Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Stock turbo fists-Can you hook in 2nd gear? If so, what tires

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Our cars have that little clearance ? How do people fit 215s? Do they have to do extensive body work and cutting ? Are you saying they have to be low profile summer tires in order to fit? Or no 215s will fit ?
I was thinking in terms of 16" wheel sizes, and that there are NO 215/45-16 (well, maybe ONE which is almost a snow tire!) all seasons available, and any more profile in that 215/xx-16 size WILL rub, even at factory ride height and with no flaps.

There are NO 225/45-16 all seasons (and they may rub anyway if there were, depending on the wear on your factory dampers and springs, lowered??; FORGET ABOUT IT!), and any 225/50-16, or 225/55-16s will most likely not even allow the car to roll forward due to fender well contact.

As Intuit has stated above, at least at (fresh) factory ride height, no mud flaps, and 7" wide wheels, there are 205/45-17 and 215/45-17 tires which will work, but possibly with some rubbing in some scenarios.

225/40-17s do not exist in even 300+ tread wear summer street tires, let alone ANY all seasons, and I would not even attempt to drive this car on 225/45-17s, even with fresh factory ride height suspension, and no mud flaps at all.

OP
Stkid93

Stkid93

Premium Account
Thread Starter #22
I just looked up 225/40/17 on tire rack and there’s 3 tires for that size. 2 are hooziers which are $400 per tire. And there’s 1 continental extreme contact summer tire for 250/tire. It’s an extreme performance summer tire. So while it’s expensive, it does give us at least 1 option for that size. Will that size even work?

It really seems like this is a problem someone should have worked out by now. How has no one figured out a solution to this. Obviously if you get huge fender flares and spacers that would work. But you would think that the car should be able to easily go up 10-20 mm without much issues even if have to use a small spacer. 205 width tires just aren’t big enough for our cars.

how are companies not making more 225/40/17 tires. It seems like a very common size for hot hatch’s and compact sports cars. Going up to a 225/45/17 gives you way more options. but you said that wouldn’t work at all.

so that leaves us with 1 225/40/17 option. Which doesn’t sound like it would even work. At least 215/45/17 has plenty of options. But you may have rubbing? Will you only rub on those if you are lowered? Or do you rub with stock height? If that’s the case you probably can’t even use them when your lowered.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
I just looked up 225/40/17 on tire rack and there’s 3 tires for that size. 2 are hooziers which are $400 per tire. And there’s 1 continental extreme contact summer tire for 250/tire. It’s an extreme performance summer tire. So while it’s expensive, it does give us at least 1 option for that size. Will that size even work?

It really seems like this is a problem someone should have worked out by now. How has no one figured out a solution to this. Obviously if you get huge fender flares and spacers that would work. But you would think that the car should be able to easily go up 10-20 mm without much issues even if have to use a small spacer. 205 width tires just aren’t big enough for our cars.

how are companies not making more 225/40/17 tires. It seems like a very common size for hot hatch’s and compact sports cars. Going up to a 225/45/17 gives you way more options. but you said that wouldn’t work at all.

so that leaves us with 1 225/40/17 option. Which doesn’t sound like it would even work. At least 215/45/17 has plenty of options. But you may have rubbing? Will you only rub on those if you are lowered? Or do you rub with stock height? If that’s the case you probably can’t even use them when your lowered.
heres the deal for all seasons in 16 you are looking at a 205/45 which is what I have on my car currently and the car handles great with them. Oh and ya I am on coilovers on stock suspension they would look small. If you want more tire choices you could go 15. . As for 17 you can run a 215/45 without rubbing as long as you decamber them some with camber plates or bolts. Negative camber is fun anyways as it helps turn in and makes the car corner better.
The cars chassis was never designed for 17’s and most people that run 17’these days on other cars run a lot more tire than the rubber bands chosen for our cars. Hence why not many manufacturers a 205/40 17 is a tiny tire. 16’s are no longer a popular wheel size. As most small car manufacters either put 15’s on or go big on 17’s and even 18’s . 18’s are the new popular size but 19‘s have been gaining ground on the bigger cars. Its just the way it is.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club

Yes, I know about the three 'track ONLY' tires you've mentioned, but you were asking about all seasons specifically, so that's why I did not bring those up at all. [wink]

Yokohama used to offer the original, 300 tread wear summer only, now LONG gone, Advan V701(?) in a 225/35-17 size, and they currently offer the updated, also 300 tread wear summer only as well, Fleva version of that tire in a 235/40-17, but that is pushing it at 24.4" tall on top of the width.

@Woods247 has put some fairly wide and tall 17s on his open track car without the use of flares, but he has done some extensive front fender and wheel well mods to accomplish this fitment.

At one point he was considering some 245/40-17 gumball track donuts, but i am not sure if he ever even tried those out or not.

Woods247

2000 Post Club
I’ve been all through this.. Any tire over 23.8” diameter is going to contact the front fender/bumper mounts. That’s why I cut mine out. I run a 235/40/17 that’s 24.4” in diameter and it took many hours of work to make it fit safely. A 245/35/17 would fit as well but anything taller won’t work without flares and fender well mods. A 215/45/17 will smack the fender brackets even at stock height.

Best bet without heavily modifying the car is 215/40/17. Some models run wider than others but the diameter is the same, which is what matters most. 215/40/17 RT615K+ are at least an inch narrower than RT660 for instance. The 225/40/17 Continental will fit too, as it runs narrow. That’s a fantastic endurance tire but too expensive for street use in my opinion.

215 Federal RS Pro, RT615K+ or RT660 would be better options since they’re cheap and offer good grip for street. The RT660 and RS Pro will manage the stock turbos torque a bit better but I still have severe inside tire wheelspin (with MFactory diff, X47 and e30) at corner exit using 235 RT660s. I recently spent a lot of cash on a new trans with a Gripper diff to eliminate that problem. On the street I just use 215/40/17 Federal 595RSR because they’re cheap.

OP
Stkid93

Stkid93

Premium Account
Thread Starter #30
Alright, thanks for the info. But doesn’t anyone else think this was a huge oversight on fords end? You spent money upgrading the trans, engine, etc. but you leave the tire basically the same as the regular fiesta? They should have seen this being an issue. Even at stock power

Woods247

2000 Post Club
Of course. They also chose 4x108 which is dumb. I definitely could’ve sold the car and bought something more practical for my purpose but having to problem solve for these oversights is one of the reasons I enjoy it. If I didn’t have the time or interest in modifying stuff, I’d buy a GR Corolla for roughly what I have in the Fiesta and be done.

Edit: The Fiesta is light though. That’s really hard to find in modern hatchbacks.

Last edited:

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
The other advantage of the 215/40-17s is that there are at least some all season offerings in that size, if that is what one needs.

But, with the exception of (maybe?) the Neo Gens, they are not very grippy for even a tuned, but otherwise fully factory engine, and they give up A LOT in the cold wet, or any frozen precipitation.

You cannot 'have it all' in a compromise(d), one way or another, all season tire! [nono]

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
If I didn’t have the time or interest in modifying stuff, I’d buy a GR Corolla for roughly what I have in the Fiesta and be done.

Edit: The Fiesta is light though. That’s really hard to find in modern hatchbacks.
I wonder just how much weight can be pulled out of those GRs, if one really tried, and was willing to invest in many carbon fiber body panels (IF they are even available at this point? [dunno]).

OP
Stkid93

Stkid93

Premium Account
Thread Starter #34
Yeah it seems like every hot batch is a minimum of 3100 lbs these days. With the all wheel drive options. Going as high as 3600 lbs. granted they do have more power than the fist

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I run Falkien RT615k+ In a P215/40r17 in a 200aa no issues on BT DHM360r with Wavetrac* Still slip some but not alot. The biggest Mod to help with Slipping/ Wheel hop is a 2 or 4 point bar for the lower control arm. Then a 200aa Tire Helps with grip too.[driving]

Dpro

6000 Post Club
I love my FiST even with the tire wheel limitations a GR Corolla is coming into my realm sometime in the next couple of years because it just makes a lot of sense. I did sit in a GR Yaris when I was in Japan and absolutely loved it. None the less the FiST still brings a smile to my face.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
I wonder just how much weight can be pulled out of those GRs, if one really tried, and was willing to invest in many carbon fiber body panels (IF they are even available at this point? [dunno]).
I can report back as their is a whole weight thread going on the GRC forum as people are actively chasing that.

215 40 R17 615k+s and custom E40 tune.. Second spins to redline when under 45* and to 4k when warmer..

Putting 300wtq down through the front is a struggle for sure