most welcome:)

I forgot to note that we get at least 38MPG on the road loaded up with that weight and just a few weeks ago hit 41.5MPG with just my wife driving the car so 130lbs instead of 600+ when we are all in it from CA to AZ following me at 58-60 MPH in the RV.

The big turbo, when not hooning around, better mileage than stock:)
The best I've seen is 35mpg when I went to the Miller Motorsports Park in Utah. Normally just above 27 in LA and the freeways. Maybe it's the way I drive??????????????

rallytaff

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Maybe I'm hard to please but on the stock turbo with a tune, going through the gears I get to 4,000 RPM and think "there should be more". That's certainly an unrealistic expectation for a near stock 1.6l engine but that low end torque peak makes it feel like its going to have massive power and then suddenly it doesn't.

This is my first turbo car so I'm expecting a NA style torque curve which means relatively flat peaking somewhere over 4,000 rpm.

The plus side of the stock turbo is almost zero lag.

I would rather get a little lag with a traditional torque curve and that means it will have big power at high RPM. If I get that "there should be more" feeling again, bigger turbos will bolt right up.
It's also my first turbo car and I'm in my late 60's! I love the fact that there's zero lag in the turbo, but I'm getting all the power and acceleration I need in EVERY gear and it just keeps on pulling up to triple digits and then I have to back off! Forget 1st gear, get it into 2nd and you're gone! Accelerating up ANY gradient on the freeway in 6th and the engine wants more! I'm more than willing to let another ST owner drive my car for their observations.

Around here, I'm always seeing Ferraris, Teslas, BMW M cars, Porsche, Mazerati, AMG Mercedes, Jaguar and Corvettes, not to mention the Mustangs, Camaros, Evos and WRX STIs. On rare occasion there is even a McLaren, Lamborghini or Fisker Karma.

It is unfortunate but I can't take many of those on a roll.

A few months ago I was on the freeway and had a chance to admire a Ferrari 458. The driver saw me doing that and dropped the hammer. My spirit was willing, the Fiesta was weak, I got walked. It probably was not as bad as the Ferrari driver was expecting but next time I would like to hang with them (in a car that costs less than a brake service and a set of tires for them), a big turbo should let me do that.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
That is the true fun, modding a little car and taking on others that are not expecting it, the more costly the car the usually more arrogant and most often less skilled the driver the more fun it is. I have purposely built my car to do such things, on track, on occasion I have to admit it is tempting at other times;)

It has far more power than I really need except to hang with some pretty intense cars on longer straights on track, if not for that the Cyborg would of been more than enough for my needs and fun level. When I had the first one tuned to just 220WHP I was 5 seconds faster around the MMP outer loop, one of the fastest and thus HP tracks in the US than the national champ Spec Miata record and 4 seconds slower than a newly built and very costly Caymen R full race car, with the current approx 300WHP and soon 325 or more......I would like to drive that track again;)

I gave a ride to a C6 Vette and a newer Porsche owner recently and they were blown away by my cars power, handling and brakes and it was just a short ride and not all out. I also gave a ride to my business manager/partner than owns several modded and fast big bore sport bikes, damp roads, not enough grip even in 4th, he was shocked at how quick the car is even in that condition(where a bike can bight you in the arse instantly if not very careful especially, I know, I've been through a bus stop at 70MPH, not fun)

------------

rallytaff,
Welcome to the higher up the hill gang of FiST owners, over the hill is when we die in my opinion and how I live my life, in a few months I will be 64, not long after 65 and looking forward to it:) I retired at 60 but sometimes think of starting a new business, like the last one for fun and independence but in a different field to make it more interesting.

We were at Lake Elsinore for 6 days or so a few weeks ago, it would of been great to meet up with our SoCal brothers, and any sisters of course, just rained all the time. Not sure when we will be in the area again but will post it up and gladly meet up, share rides, etc....at an event would be even better, autocross, track day, just a meet....I used to arrange car audio meets and competitions years ago in the San Diego area, great fun.

35MPG is the factory rating so not bad considering driving it like it was meant to be used and if you are happy with the power then great, enjoy it as you are of course:):):)

Have a great weekend!
Rick

twolf

Accelerating up ANY gradient on the freeway in 6th and the engine wants more! I'm more than willing to let another ST owner drive my car for their observations.
I'd just like to point out (as someone already did) that this isn't a good idea.

frankiefiesta

1000 Post Club
I'd just like to point out (as someone already did) that this isn't a good idea.
I was going to say something but it's not worth it any more lol some are stubborn and won't listen. I used to be uniformed and then reading an older thread where dyn and someone else explain to a guy why it's a bad idea I changed my habits.

twolf

I was going to say something but it's not worth it any more lol some are stubborn and won't listen. I used to be uniformed and then reading an older thread where dyn and someone else explain to a guy why it's a bad idea I changed my habits.
I think whenever I see people post about engine failures I'm going to start looking through their post history and look for all of the posts bragging about how much passing power they have in 6th gear, and see if there's a high correlation. :p

That is the true fun, modding a little car and taking on others that are not expecting it, the more costly the car the usually more arrogant and most often less skilled the driver the more fun it is. I have purposely built my car to do such things, on track, on occasion I have to admit it is tempting at other times;)

It has far more power than I really need except to hang with some pretty intense cars on longer straights on track, if not for that the Cyborg would of been more than enough for my needs and fun level. When I had the first one tuned to just 220WHP I was 5 seconds faster around the MMP outer loop, one of the fastest and thus HP tracks in the US than the national champ Spec Miata record and 4 seconds slower than a newly built and very costly Caymen R full race car, with the current approx 300WHP and soon 325 or more......I would like to drive that track again;)

I gave a ride to a C6 Vette and a newer Porsche owner recently and they were blown away by my cars power, handling and brakes and it was just a short ride and not all out. I also gave a ride to my business manager/partner than owns several modded and fast big bore sport bikes, damp roads, not enough grip even in 4th, he was shocked at how quick the car is even in that condition(where a bike can bight you in the arse instantly if not very careful especially, I know, I've been through a bus stop at 70MPH, not fun)

------------

rallytaff,
Welcome to the higher up the hill gang of FiST owners, over the hill is when we die in my opinion and how I live my life, in a few months I will be 64, not long after 65 and looking forward to it:) I retired at 60 but sometimes think of starting a new business, like the last one for fun and independence but in a different field to make it more interesting.

We were at Lake Elsinore for 6 days or so a few weeks ago, it would of been great to meet up with our SoCal brothers, and any sisters of course, just rained all the time. Not sure when we will be in the area again but will post it up and gladly meet up, share rides, etc....at an event would be even better, autocross, track day, just a meet....I used to arrange car audio meets and competitions years ago in the San Diego area, great fun.

35MPG is the factory rating so not bad considering driving it like it was meant to be used and if you are happy with the power then great, enjoy it as you are of course:):):)

Have a great weekend!
Rick
What turbo do you have in your FiSt?

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Correct:)
I believe most people would be very happy with a well tuned Cyborg as that would provide plenty of power for the weight and size of this car and a far better power band than the stock turbo, very reasonable cost, easy to install, etc....if not for my goal to run with Vettes, etc, on track I would of stuck with the one I had.

The EFR just has to much lag but when it gets it on it is much more than fast enough for all my needs except the Vettes, etc, on track, changing it out to get a wider power band, stock turbo to much torque down low, falls on its face to fast, EFR, no no torque until past 4k and then it hits like the stock turbo but also pulls all the way to 7300 which it the current redline.

I was going to go with the GTX2860R to ensure I had the HP I wanted but was concerned with a bit of lag then we have seen the incredible powerband of the GT2560R billet wheel setup and I just had to decide to go that route. I might come in a bit less with the high flow cat, recirc BOV and WG back into the exhaust but am willing to as that is how I prefer to have my car setup.

It might end up a little below my power goals but I can easily make up a lot of ground in the corners and under braking as my car is exceptionally good there and most super performance car owners are pretty easy to out drive, I did say most, not all obviously but I do not need to be faster than all, just most:) It will be far easier to drive fast anywhere with nearly instant power across the entire rev range.

rallytaff

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Hi Rick, glad to know there's at least one more 'old' teen out there! By all means let me know when you're down here again and we'll see if we can get a few more members and their steeds together.

RAAMaudio, I totally agree with your first paragraph. Many have tried and failed. Lots of hp but don't know how to handle it!

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
There are quite a few of us here and many with quite well modded cars:)

It would be great to have a meet, more fun for us older guys the more of us that showed up to show some of these young guns we still know how to have fun!

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
We will be down in Tucson for the big Gem show and before, so far the 4th through the 11th but need a few more days or another week there, then likely to the Phoenix area for a month so I can get the turbo swap finally done. Once things get taken care of there we will decided depending on track schedules, etc where to head next.

I wanted to keep the car as stock as possible without going overboard on costs and equipment. Cobb cat downpipe and catback exhaust and larger intercooler and a slight but very clever tweak by Raffi of FSWerks fame on the AccessPort. Just for giggles, we put it on the dyno afterwards and saw 190hp and 271 lbs/ft of torque, equating to roughly 218 hp at the crank and 330 lbs/ft. Quite impressive figures without going with a bigger turbo. I want reliability and I have more than enough power for quick bursts on the go pedal without even having to change down from 6th. No peak power, just raw power through all the gears and then some.

Now have Pirelli P Zero-Nero's and H & R coilovers for a slightly smoother ride. Last mod is new matt black wheels from Braid to complete the package.

That is absolutely not 330 wtrq with a correction from 271. Nice try though. Also, please stop stepping on the gas in 6th. If you like that kinda thing on the highway, awesome, but also post pictures when you grenade the engine.

[sadpanda] When ya want safe power or to learn something contact Panda.