Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Streets of Willow 5/29/16 Stock cooling maxed out

Pete

Since the last time I was at the track the following was changed on my car;
Intercooler went from Mountune to Mishimoto J line,
Dedicated track wheels/tires Yokohama Advan A048 195/50/16 on 16x7 +40 rota's
Custom rear strut/C pillar bar from TB Performance
Front springs reduced from 425 to 350
Rear springs moved from factory location back onto the coilover still 425 rear rate
Passenger seat removed for track day with the addition of the normal gutting of the car.

This track day was at Streets of Willow going clockwise

It was a warm/hot day. Morning track temps were low 80's, by midday we were in the high 80's and temperatures kept rising. I saw a high of 94 degrees outside. It was a packed day as the Redline time attack was also competing on this track day. I got the chance to enter as well as have my normal track times. I went out a total of 7 times out on the track! Hardly any down time for me to check times until the end of the day, as I was adjusting tire pressure, or getting to go out for another session. A lot of cool cars out on the track, talked to a fellow with a Mono BAC and wow is that an amazing machine. I started in the intermediate class for the first session but it was just too crowded. I asked to be bumped up as I wanted to hit a new personal best and hopefully break into the 1:29 area. So they put me into the semi advance class. All this happened while that group was already out. So I hurried to my car, went out while everyone was up to temps whereas I was not and in a panic went off track at one point. Nothing to major just enough to get all four tires off and have to go in to the hot pits for a quick inspection before setting off again. It did make me super glad I had my skidplate as there is a nice gouge in it from that event. The next time running with the group I started on grid with them and did much better being calm and being able to getting everything up to temps with everyone else. I was for sure out ranked for the most part when it came to comparing cars. But The fiesta held its own when it could and it was a blast to drive with some cars ranging in the 100k+ price range. After the session a lot of the drivers came up to talk with me about the fiesta as they couldn't believe how quick it was. Let along all the gear I had brought with me and was able to fit in the vehicle.

Now lets talk about our cooling system. In traffic and when outside temps were below 85 degrees I saw a max of 235 for my coolant temps. This was running without the heater so it was all the radiators work. For a refresher my grill is opened up and I was running water with 2 bottles of royal purple ice. Going into the semi advance and even doing the time attack runs outside temps rose, and so did my coolant temps. I found myself having to do 1 to 2 cool down laps and 1 or 2 hot laps. As temps got into the 90's I was only able to do one hot lap if I started at coolant temps at 217 any hotter and I would hit 245 on the back straight and have to back off my run. But I wasn't the only car having heat issues as I noticed the cars in the $50k range new would have to do something similar with cool down laps. My next item of choice will be a radiator as I could feel my power dropping with the rising temps.

Intercooler comparison. Last time at SoW I was running a Mountune intercooler and it was 60ish degrees that day, my charge temps were over 130! This time around I tested the Mishimoto J line and there was an improvement. On a hot day of 90+ degrees the mishimoto would be around 120 degrees at the end of my hot laps. It was pretty easy to cool down as well where the mountune appeared to be heat soaked and the heat wouldn't go away. So there was an improvement but I have already ordered the DHM intercooler so I will be testing that next time out on the track.

Tires, wow! Reading my last review I stated I felt like I needed an LSD to put all the power down. Well with the stock turbo and running e30 I did not feel that way this time running these tires. The yokohama's had a tremendous amount of grip compared to the re71r's I was running last time. I also feel upon inspection the wear is better as well since they are designed to handle the extreme temps of track use. Even for the 195 series it fills the 7 inch wide wheel very well. I bought the lotus versions as reference since tire rack has a deal on them at the moment with a rebate and such. It took one lap to get the tires warm but 2 to make them really sticky. They really grabbed in the braking zone/turn in and then with powering out of turns I was able to go WOT much sooner then before. In the bowl I was even able to got straight to WOT right after braking and starting the turn. I can see these tires lasting 5-6 track days at least in tread depth. For the stock turbo these are wonderful and it makes me curious how a hybrid/big turbo would do (probably need an lsd then).

Time Attack
This was a new experience for myself and I was competing against another Fiesta ST. The Fiesta was completely stock, the driver however was a very experienced track driver. With a built turbocharged Scion TC for modified FWD and with 5 years of doing time attack racing. This experience completely humbled me and I hope to one day be as good of a driver. During our time attack sessions he got a 1:33.9 and I got in my fiesta a 1:33.6. I barely beat a stock fiesta around the track with all the mods I have. This just went to show me that money is better spent on the driver with track experience then anything else.

Suspension
Turn in was remarkable but I think I am going to go with a 375 rate on the front and reduce my camber from -3.3 to -3.0 as I see just a bit more wear on the inside of the tire. And in hard braking the rear end was a little too loose for my liking. I will probably adjust the camber first before changing the spring rates to be certain.

Overview: I had a lot of fun and once I got into a groove with the fiesta in the semi-advance class it made things much better. My best time on the regular track sessions was a 1:32.4 just missing my PB by .2 of a second. But it was much hotter today and everyone I talked to said you go much faster in the cooler weather. I got some great video's so I will be saving some slots below to upload those when I finish. I am trying something new with camera angles and screens so let me know how you like them. In the meantime here are some photos to feed your appetite.

OP
Pete

Pete

Thread Starter #3
First run intermediate class. Lots of traffic and stubborn mustangs who won't let me pass..

[video=youtube;10cruO4y0X8]https://youtu.be/10cruO4y0X8[/video]

This second one is my first round in semi advance. I let my nerves get the best of my and overpushed the car taking all the wrong lines leading to my rally moment.

[video=youtube;l3RAm5CMY8k]https://youtu.be/l3RAm5CMY8k[/video]

My second time out with the semi advance class. This was my fourth run after my first time attack run.

[video=youtube;qwuIfOnZrq0]https://youtu.be/qwuIfOnZrq0[/video]

My Time attack run

[video=youtube;ye___ivBbH0]https://youtu.be/ye___ivBbH0[/video]

OP
Pete

Pete

Thread Starter #5
Not yet. I am in the process of editing and putting them together. Rendering is taking long then usual but that is probably because I am putting 3 1080pi videos on one screen. I finished editing one working on the next now. Will upload to youtube when I finish them all :)

Siestarider

What a great report! Congrats on winning the time trial.

Your enthusiasm is infectious. So many facets to a good track day. Heat is on all of us now, I actually fried my right ankle Saturday running the heater full blast, have to get some high socks or fab up a heat deflector in the foot well.

I have not had IC overheat issues so far, but still on stock turbo too. After 4 track days the Rival S is near wear bars. Much better performance out of them since first trackday, they needed the heat cure.

I agree, best mod for tracking is seat time for the driver. Plus its the most fun.

Yes great write up. Hope to see you at the track again but I don't think I'll be taking the fiesta anymore or any time soon.

OP
Pete

Pete

Thread Starter #8
Yes great write up. Hope to see you at the track again but I don't think I'll be taking the fiesta anymore or any time soon.
I think you will. I'll be at the next redline time attack it was so fun. It would be awesome to see your scion out there. Do you think I should go down a class and throw the interior back in?

Also two videos posted and two more to come later.

people had a very similar experience with me in abarths back in the day.

whereas most people spent their money on mods. i spent it on track days, tires, and instruction. by the time there was a big fiat only race event, i took 3rd place in a stock car, with over 15k in mods combined in the cars in front of me, and 4k in the car behind me.

talking with people, i found i had seen probably 100+ more laps around tracks that most guys had seen that year.

no mod has better returns, and i mean no mod has better returns, than upgrading the operator.

just be glad randy pobst wasnt in a versa with an intake in that event. he would have won by 5 seconds.

OP
Pete

Pete

Thread Starter #10
In my hurry to post, I put the wrong month it seems. Can an admin please fix that in the title. It was May not June. Thank you!

OP
Pete

Pete

Thread Starter #13
people had a very similar experience with me in abarths back in the day.

whereas most people spent their money on mods. i spent it on track days, tires, and instruction. by the time there was a big fiat only race event, i took 3rd place in a stock car, with over 15k in mods combined in the cars in front of me, and 4k in the car behind me.

talking with people, i found i had seen probably 100+ more laps around tracks that most guys had seen that year.

no mod has better returns, and i mean no mod has better returns, than upgrading the operator.

just be glad randy pobst wasnt in a versa with an intake in that event. he would have won by 5 seconds.
Yes I agree and can see that now. Most of my money will be spent on track days for the experience verses getting that next big mod. As fun as it is to build a car, racing it on track is even more rewarding! I would love for randy to be out there. I enjoy talking to the fast people asking them about lines and such. Even more so trying to follow there lines!

What a great report! Congrats on winning the time trial.

Your enthusiasm is infectious. So many facets to a good track day. Heat is on all of us now, I actually fried my right ankle Saturday running the heater full blast, have to get some high socks or fab up a heat deflector in the foot well.

I have not had IC overheat issues so far, but still on stock turbo too. After 4 track days the Rival S is near wear bars. Much better performance out of them since first trackday, they needed the heat cure.

I agree, best mod for tracking is seat time for the driver. Plus its the most fun.
Thank you! My goal is to try and get more people to do track events. It is so rewarding to push our cars and then see what other cars can do. Also everyone I have met who tracks has been so friendly. I try to have a walk around the pits and chat with as many of the fast drivers as I can. It really is a wonderful experience with going alone and driving three hours to the track. I agree when the heater is on its a bit brutal on these hot days. I really am impressed with these tires. I'll make sure to post in the track tire page.

I think you will. I'll be at the next redline time attack it was so fun. It would be awesome to see your scion out there. Do you think I should go down a class and throw the interior back in?

Also two videos posted and two more to come later.
If you want streets class then you won't be able to use the Yokohama tires on street class. You will have to use your re71-r tires.

OP
Pete

Pete

Thread Starter #15
If you want streets class then you won't be able to use the Yokohama tires on street class. You will have to use your re71-r tires.
Yeah I remember hearing that. Ugh and I just bought the Yokohamas haha. Meh I'll have fun in modified then and start learning all the tracks

OP
Pete

Pete

Thread Starter #16
Yeah I remember hearing that. Ugh and I just bought the Yokohamas haha. Meh I'll have fun in modified then and start learning all the tracks

Yea best to get to know the tracks, that's what I did before competing. But better to know while your competing and having fun as well. Competing makes you push the car a bit more than just going out there to have fun

Yea best to get to know the tracks, that's what I did before competing. But better to know while your competing and having fun as well. Competing makes you push the car a bit more than just going out there to have fun

OP
Pete

Pete

Thread Starter #20
Thanks man! I always enjoy chatting about the cars or the driving lines!

The third video is up on the 3rd post