Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Stuttering Under Load

SrsBsns

2015, 78K. 2J Intake, NGK -1's, Stratified 91 tune.

Car has been fantastic with no issues. A few days ago, I was driving up the 5 to LA when I got stuck behind a slow car. Dropped a gear to 5th and accelerated to pass and under throttle the car stuttered. I immediately backed off. AP showed that timing was pulled from cylinder 3 but nothing from 4 (the two that I monitor). I wasn't accelerating very hard but I don't remember boost psi or engine rpm. I was not WOT, probably ~50% and probably around 3K rpm. After letting off, the car drove fine to my destination but I kept it out of boost the whole time.

Drove it back to SD later and it was fine but I drove slowly.

Last night, I was getting onto the freeway and in 2nd or 3rd, while accelerating a little harder, it did it again. Sounded like it backfired a little. No timing corrections this time on 3 or 4.

No CEL. Car idles perfectly and starts right up with no problems and no extra cranking. Drives normally too except for these two instances where it seems to miss under harder acceleration.

I ran a datalog this morning on the way to work but I don't expect to see anything. I kept it under 5lbs of boost pretty much the whole trip and the car was completely normal.

No leaking fluids or anything that I can see.

Does this sound like a failing coil? Plug issue? My NGK's are probably just over a year old. I haven't had a chance to take them out yet for inspection but I'll most likely do that tonight. Any other thoughts?

haste

1000 Post Club
I found I would have a "misfire" issue like you are describing when the gap on my plugs would go out of spec. It doesn't take long. It normally would happen after cruising for a while then trying to get on it hard. I think mountunes recommendation of replacing plugs every 10k miles on a tuned engine is a good idea. I've thought about pulling my plugs at 10k and just regapping them but I haven't tried that yet.

Had similar symptoms and also thought it was coils and plugs. Changed them and the issue did not go away. Turns out I had a failing CV joint. It never made any noise, but under high load and low RPMs it vibrated the car like a misfire. Worth a slip under the car to do a visual on your CV joints.

OP
SrsBsns

SrsBsns

Thread Starter #6
Ordered new plugs and coils. I'll follow up when they get here to see if it solves it.

OP
SrsBsns

SrsBsns

Thread Starter #7
Had similar symptoms and also thought it was coils and plugs. Changed them and the issue did not go away. Turns out I had a failing CV joint. It never made any noise, but under high load and low RPMs it vibrated the car like a misfire. Worth a slip under the car to do a visual on your CV joints.
I took a look last time I did my oil change... a few weeks ago... and it looked fine. I didn't see any wet spots or anything obvious that would indicate it's failing. I also don't get any noise when turning. Plus I know the car pulled timing when accelerating, so I don't think it's the CV. I can't imagine timing would be affected unless knock was detected.

OP
SrsBsns

SrsBsns

Thread Starter #8
Just to close the loop on this one...
Ordered NGK coils and Motorcraft OE plugs from Rockauto. Installed over the weekend. Fixed the problem completely.
The step 1 colder plugs I had on there looked fine, so I'm assuming one of the coils may have been starting to fail.

I did find some oil on the #1 and #2 coil packs, so I'm thinking I have a leaking VC gasket that I'll have to get around to doing.