Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Strange Sound (almost like a wastegate dumping to atmos)

I haven't had a chance to get the car in. Due to go in next Wednesday. I've been in Daytona for testing for a few weeks.
Testing in Daytona? Do tell!

I want to loop your customer service manager in on this. Please send me a private message with your VIN, mileage, best daytime phone, full name, and dealer name/location.

Meagan

OP
aballphoto
Thread Starter #24

I want to loop your customer service manager in on this. Please send me a private message with your VIN, mileage, best daytime phone, full name, and dealer name/location.

Meagan
Roar before the 24, and stand-by driver (if someone loses their lunch, I'm standing by).

I will PM you those details.

OP
aballphoto
Thread Starter #25

Meagan
PM Sent.

Car goes in for service today.

OP
aballphoto
Thread Starter #27
After removing my winter wheels, the issue has gone away. I did not have TPMS sensors on my winter wheels and I am thinking that the car may have some functionality to reduce boost and open the wastegate when there is a TPMS fault.

cmayer91

After removing my winter wheels, the issue has gone away. I did not have TPMS sensors on my winter wheels and I am thinking that the car may have some functionality to reduce boost and open the wastegate when there is a TPMS fault.
This is an interesting thought. Often times this winter I thought the car seemed a little bit slower than normal. I thought it was just due to the snow tires I have on my car. I also do not have TPMS in my winter wheels and the idea of boost restriction due to a TPMS fault sounds like it makes some sense.

Has anyone else had the issue that aballphoto described here?

rexdriver85

This is interesting because I really had no intention of running TPMS in my winter setup. This is the first car I've ever owned with TPMS, honestly it's just another damn sensor to go bad eventually. Can do without them. Lol.

Would really like to know if TPMS faults can cause performance decreases in this vehicle though.

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
How?

The only time I have heard that is when the wastegate "flutters" / surges because of an electrical issue or calibration issue. This you can hear in the intake and is pretty loud. Our BOV are a electronic solenoid so no real vacuum line issue there. If you want to poke around I would check the wastagate lines like said before. Also if you don't want the dealer to check the car I would be down to ship you my old sound symposer to test with or you can take yours apart. But from the sounds I might go to the dealer and make some noise.

Im curious as to what this is and what it sounds like.

Russ
Can boost pressure release if the solenoid fails?