Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Stock turbo waste-gate upgrade finally a real world comparison “finished 11/3”

OP
Gogoggansgo
Thread Starter #21
That’s some pretty good gains. I’ve had a TS 14psi WGA sitting on the shelf forever. I should install it since the FiST only gets driven on the weekends
Peak to peak it’s 10-12whp but under the curve it’s closer too 20

OP
Gogoggansgo
Thread Starter #24
Another map update looks like Brian added more boost but took away a few degrees of timing, kinda of a wash because i didn’t really do much other than make the numbers lower however butt dyno it pulls harder so go figure

Attachments

OP
Gogoggansgo
Thread Starter #25
he added more boost enriched the afr to 12.2 instead of 12.5 but took away some spark advance under the curve interesting

OP
Gogoggansgo
Thread Starter #26
Be aware i has to rush these v dynos so a few aren’t right and i forgot to add his wheel and tire combo

basically it’s a wash

Does the stock turbo car have a stock turbo elbow? If not, there could be another test with a bigger one.

On the Tune+ website it says " This (bigger turbo elbow) can be installed on the factory turbo as well for a couple more horsepower in the top end (5-10hp MAX on average). "

Anyways thank you for the great info on the waste gate upgrade.

Whoosh Motorsport makes one too. I have it on my stock turbo.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Yup, but it was discontinued recently and now Ron sells the Airtec Motorsports enlarged turbo inlet in its place.

The Airtec has a bigger small side at 48mm vs the older Whoosh V2 at 44mm.

Did you notice any performance gain??

CarGuy

1000 Post Club
Yup, but it was discontinued recently and now Ron sells the Airtec Motorsports enlarged turbo inlet in its place.

The Airtec has a bigger small side at 48mm vs the older Whoosh V2 at 44mm.

Did you notice any performance gain??
I didn't run it on the dyno before or after so I can't say for sure. I also run the Whoosh crossover pipe and Mountune air box and silicone intake pipe. I'd definitely say that the sound is different but I'm not willing to say my butt-o-meter would say anything more. I'm a numbers guy. If I don't have proof from testing then I'd rather not speculate. When I worked for Motor Trend magazine we tested lots of tuner vehicles and many, many times they put out worse numbers than stock because they just slapped parts on but clearly never tested them to verify that they made any improvements. I learned to trust the testing and the numbers generated from it rather than word of mouth or someone's butt saying it was better. Lol

OP
Gogoggansgo
Thread Starter #31
right now the game plan is to do both the turbo inlet and the ported exhaust manifold

OP
Gogoggansgo
Thread Starter #32
I didn't run it on the dyno before or after so I can't say for sure. I also run the Whoosh crossover pipe and Mountune air box and silicone intake pipe. I'd definitely say that the sound is different but I'm not willing to say my butt-o-meter would say anything more. I'm a numbers guy. If I don't have proof from testing then I'd rather not speculate. When I worked for Motor Trend magazine we tested lots of tuner vehicles and many, many times they put out worse numbers than stock because they just slapped parts on but clearly never tested them to verify that they made any improvements. I learned to trust the testing and the numbers generated from it rather than word of mouth or someone's butt saying it was better. Lol

well here is a direct before and after with the wastegate on the final tuning brian is very happy with the results. but there is a few caviats
1) the 93 before log had a gallon or so of corn in the tank and that did help out the midrange otherwise they would be on top of each other
2) the big gains are on corn like wow and we are also looking at e40 right now for testing

the finals numbers are 10-15whp above the stock wastegate and the power curve is much more linear

Attachments

Cool to see. I put on the 7psi WGA and the GFB DV before I got my Dizzy tune mainly due to reports of holding boost better and having smoother response. I love the feel of the engine, and glad to see that the output should be good throughout the powerband!

OP
Gogoggansgo
Thread Starter #36
really curious the gains you get from the ported manifold
Even if it’s 10whp that’ll be enough to push this car into world record territory for the stock turbo. That’s the goal for the setup this years is to hit 240-250whp stock turbo and on a real world dyno just to show what we can do for shits and giggles

I would agree if the ST was full interior but going all out and gutting everything like those top two guys with the stock turbo holders? I think the Fiesta would be at least 100 or 200lbs lighter than 2700lb. The only other thing I believe would be a relevant factor is launching with that amount of torque. I know several platforms at that whp level and approximate weight running 12s all day. Some with slicks, some without. Depends on driver and to a certain extent, suspension setup. The difference, to me, is the Fiesta has more torque than the other platforms I witnessed running 12s at this whp level and approximate weight, hence, the significance of the holeshot.\

Outside of that, looking forward to your endeavor.

Jabbit

2000 Post Club
I would agree if the ST was full interior but going all out and gutting everything like those top two guys with the stock turbo holders? I think the Fiesta would be at least 100 or 200lbs lighter than 2700lb. The only other thing I believe would be a relevant factor is launching with that amount of torque. I know several platforms at that whp level and approximate weight running 12s all day. Some with slicks, some without. Depends on driver and to a certain extent, suspension setup. The difference, to me, is the Fiesta has more torque than the other platforms I witnessed running 12s at this whp level and approximate weight, hence, the significance of the holeshot.\

Outside of that, looking forward to your endeavor.
I got my car down to 2400 and I have a bit more to go. 2nd seat and cage will add back a decent amount of weight, close to another 100 :-(