Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Strange noise

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
The FiST started making a rather odd sound in the first gear - as it gets going, there is a brief "knocking/rumbling" sound (rather soft, but loud enough, not metal clanging on anything like that) that seems to come from below, next to the right hip, where the handbrake is located (it has nothing to do with it, just as indication of position). It's not happening every time, but it is a new thing, and only manifests when I am at low speed (under 10 mph) moving from a complete stop. Have difficulty describing it - it is a series of 4-5 "knocks/rumbles", in rapid succession, almost feels like it is knocking on the underside of the car...

I haven't looked underneath yet, but it is in an odd spot. This can't be synchros?

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
The FiST started making a rather odd sound in the first gear - as it gets going, there is a brief "knocking/rumbling" sound (rather soft, but loud enough, not metal clanging on anything like that) that seems to come from below, next to the right hip, where the handbrake is located (it has nothing to do with it, just as indication of position). It's not happening every time, but it is a new thing, and only manifests when I am at low speed (under 10 mph) moving from a complete stop. Have difficulty describing it - it is a series of 4-5 "knocks/rumbles", in rapid succession, almost feels like it is knocking on the underside of the car...

I haven't looked underneath yet, but it is in an odd spot. This can't be synchros?
See if it does it when coasting to a stop. Be in gear, 10-15mph, clutch in and slow to a stop. Does it make that sound? Mine was making a similar light knocking sound, I was able to isolate it by decelerating clutch in, clutch out, clutch in revving the engine (to rule out engine noise). Once I isolated it I took it to the dealer and demonstrated the issue - they replaced both axles and axle seals. (Then the next day they replaced the seals again because they were puking oil everywhere, but thats a different issue.)

Even after the axle replacement I still hear a very distant, slight tapping when rolling to a stop that isn't engine related, doesn't seem trans related, it only seems wheel-speed related. I kinda figured that the residual noise the the fabled DMF since that noisy mofo clicks and clacks away when going in/out of gear.

Last edited:
OP
maestromaestro

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #3
See if it does it when coasting to a stop. Be in gear, 10-15mph, clutch in and slow to a stop. Does it make that sound? Mine was making a similar light knocking sound, I was able to isolate it by decelerating clutch in, clutch out, clutch in revving the engine (to rule out engine noise). Once I isolated it I took it to the dealer and demonstrated the issue - they replaced both axles and axle seals. (Then the next day they replaced the seals again because they were puking oil everywhere, but thats a different issue.)

Even after the axle replacement I still hear a very distant, slight tapping when rolling to a stop that isn't engine related, doesn't seem trans related, it only seems wheel-speed related. I kinda figured that the residual noise the the fabled DMF since that noisy mofo clicks and clacks away when going in/out of gear.
Would you expect this to come from where I am pretty sure it is coming from? Middle of the car, not front, not rear.

I am interested in this as well. I’m trying to find where noise is coming from to. It’s almost like a light rattle rumble sound when in in 2-3rd gear. You got me curious now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve been hearing a creaking and tapping noise that I’ve isolated to my seat. Anytime my butt shifts forwards or backwards it creaks/clicks/taps. It’s the butt cushion but I don’t know what would cause it.

Spork1569

I’ve been hearing a creaking and tapping noise that I’ve isolated to my seat. Anytime my butt shifts forwards or backwards it creaks/clicks/taps. It’s the butt cushion but I don’t know what would cause it.

The only logical solution is to strip out all 5 seats and replace em with Recaros(assuming you don't already have em that is)

Possibly the garbage ass exhaust hanger taking a shit.

OP
maestromaestro

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #9
Mine is - I'm pretty sure - coming from underneath somewhere. It's possible that it is transmitted down the "driveshaft" channel from the front, but I almost can feel the vibration when I hear the sound.

That's a thought. But, mine are Cobb, and when I changed oil last time, they looked tight.
Big difference between looks tight and is tight, since they are Cobb that greatly reduces the chances but worth a tug to see. Doesn’t take much motion for it to move especially at low speeds

Or maybe a torn heat shield (or anything for that matter) rubbing in the tunnel

OP
maestromaestro

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #13
I'll poke around - not holding my breath though about this being something as obvious as a bad hanger or heat shield. That'd be great - easy fix. Then again, if it's the tranny - LSD, here I come! [emoji4]

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club

Mine does that! but up near the right shoulder somewhere when I move side to side. I chalked it up as a normal FiST sound.

OP
maestromaestro

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #15
Possibly the garbage ass exhaust hanger taking a shit.

Motherf-ker!!!!!

@DieselMech - spot on, dear sir! I was going to put it on my lift tonight, and as I waited for the security gate to open up, this turd actually fell down on my driveway. If you squint enough, it looks like it says on it "Cobb POS"

Last edited:
Motherf-ker!!!!!

@DieselMech - spot on, dear sir! I was going to put it on my lift tonight, and as I waited for the security gate to open up, this turd actually fell down on my driveway. If you squint enough, it looks like it says on it "Cobb POS"

What??? I thought the Cobb ones were supposed to be good!